Ring height question

Setting up a 22 Creed on a 700 with standard stock ( no cheek riser). Will use a 40 or 42mm scope. I have some quality high rings.
Generally would try and get scope as close to bore as possible. Is that necessary or even beneficial?
How do you rifle guys set your scope height. Advantages or dis of using the high rings? Say shooting prone? Ballistics impact?
I am an occasional rifle hunter so Seeking knowledge. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nobody

WKR
Low. Low low low low low. Low rings are your friend. My tikka in a factory stock runs an SWFA with a 42mm objective in Nightforce ultralight low .85 rings, and I wish I could even get it a little lower. Highs will be too high, you won’t get a proper cheek weld and it’ll affect your ability to shoot at distance because you’ll run out of adjustment.

Sell the highs and buy some lows, it’s the only way.

Depends on your shooting style and comfort. Mount the scope as high as you need to in order to be comfortable behind it. Higher rings mean you have to roll your head a little less when getting behind it but don't mount so high you can't get a good cheek or jaw weld on the stock.

Obviously higher profile rings make the footprint of your rifle a little larger but I think that's it. People will say it exaggerates the effects of canting the rifle but from what I've looked into that's not true.

I get rings that will get the scope as low to the bore as possible. If a cheek riser is needed after the scope is installed, I use a Bradley cheek riser.

You can stack Pennies on the scope base to determine the appropriate ring height for your scope. Don’t assume lows will always work. Measure twice and cut once.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
To me a cheek riser is still needed on factory stocks (and most aftermarket) even with lowest possible rings

So since I add cheek risers to everything for that reason, I opt for taller rings which I find more natural for my head position while prone or shouldering rifle

Last edited: