rimfire accuracy problem

richl025

FNG
My first .22 rimfire rifle - I am using a CMMG barrel in an AR-15 style upper. I have the actual CMMG .22 barrel - not the subcaliber insert that you can use with your .223 barrel.

I am getting rather crap accuracy with multiple different brand-name cartridges. The best I can do (bench rest, scope) is about 2.5 inches at 50 yds for 5-shot groups.

Is this the best I can expect? Is this (short of an expensive competition rifle) what the .22 is capable of? Has anyone else here used a CMMG .22 barrel & gotten better results? I'm just a touch frustrated.

I was planning to use this for multi-gun matches (many where I live can only use non-rifle calibers) and for teaching my girls how to shoot - if I need to just buy a Ruger 10/22 or something, fine, I'll do that, but I was hoping for a little better accuracy....

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

waspocrew

WKR
I have one of their barrels, but haven’t had the chance to install yet. Sorry to hear about the frustration- which barrel length did you go with?

i haven't stuck a scope on my S&W M&P-22 AR style rifle but I don't think it's much better than that.

which is why i have a tikka T1x which is far more accurate.

i had a target 10/22 with bull barrel that was no more accurate than my "appleseed" marlin 795 that cost 1/4 the price.

sometimes you get lucky with a $150 rimfire. but usually you pay $400-500 for a decent bolt gun plus a scope if you actually expect solid precision. and i usually shoot eley subsonics or aguila target which would be a step up from your general box store ammo selection. when i take friends out, the CCI standard comes out and the target gets bigger.

Lawnboi

WKR
Good ammo, ie Eley, lapua, SK in a good barrel should shoot moa or less at 50 yards.

Here’s Eley target at 7$ a box out of my T1x. That’s a 10 round group.

A good 22 barrel paired with ammo it likes can be very accurate.

IMG_0762.jpeg

OP
R

richl025

FNG
Good ammo, ie Eley, lapua, SK in a good barrel should shoot moa or less at 50 yards.

Here’s Eley target at 7$ a box out of my T1x. That’s a 10 round group.

A good 22 barrel paired with ammo it likes can be very accurate.

View attachment 753625
Thanks! I already own a T3 - so maybe I should bit the bullet and look at a T1

Thanks for the advice!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
i haven't stuck a scope on my S&W M&P-22 AR style rifle but I don't think it's much better than that.

which is why i have a tikka T1x which is far more accurate.

i had a target 10/22 with bull barrel that was no more accurate than my "appleseed" marlin 795 that cost 1/4 the price.

sometimes you get lucky with a $150 rimfire. but usually you pay $400-500 for a decent bolt gun plus a scope if you actually expect solid precision. and i usually shoot eley subsonics or aguila target which would be a step up from your general box store ammo selection. when i take friends out, the CCI standard comes out and the target gets bigger.
I went down that road, looking for a fairly accurate 22. I had the t1x for a few years but it rusted like there was no tomorrow and the magazines are sort of lame. It was a decent gun though all that said. I ended up buying a tacos and a volquartzen, both of them are sort of 10/22 clones but will actually shoot better than I can AND cycle subsonic ammo reliably. they are awesome guns.

TaperPin

WKR
My first .22 rimfire rifle - I am using a CMMG barrel in an AR-15 style upper. I have the actual CMMG .22 barrel - not the subcaliber insert that you can use with your .223 barrel.

I am getting rather crap accuracy with multiple different brand-name cartridges. The best I can do (bench rest, scope) is about 2.5 inches at 50 yds for 5-shot groups.

Is this the best I can expect? Is this (short of an expensive competition rifle) what the .22 is capable of? Has anyone else here used a CMMG .22 barrel & gotten better results? I'm just a touch frustrated.

I was planning to use this for multi-gun matches (many where I live can only use non-rifle calibers) and for teaching my girls how to shoot - if I need to just buy a Ruger 10/22 or something, fine, I'll do that, but I was hoping for a little better accuracy....

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
I was going to build a dedicated .22 using that exact barrel, but couldn’t find a single person online that had good accuracy and hit the pause button. Maybe some shoot great, I’ve just never seen or heard of one.

BLJ

WKR
No experience with your current setup but I’ve had great success with the CZ 457 16” Pro Varmint.