Road Trip Help

Fowl Play

WKR
Hey Fellas,

I'm about 95% confident I'm making a big move next May ('24) -- leaving my job for what will start as a year off with the family. We'll go from there. Kids are homeschooled and young (girls, 5-7) and no time like the present to go make some more memories. Planning a 6 month road-trip to start out June-November. Big ticket items are: likely several weeks wherever I pull an elk tag, Smoky Mountains, Banff, Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, RMNP.

I am honestly unfamiliar with points of interest along this section of the country on the drive out (see picture below roughly Nashville, TN to Montana) -- I've flown over it, never stopped before. I'll be towing a large fifth wheel so have to break up this section anyways. Anything you guys would hit along this section? Anything you would spend a considerable amount of time at? Or would you just blow through to Montana or maybe stop in the Black hills? I'll be bringing a 40ft toy hauler with a trail width sxs in the back if any good trails to hit as well.

road_trip_24.png

Swamp Fox

WKR
I have a buddy from another forum who has been trying to find Custer's hat at the Little Big Horn for a long time. But he's been using a metal detector. Maybe you could help him out ... LOL

Deadwood in SD and the badlands of NW Nebraska would be areas I'd hit (again). Lots of good stufff there.

Big Brutus in SE Kansas is pretty neat- it’s a big coal shovel, my kids liked it.

The steamship Arabia museum in Kansas City was also pretty amazing.

If you adjust your route you could hit the original cabelas and then into the black hills from the south.

SloppyJ

WKR
Some very cool trails to ride ans hike in the Ozarks in NW AR. Just a little bit out of the way. Included is the Buffalo River which was the first national river.

Could also do more civilized stuff around Bentonville. There's a world class art museum as well as a STEM themed "museum" for kids called the Amazeum next door to it. Also dubbed the mountain bike capital of the world if you're into that.

Big_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
Google maps runs you on US-212 in Montana on your way to Billings. There is some planned road construction on 212 around Lame Deer for next year. You should look at the I-90 route too. Just another option and really not that much more time to take the I-90 route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandstrom

WKR
Definitely the bad lands and that area! We stayed at a KOA campground next to Mount Rushmore that was awesome, they rented side by sides that you could drive around to tour needles Highway, Mount Rushmore, and Custer state park. We ended up being there during sturgis bike week, the kiddos loved seeing all the bikes!!
Ryan

jmez

WKR
Google maps runs you on US-212 in Montana on your way to Billings. There is some planned road construction on 212 around Lame Deer for next year. You should look at the I-90 route too. Just another option and really not that much more time to take the I-90 route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't take 212. That route sucks without construction. The interstate will take you a long Bighorn Mins. 212 will take you through the Crow reservation. Bighorns are worth seeing. Bob King Museum in Sheridan is worth a look at well.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
Spearfish Canyon in the Black Hills is a beautiful drive. There is an outfit at the junction of that and Little Spearfish Canyon that has lodging, restaurant, sxs rentals, etc but not sure on RV campground as we did it by tent in the USFS land campground that is first come, first serve and that's not good to be left to chance on a planned route such as yours. However there seems to be a large system of sxs and atv ridable roads and trails throughout the Black Hills as we saw many of the rental places.

Lots of small stream trout fishing on public land through there as well and close to roads with easy access.

Tod osier

WKR
Hey Fellas,

I'm about 95% confident I'm making a big move next May ('24) -- leaving my job for what will start as a year off with the family. We'll go from there. Kids are homeschooled and young (girls, 5-7) and no time like the present to go make some more memories. Planning a 6 month road-trip to start out June-November. Big ticket items are: likely several weeks wherever I pull an elk tag, Smoky Mountains, Banff, Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, RMNP.

I am honestly unfamiliar with points of interest along this section of the country on the drive out (see picture below roughly Nashville, TN to Montana) -- I've flown over it, never stopped before. I'll be towing a large fifth wheel so have to break up this section anyways. Anything you guys would hit along this section? Anything you would spend a considerable amount of time at? Or would you just blow through to Montana or maybe stop in the Black hills? I'll be bringing a 40ft toy hauler with a trail width sxs in the back if any good trails to hit as well.

View attachment 612898

I would drive through until Montana, from the windshield you will see the country in the midwest. We have driven through there many, many times and I don't think there is anything I'd stop for compared to spending one more night dispersed camping along a river somewhere in montana.

I'd wouldn't even consider badlands national park, just go to the badlands in eastern montana (look at Glendive, MT) where the kids can just walk around on badlands that imo are cooler and there is dino stuff for the kids (Stay at Makoshika State park, there is an ORV area there too that I have not been too, also dinos to dig in the area).

Last edited:

bozeman

WKR
St Louis- City Museum with the kiddos....mine still talk about that trip. While there, go up in the Arch and then to Crown Candy for the best milk shakes in America.

Drive thru the Badlands National Park and see Mt Rushmore

Marshfly

WKR
Change that route to go through NW Arkansas(Those Bentonville museums and the biking mentioned above are world class), Southern Colorado, Utah, and Western Wyoming. Million Dollar Highway, Grand Staircase Escalante NM, Moab/Arches, Tetons/Yellowstone.

Why on earth would you scrounge for roadside attractions in middle America when the above stuff exists with a small detour?