Ripstop Nylon for a shelter floor

shooter56

FNG
I have a Kifaru Sawtooth shelter and often use it floorless. However, I would like to have a backup floor for wet conditions. Has anyone ever worked with 1.9 oz ripstop nylon for a shelter floor? Since I have only found 60" wide material, I would need to either sew or glue two widths together to get it wide enough. Anyone done this or have any other recommendations for a floor? Thanks.

I'm currently using a 40d, (1.9oz is typically a 70d) 1.6 oz HyperD PU4000 fabric from Ripstop By the Roll for the floors in the double wall/floored/bugproof TipiTents I make. Quite dimensionally stable. This fabric is a pretty good combo of fairly lightweight but reasonably durable, highly waterproof material that's appropriate for floors. Check it out at: https://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/1-6-oz-hyperd-pu4000

I've run a Tarptent Rainbow for years on 'lightweight' backpack early season hunts with the 1.1oz silnylon floor that's served me well, but I'm much more 'careful' with it. The Hyper-D above is much more watertight and durable. No lightweight fabric like this will last if improperly used/abused, however. Have to pick and prepare tent sites carefully.

I'm currently making a section of floor for my tipi with some of that 1.6oz sil poly from RSBTR. Best stuff I've found. Tyvek lets moisture through. Its got something like a 4000pu coating- good stuff with a couple stripes of silicone non slip

Back