Rifle Stock ShellHolder

OP
G
It's not that I'm overly concerned about needing a ton of shells to kill something or defend myself, but in my experience it's a great place to store my extra ammo for my gun. I like to keep them together for obvious reasons. I'm not carrying 40 rounds in the backcountry, but I want the shells attached to my gun.

I appreciate everyone's opinions and stories, and I find it interesting to read them, but I am really looking for someone who has experience with the above pig stock pack.

Thank you

OP
G
The hpg one looks great, I just wish they made one that covered the shells.

And that's not a bad idea on the AGC Bino pack....

I've been using a cheap Allen shellholder.

For the drop chart, Instead of taping it to the stock, I just laminated it, and slide it under the shell holder.

PA280036_zpspu0cijnh.jpg

Shane

Carlin59

WKR
I stopped using shell holders year ago. I mean how many shots do you really need? If I lived in Grizz country I'd prolly just buy a Win Mod 70. The Model 70's carry 6, and then maybe carry a single in each front pocket.. JMO

Need? Hopefully just one, and 95% of the time that is the case. However, for those that decide to carry more ammunition than can be held in the magazine (as is the case with OP), a rifle-mounted shell carrier of some form is a viable option. For the OP, rifle-mounted ammo carriers come in either covered or uncovered forms. There are pros and cons to each. The PIG mentioned looks interesting. The Allen is cheap, lightweight, and won't slide forward due to the sling-stud hole. The camo is outdated on the Allen, but can be fixed with a sharpie or spray paint. Several good options for the OP, depending on how he values weight vs. features vs. price. To the OP, I considered the PIG as well but decided against it due to the cost and went with the Allen as a $10 investment to see if I liked a rifle mounted shell holder. I have decide that if I'm going to carry extra ammo it may as well be on the rifle, and the PIG looks like a nice option. I like the Allen a lot, but if you can swing the PIG a zippered option that may carry a few extra necessities looks like a good option. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

Last edited:

hooker

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using a cheap Allen shellholder.

For the drop chart, Instead of taping it to the stock, I just laminated it, and slide it under the shell holder.

PA280036_zpspu0cijnh.jpg

Shane

I've used the underside of my baseball cap for a drop chart. Lost to many bullets in the last 5 years to justify thinking I needed more on the stock... Recently saw where "big stick" had a drop chart pasted to the bottom of his flip up butler creek. Flip ups a must here in "wet wa"..

You live and hunt in some beautiful country Shane..

I use a cheap Allen just like the one pyroduck linked above but less than 1/4 the cost. Very adjustable too. I'll try and get a picture today.

I'm a fan of the stock packs too. I have them on my heavier rigs. I did try one on the rifle above, but it didn't work out so well for me, because this stock has a cheekpiece (It's a McMillan BDL pattern). The thickness of the stock pack over the cheekpiece put my face just a little too far away from centerline for my liking.

As for the Allen shellholders, they are kind of an eyesore, but have worked ok for me, haven't lost any ammo yet. Most of the country I hunt is not super thick jungle anyway, so maybe that's part of it.

I've put the drop data under the flip-cap too. That's not bad. Lately it seems I've been breaking the Butler Creek flip-caps at the cyclic rate. I don't know if the plastic is cheaper or what, but the caps seem to be breaking off at the hinge, with very little abuse, while carrying with the caps open. Especially in sub-freezing weather. I've actually gone to the bikini style scope covers on a couple rigs. Don't really like them that much, but so far they have held together. I tent to just remove them while actually hunting, unless it's actually raining or snowing.

Just a couple more gratuitous pics of rifle and scenery.

Flip caps tossed after rear one broke off,

DSCF0045_zps3c23c12a.jpg

PA280041_zpsfxhprn5m.jpg

PB120005_zpsvnoz9d5w.jpg

Shane

jrnorton4

FNG
http://www.opticsplanet.com/fox-outdoor-butt-stock-cheek-rest-rifle.html

I looked at the Pig pack, but couldn't drop the coin for one at the time, and bought this one. Aside from not having a suede cheek pad (leather-like vinyl) like the pig pack, I love this thing. I keep 6 extra 300 wsm shells and my dope chart in the pouch, and they never see the elements. It made shooting a lot more comfortable aligning me with my scope too. I have come to think I like the vinyl better too, for ease of cleanup when it gets mud or dirt on it. One tip - wrap electrical tape around the zipper pull to stop jingling, or just cut it off and tie a new pull on.

tdot

WKR
Received my first Triad tactical stock pack about a month ago. I was so happy with them that they are now on 3 of my rifles.

I prefer the zippered pouch with the removable internal shell holder.

hooker

Lil-Rokslider
Shane, Bulter Creek Caps are cheesy. But I still like them .. lol Big Stick gave me sh it as I kept breaking them. He said quote "what the hell do you think is gonna happen when you drive a car through the woods with the doors open". lol Most of mine opened then broke somehow.

Last edited:
OP
G
http://www.opticsplanet.com/fox-outdoor-butt-stock-cheek-rest-rifle.html

I looked at the Pig pack, but couldn't drop the coin for one at the time, and bought this one. Aside from not having a suede cheek pad (leather-like vinyl) like the pig pack, I love this thing. I keep 6 extra 300 wsm shells and my dope chart in the pouch, and they never see the elements. It made shooting a lot more comfortable aligning me with my scope too. I have come to think I like the vinyl better too, for ease of cleanup when it gets mud or dirt on it. One tip - wrap electrical tape around the zipper pull to stop jingling, or just cut it off and tie a new pull on.

Can you remove the velcro shell holder from the outside and put it on the interior of the zip pocket?