Rodents in vehicle at trailhead

2 of the last 3 years, while leaving our truck at the trailhead in Colorado for a 10 day hunt, I have come back to find shredded tissues in my truck where a rodent was in the cab. I have not had any damage or found the rodent but just seen the evidence from where it was.
Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping them out of the cab of my truck while in the backcountry hunting for ten days?

JoshOR

Lil-Rokslider
Parked at a trailhead in Montana, all the rigs had their hoods propped open. This discouraged the pack rats that were in the area from hanging out in there…

go_deep

WKR
Only had this happen once, and it was because I left food in the cab. I leave nothing in my cab that will in courage a rodent to want to get in. If it's napkins in the glove box, take them out, everything in the box of the truck.
On a side note my brother and Dad both did cold storage for years back in Wisconsin. Boats, campers, and cars in pole sheds that were not sealed tight, they put bounce dryer sheets all over in the boats, campers, and cars, never had a mouse in anything they stored in all the years they did that. Might be worth given that a shot.

*zap*

WKR
the big glue traps work good if you set them up right. screw onto a piece of wood so they cannot go far,

OP
G
Where do you place the traps around your vehicle? Are they climbing up the tires to get into the vehicle?

smithjd

FNG
The peppermint spray and these have worked for me:

And we tested the electronic ones in our guide tent and camp kitchen. They seemed to work when they were in and mice came around when off.

Looks like a mouse “disco” in the tent when they are on though.

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Mice and ground squirrels have declared war on me this year. Thanks for the Tundra mod tip, currently the AC is pumping out a rat piss aromas.

I had an old can of bear spray and sprayed it around my truck and in the wheel wells when I found mice under my hood. That was two years ago and it’s worked ever since!

Last edited:

JoshOR

Lil-Rokslider
No issue with folks helping themselves to car parts?
Didn’t seem to be. We were on a rafting trip and the shuttle service recommended the open hood. Most vehicles at the trailhead had hoods up, propped with a stick 1 1/2-2 ft, not wide open.