Robot vacuums

Jacack

WKR
Wife wants a roomba. Anyone have one and if so thoughts?

I can't see how it could work well but wondering real life experiences

Jared

My wife loves the thing. We have an indoor pet. It reduces her floor cleaning to a once a week job.
It does pretty good at keeping the pet hair to a minimum.
It’s a bit noisy and annoying, but quieter than the vacuum.

OP
J

Jacack

WKR
My wife loves the thing. We have an indoor pet. It reduces her floor cleaning to a once a week job.
It does pretty good at keeping the pet hair to a minimum.
It’s a bit noisy and annoying, but quieter than the vacuum.
thanks, that's exactly why she wants it, new puppy in the house and he loves to run around the dirt driveway
Jared

Colterw

FNG
I have found that it doesn't replace a regular vaccuum but it does a well enough job to justify having it. With two children and a golden retriever keeping the house clean is a full time job. It's too noisy to run when we're home but we'll set it loose when we leave and return home to a nicely vacuumed house. It does a good job on pet hair and carpet.

We got one, it works well. Still vacuum occasionally. Our preference was getting one that is “dumb”. Any that connect to the web map your house. It’s sounds crazy but you might start seeing furniture ads if it thinks you have room for a couch. The upside of connecting to the web is it supposedly uses that info to plan routes for the vacuum. Ours works well just bouncing around and it can you can tell it to go around the meshes of a room.

MattB

WKR
Bought one last Christmas. With our pets, our daughter, and our furniture, it didn't stick for us.

I have a barely used one I would be happy to sell.

Gutshotem

WKR
I'm on my second one. It works as a good supplement to vacuuming. Buy from Costco if you can for the warranty. Our first one shit the bed after about a year and a half and they took it back no questions asked.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have one up stairs where the carpet doesn’t get nearly the traffic or dog activity. Does great for that considering you turn it on and go do something else while it works. We only use the real vacuum up stairs every couple months. Down stairs where the carpet gets heavy use it’s not worth it.

Maintenance is so so. There’s several parts that need upkeep and replacement.

Firestone

WKR
We got one from costco. At first we hated it, never used it. We finally got wifi and i was able to adjust the settings on it and create a schedule, now we love it. Keeps are circle sawn floors and rugs clean. Everyday it gets a full bin of dog hair and dirt. It starts at 10:00 when we are at work and goes for about 1.5 hours, then its got to charge for about an hour before it finishes. We do have to dump the bin everyday.

zacattack

WKR
You don’t get a deep clean or sweep with them but for everyday use they are great. We really like ours. My only complaint is we have a dumb one that gets stuck a lot.

Kindo

WKR
Bought a Deebot off Amazon about 2.5 years ago. All we’ve needed to do is regular maintenance and replaced the battery after 2 years. The thing has been awesome and really helps manage the dog hair.

ODB

WKR
Dunno - I get a certain pleasure of vacuuming 3 or 4 days a week. Put headphones on and take it nice and slow. Something satisfying about making those nice little lines on the carpet. Same goes for hand-washing dishes...

Dunno - I get a certain pleasure of vacuuming 3 or 4 days a week. Put headphones on and take it nice and slow. Something satisfying about making those nice little lines on the carpet. Same goes for hand-washing dishes...

Supposed to follow sarcasm with @

I thought you were serious for a moment.

jeffpg

WKR
I have used them for several years and have 3 of them currently in use. I use them in my home, my Toyhauler RV, at the hunting lodge... just about everywhere.
Your floors can look clean, but if you turn it loose and check it later it will show you how much dirt & dust it picked up.
I won't be without one if I can help it.

kda082

WKR
Wife loves ours, kids hate it and turn it off. It loves headphone. Wife just bought a lithium battery Dyson and prances all around the house with that goofy thing. We live on dirt roads, have pets, and wood floors. Roomba is nice.

Josh_

FNG
I have a Eufy brand robovac. Works well cleaning up pet hair and dust. My house is all hard surface, have no experience with it on carpet.
The comment about having house broke pets is right on. That happened to me. Dog sh** all over the floor and vacuum. It was terrible to clean up.

Definitely worth the money.