Rifle suggestions

Peytb10

FNG
Wanting to purchase my first western hunting rifle as I moved from the east coast to Arizona. Wanting to purchase 7 prc (spent several hours debating 300prc vs 7prc so don’t need suggestions for different loads).
I am wanting to spend less than $1200-1300 on rifle and ~$700-1000 on optics (this can be used).

And before I get the Tikka suggestions, no I don’t want to rebarrel for another $700-1,000.

Debating between:
1. Christiansen Arms Mesa FFT 7 PRC
2. Bergara Wilderness or Wilderness Ridge Carbon (don’t love the stock)
3. Browning X-Bolt Speed (only 24” barrel I believe which I don’t love and the stock design is pretty bad in my opinion)
4. Open to used gun options that could be in the price point.

I’m no gun expert like some on here so I’d love some opinions

OP
Peytb10

Peytb10

FNG
Spend a little more on a Seekins PH2

Trying to stay under my $2000-2200 budget. That would allow about $300-400 for a scope it seems. Not really doable right now but definitely a gun I want in the future.

Browning of those 3. What don’t you like about the stock, too flexible? Ergos beats the heck out of the CA.

OP
Peytb10

Peytb10

FNG
Browning of those 3. What don’t you like about the stock, too flexible? Ergos beats the heck out of the CA.
I haven’t held one but it’s minimal as I could have it cerakoted but the camo looks horrid personally. I feel like it makes it look so cheap with their design.

What’s wrong the the CA in your opinion ergonomically?
The grip is worthless for actually shooting unless you have giant hands. Like I’m not sure my hand would even be on it while pressing a trigger.

Interesting. I didn’t see that on the XBolt Speed. I do like that camo. I’m referring to the green/gray camo. Almost looks like a Walmart version Sitka.

Yeah, browning is absurd with all the dumb editions of virtually the same thing and some of their patterns are dumb AF, like with the buckmark camo, but that standard HC speed camo was pretty decent IMO. Krylon can fix whatever though.

nobody

WKR
The only one on that list that’s a viable option in my opinion is the Browning. Ergos are vastly superior to both the Christensen and Bergara in actual use and feel, looks be darned. Pair that with the horror stories with Christensen and Bergara, and my own issues I had with a Christensen I got and never even shot before getting rid of it, and I’ll NEVER own either one.

My X Bolt western hunter was the single most accurate rifle I’ve ever owned, and I got rid of it to go to a Tikka that only shoots marginally less well. I’ll own another browning one day, but don’t regret trading it in on a Tikka. All that to say, I recommend browning from your list, but a Tikka waaaaaay before any of them, even if it means getting a different cartridge (a whole different topic in and of itself). A Tikka Stainless Lite in an 8 twist 243 or a 6.5 creed or even a 270 can be had for $800-ish with sales and rebates with some patience. Then put a Maven RS1.2 or a Trijicon Tenmile on top with some Unknown Munitions rings. You’ll never be able to own a more functional rifle, with less shortcomings, and it has great aftermarket support with a base action worth keeping and building on over and over for many years to come.

eric1115

WKR
Wanting to purchase my first western hunting rifle as I moved from the east coast to Arizona. Wanting to purchase 7 prc (spent several hours debating 300prc vs 7prc so don’t need suggestions for different loads).
I am wanting to spend less than $1200-1300 on rifle and ~$700-1000 on optics (this can be used).

And before I get the Tikka suggestions, no I don’t want to rebarrel for another $700-1,000.

Debating between:
1. Christiansen Arms Mesa FFT 7 PRC
2. Bergara Wilderness or Wilderness Ridge Carbon (don’t love the stock)
3. Browning X-Bolt Speed (only 24” barrel I believe which I don’t love and the stock design is pretty bad in my opinion)
4. Open to used gun options that could be in the price point.

I’m no gun expert like some on here so I’d love some opinions

I'd strongly encourage you to take a step or two back and re-think a couple of things...

What is the reason for 7PRC? What do you want to do with it that cannot be done with something like a 6.5CM or 6CM?

What rifles do you currently have? In order to take advantage of its capabilities over a 6CM you're going to need to shoot many hundreds (preferably thousands) of rounds per year. This won't happen with a 7PRC as a main/only rifle due to expense and recoil.

I would strongly encourage you to spend some time reading the scope eval section of the long range subforum here. Unless you're planning on finding a used 6x SWFA there's not a single $300-400 dialing scope I'd use for western hunting. Edit: I misread this/another post lower down... 700-1000 can buy a functional scope (but there are lots of options in this price range to stay away from). Good!

As someone who's done this for a while now, and has owned some larger rifles (including a Bergara 7mmRM that ran Berger 180s very accurately at 2850 FPS, very similar to the PRC), here is where I'm at now for my main long range rifle:
Tikka .243AI, rokstok on the way.
Bushnell LRHS 3-12, Maven RS1.2 likely replacing it at some point.
AB Raptor 6 suppressor

This gets me past 1000 yards with enough velocity for that bullet to upset and perform terminally, with recoil levels that allow me to spot nearly 100% of my own impacts even in less than ideal shooting positions. I'd need to be planning on regularly shooting animals at more than 800 yards to feel like the 7PRC was a more effective cartridge for me at this point, and I'm nowhere near that (see CBC threads)

Please don't take this as me peeing in your Cheerios, take it as me having gone down a similar road at one point and sharing what I learned so you can have a less expensive route to get to where you'll probably want to end up.

