Rokslide and Kuiu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like Craig4791 mentioned above I too really like there clothing gear and have been slowly purchasing piece by piece and I still might keep doing that I don't know ..... But to hear of this sucks especially kuiu which obviously has gotten plenty of business from us roksliders and you would think they would like the pack reviewed from an outside source and to be compared to others to look for improvements and what's great about it only to improve the product which in my eyes packs are one of the most talked about things on this forum and everyone owns multiple ones :) so why not take constructive criticism to make a better product for the guys that will be using them.

I'm pretty bummed to hear this......anyways off my soap box

I own a lot of kuiu clothing and it is great stuff. I also own several FirstLite pieces; in the woods I look like a bicompany marriage. Call it KuiuLite. That said I have never owned their packs; I just don't trust it for my needs. I am sure it is the cats meow for some. When it comes to packs, tents and sleeping bags I think they are simply leveraging their brand recognition to sell more product rather than making a better mouse trap. It is good stuff just not great in my opinion. I wish Jason and company had thicker skin!

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
Kind of reminds me of watching David Blanton shoot a bighorn in Montana the other night on TV with a TC Encore. WTF? Nothing like selling out to a sponsor. I have a lot of quality KUIU in my gear and glad I do, but I am concerned where they don't want to participate in an unbiased test conducted by an independent 3rd party. As I have said before, good competition is good for all of us as consumers, especially if the testers/reviewers are unbiased. Sorry that KUIU is not willing to play by the rules established by Rokslide. I can't see where Jason thinks that this is a good thing for KUIU unless this group is not perceived as the core buyers of KUIU products, and, maybe we aren't.

I have a KUIU Icon 1850. 2013 model. I'm not sure how someone breaks the frame if used properly. If throwing off a cliff is part of a test, then I don't blame them for not wanting it tested like that. Tests should be real world. Wh not just start running over all the packs with trucks also?

There are 2 sides to every story, but I respect the Rokslide decision. I soley own KUIU now and have never had a single problem with any product.

Wapiti66

Lil-Rokslider
I agree that it seems weird that they want to dictate the terms of the test. I jumped in on the Ultra 6000 preorder because it seems to meet my needs, had a very good price, and I was planning on a pack purchase this year. Seriously question placing that order now, not that I plan on throwing any pack off a cliff but other issues they could be hiding make me suspicious.???

Aside from my personal situation,
I too thank rokslide for sticking to their guns on the issue. Letting the companies dictate terms of testing is not a real review to me. I like the real truth.

Mtnboy

WKR
Thanks for letting us know Ryan.

I've read a lot of KUIU drama over the last year...I avoid drama....I'll be avoiding KUIU

chessie

FNG
I am surprised KUIU wanted to go down this road. If there was ever a target market for them I would think it would be this forum. I like some of their clothing, it fits me well. I have never tried any of their other equipment.

I would say this site is great and I continue to be impressed at the quality of people on here that are willing to help. There is very little of the "use the search function" or "that was just asked last week."

I have a KUIU Icon 1850. 2013 model. I'm not sure how someone breaks the frame if used properly. If throwing off a cliff is part of a test, then I don't blame them for not wanting it tested like that. Tests should be real world. Wh not just start running over all the packs with trucks also?

There are 2 sides to every story, but I respect the Rokslide decision. I soley own KUIU now and have never had a single problem with any product.

Ever fallen and taken a 10-20 ft slide down a bank while hunting, you ever use your pack for a seat on rocks ever bushwhack in thick brambles? It's a torture test, to exhibit the quality and durability of a pack.

bowinhand

WKR
Is the review going to be put up anyway:) I think they branched out to gear because they were afraid of competition from other clothing companies. I bought some clothing items from kuiu because they offered them in solid colors and Jason said they would always offer every item in solid colors but if you look at say, the guide pants it not or wasn't when it came out and this led me to believe that their products were just mountaineering clothing with a camo pattern.

shaun

WKR

I had to drop my pack about 8-10 feet this year off a cliff in AK this year. It does happen (especially if you cliff out) and knowing your pack will handle that is very comforting especially when you are miles in sheep country.

idig4au

WKR
Not too sure what to think about this post and some of the comments. The vast majority of my clothing is Kuiu not because of brand loyalty but due to fact that it works great for me and I'm very satisfied with it. I've never had problems with the supply chain, quality or function. I have a Kuiu icon 5000 pack and no issues with it other than I don't like all the straps on it. It's a great pack for day hunting\fishing or short overnight trips. I have no reason not to recommend it for this type of application. I also have Kifaru bikini with the 7k highcamp bag and the Emr II on order. I also have my beloved Barney's pack with their 7800 bag. All serve their purpose and have their appropriate application. I don't throw my packs off cliffs so I'm not concerned with that capability. I don't know of any lightweight product that will stand up to that kind of abuse if that is considered routine function.

This post and events on this forum will not make me change brands or anything of that nature for my clothing needs. Why would I change my proven clothing system over a pack test that isn't normal to begin with? Where is the logic in that?

What are they afraid of? They already know Kifaru is #1. They could only hope that a review would put them In the top 5. I say do it. Do you need their permission? I just wanted to see a review of their lite packs, since Kifaru does not make their KU line anymore. Kifaru should make the KU line again. With a disclaimer that repairs of torn packs will be charged or not repaired. I would buy one in a heart beat.

Ever fallen and taken a 10-20 ft slide down a bank while hunting, you ever use your pack for a seat on rocks ever bushwhack in thick brambles? It's a torture test, to exhibit the quality and durability of a pack.

Actually, yes. Several times this year while shed hunting in Colorado. The frame would have to take major abuse to break. I have punished my bag and frame. I have had zero issues with it. One thing I have not done, is have a 100 lb. load on it AND then drop it off a cliff. I understand Rokslides stance because it is their site.

The previous ICON frame has broken under normal use, I know one member here that has broken four of them.

Aron mentioned in an article about cameras losing his pack down the mountainside.

On a recent mountain goat hunt, my pack (with the mountain goat inside of it) slid down a mountain for about 300 feet. I wasn’t worried about the pack,

Stuff happens.

dotman

WKR
What are they afraid of? They already know Kifaru is #1. They could only hope that a review would put them In the top 5. I say do it. Do you need their permission? I just wanted to see a review of their lite packs, since Kifaru does not make their KU line anymore. Kifaru should make the KU line again. With a disclaimer that repairs of torn packs will be charged or not repaired. I would buy one in a heart beat.

All Kifaru would have to do is offer a ku type bag option for the bikini to make that happen. KU frame and suspension is pretty similar to the bikini minus the cross braces.

LaHunter

WKR
I understand Kuiu taking the position of not wanting the evaluation of their pack to involve being thrown off a cliff. There are lots of ways to evaluate a pack that do not involve tossing it off a cliff. I have read Kuiu, Kifaru, SG, etc pack reviews from RokSliders that didn't involve throwing the pack off a cliff, and they still gave good real life information. I don't see why the "cliff toss" was a deal breaker.

As far as getting told what to say in a tent or sleeping bag review, that is a deal breaker IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.