Trying to stay under my $2000-2200 budget. That would allow about $300-400 for a scope it seems. Not really doable right now but definitely a gun I want in the future.
Sell a kidney, do what you have to. You won't be disappointed. FInd some junk in the garage to sell on marketplace, something. :) I did see one in our gun shop used the other day for around $1500 with Seekins rings. Soooo tempting, but it was in 6.5cm. Actually that wouldn't have deterred me but I think the wife would shoot me if I brought another rifle home.... Good luck in your search. Also dont discount the classifieds for good deals on rifles and optics.

FWIW, mine is a 300wm. drives tacks(if I do my job) and recoil without a brake is not abhorrent. Not a rifle to shoot all day for sure, but I can get through 20 rounds per session with no ill effects.

OP
Peytb10

Peytb10

FNG
Sell a kidney, do what you have to. You won't be disappointed. FInd some junk in the garage to sell on marketplace, something. :) I did see one in our gun shop used the other day for around $1500 with Seekins rings. Soooo tempting, but it was in 6.5cm. Actually that wouldn't have deterred me but I think the wife would shoot me if I brought another rifle home.... Good luck in your search. Also dont discount the classifieds for good deals on rifles and optics.
Not a bad idea haha. I’m about to that point!

On a real note, yes I’ve been checking this classifieds page,Utah guns classifieds, and tacswap. I’m willing and open to any other gun options. I could purchase a Browning Pro McMillan used one season for $1500, but it’s 300 prc.

Not a bad idea haha. I’m about to that point!

On a real note, yes I’ve been checking this classifieds page,Utah guns classifieds, and tacswap. I’m willing and open to any other gun options. I could purchase a Browning Pro McMillan used one season for $1500, but it’s 300 prc.
I went 300wm over 300prc as I got mine during the pandemic and 300wm was more available. I reload and just wanted cases and couldn't find any and loaded 300prc was a non entity in our area. Good luck with whatever you pick up. Just be patient and don't jump at the first deal (and save your change in the interim) Plus Seekins just makes a damn good looking and functional rifle. Custom gum(almost) at semicustom prices.... I mean how can you not like this thing???? :)

Attachments

• ph2-rth.jpg
    ph2-rth.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 13
OP
Peytb10

Peytb10

FNG
I went 300wm over 300prc as I got mine during the pandemic and 300wm was more available. I reload and just wanted cases and couldn't fine any and loaded 300prc was a non entity in our area. Good luck with whatever you pick up. Just be patient and don't jump at the first deal (and save your change in the interim) Plus Seekins just makes a damn good looking and functional rifle. Custom gum(almost) at semicustom prices.... I mean how can you not like this thing???? :)
Haha that’s the dream setup!

I would like to replace the scope at some point. It's an old Vortex Razor LH. Super light and have had no issues with it at all, and it fit the budget at the time.

Jlowry809

FNG
I'd strongly encourage you to take a step or two back and re-think a couple of things...

What is the reason for 7PRC? What do you want to do with it that cannot be done with something like a 6.5CM or 6CM?

What rifles do you currently have? In order to take advantage of its capabilities over a 6CM you're going to need to shoot many hundreds (preferably thousands) of rounds per year. This won't happen with a 7PRC as a main/only rifle due to expense and recoil.

I would strongly encourage you to spend some time reading the scope eval section of the long range subforum here. Unless you're planning on finding a used 6x SWFA there's not a single $300-400 dialing scope I'd use for western hunting. Edit: I misread this/another post lower down... 700-1000 can buy a functional scope (but there are lots of options in this price range to stay away from). Good!

As someone who's done this for a while now, and has owned some larger rifles (including a Bergara 7mmRM that ran Berger 180s very accurately at 2850 FPS, very similar to the PRC), here is where I'm at now for my main long range rifle:
Tikka .243AI, rokstok on the way.
Bushnell LRHS 3-12, Maven RS1.2 likely replacing it at some point.
AB Raptor 6 suppressor

This gets me past 1000 yards with enough velocity for that bullet to upset and perform terminally, with recoil levels that allow me to spot nearly 100% of my own impacts even in less than ideal shooting positions. I'd need to be planning on regularly shooting animals at more than 800 yards to feel like the 7PRC was a more effective cartridge for me at this point, and I'm nowhere near that (see CBC threads)

Please don't take this as me peeing in your Cheerios, take it as me having gone down a similar road at one point and sharing what I learned so you can have a less expensive route to get to where you'll probably want to end up.
I’d second this whole response. I’m even considering selling my 7PRC since I have gotten my tikka 6.5prc dialed in. I shoot it better with only 100 ft lbs of energy different at 1000 yards

But for OP, I have a Bergara Wilderness 7PRC with the Carbon barrel. Shoots good, I am just more consistent with my 6.5prc