Rifle Setup: Christensen Ridgeline vs. Seekins PH2

SDHNTR

WKR
Update: I decided on the Seekins PH2, topped with the Leupold VX5 Firedot, and Seekins Low Rings.

Will give a more thorough review and share more thoughts once I get everything put together and sighted in.
Fine choice in rifle, I’d rethink the scope. I didn’t read all the posts but I did read where you were discerning optics by looking through them. Imo, that’s a mistake. I did the same thing a few years ago and wound up with a bunch of Swarovski scopes. They were amazing to look through, but we’re mechanically garbage. Glass quality should be way down the list of important qualities. Glass won’t make a difference in your hunt. Holding zero will! All scopes of this price range will have good, more than adequate, glass. Buy a scope that is known to work properly and accept the small weight penalty. It’s well worth it for reliability’s sake.

idahodave

WKR
Fine choice in rifle, I’d rethink the scope. I didn’t read all the posts but I did read where you were discerning optics by looking through them. Imo, that’s a mistake. I did the same thing a few years ago and wound up with a bunch of Swarovski scopes. They were amazing to look through, but we’re mechanically garbage. Glass quality should be way down the list of important qualities. Glass won’t make a difference in your hunt. Holding zero will! All scopes of this price range will have good, more than adequate, glass. Buy a scope that is known to work properly and accept the small weight penalty. It’s well worth it for reliability’s sake.
Agreed.

Gonna be VERY difficult to beat a SS 3-9 for a purely hunting scope. Tracks like it's supposed to, and optics are plenty good. If money permits, I'd look even more closely at the Nightforce 2.5-10x42.

You'd have to run pretty fast to be able to give me a Leupold of ANY variety these days. Just got my LAST one back from being "fixed"....again. I'll be giving it to my dad to put on a .22. Don't trust them for anything more serious after having to send every one I've ever owned back in for repair at some point. Just seems like a shame to put such an unreliable scope on such a badazz rifle.

OP
MontanaMuley
Agreed.

Gonna be VERY difficult to beat a SS 3-9 for a purely hunting scope. Tracks like it's supposed to, and optics are plenty good. If money permits, I'd look even more closely at the Nightforce 2.5-10x42.

You'd have to run pretty fast to be able to give me a Leupold of ANY variety these days. Just got my LAST one back from being "fixed"....again. I'll be giving it to my dad to put on a .22. Don't trust them for anything more serious after having to send every one I've ever owned back in for repair at some point. Just seems like a shame to put such an unreliable scope on such a badazz rifle.
Appreciate the feedback. It's certainly the contrarian scope choice, based on what others have shared.

I've personally been pleased with Leupold after using their scopes the past ~20 years. Time will tell if the VX-5 tracks and holds zero. I'm ok with being wrong, but haven't personally experienced issues and really enjoy the clarity and simplicity of the scope.

Again, will share more updates after I put it together, shoot, and have a season with it under my belt.

idahodave

WKR
Montana,

I hope your experience is good. Frankly, I'd love to be wrong about Leupold scopes, as they offer everything EXCEPT reliability in a scope that I want.

Keep us posted on what you think of the set-up. I expect you're going to LOVE that rifle bud.

dave

Clark33

WKR
I have a PH1, and have seen 3 other PH2’s (7 rem mag, 300 win, & 300 PRC). All 4 shoot great, Seekins carbon mags are also long allowing you to shoot whatever bullet you want if you reload. They will rebarrel your rifle for $550 if/when you shoot the barrel out or want to switch calibers.
Seekins customer service is top notch if you ever need something or have questions.
Also, you can get prefit barrels for the Seekins action.

I have seen some CA QC issues, one with a real short throat, factory ammo was jamming into the lands, and the other was just extremely finicky making the reloading process a pain.

Here’s a PH2 with a Bartlein CF prefit done by Straight Jacket Armory, 300PRC
E8060411-F552-475B-A738-B48389BEC7EB.jpeg

Nick992

Lil-Rokslider
I have no experience with seekins, but I'm happy with my Christensen.

I also switched from vortex to Leupold, which wasn't on your list, but I'm really happy with my vx5 3-15.

Loebs

Lil-Rokslider
While highly personal, the PH2 fit me so better than the Christiansen. I have only put about 60 rounds down mine so far (308). But I really like it. The action has gotten very slick and it feeds anything I feed it without issue. So far it's moa or better. Going to begin load development shortly. I have it topped with a VX-5HD, weighs 8lbs 6 ounces all up. Seekins rings as well. I couldn't be happier with it.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

OP
MontanaMuley
While highly personal, the PH2 fit me so better than the Christiansen. I have only put about 60 rounds down mine so far (308). But I really like it. The action has gotten very slick and it feeds anything I feed it without issue. So far it's moa or better. Going to begin load development shortly. I have it topped with a VX-5HD, weighs 8lbs 6 ounces all up. Seekins rings as well. I couldn't be happier with it.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Glad to hear it's a shooter! That's the same setup I went with, but in 6.5 PRC. I'm still waiting on the Seekins rings to arrive, but when they do I plan to get it setup and head to the range.

Kkwebb

FNG
I have several Christensen rifles that are fine other than some less than smooth bolting/feeding. Shoot good.

I’m commenting because this is a great discussion thread and for all the redneck experience I have, I’d somehow never heard of Seekins until today!

weisenbu

Lil-Rokslider
I've been looking hard at the PH2 as well and it is currently at the top of my list for my next rifle. You get a lot of gun for the money and the CS has an outstanding reputation. I've never shot one but have handled them several times at the local store. One thing I always note is that the bolt seems to stick or bind a bit when closing the bolt. Have others noticed that too? Does that get better with use? I'm assuming it does because I never hear others say anything about it. Thanks in advance for sharing any experience with the issue.

OP
MontanaMuley
I've been looking hard at the PH2 as well and it is currently at the top of my list for my next rifle. You get a lot of gun for the money and the CS has an outstanding reputation. I've never shot one but have handled them several times at the local store. One thing I always note is that the bolt seems to stick or bind a bit when closing the bolt. Have others noticed that too? Does that get better with use? I'm assuming it does because I never hear others say anything about it. Thanks in advance for sharing any experience with the issue.
It gets better with time. I've yet to make it to the range, but after taking it home, cleaning, and working the bolt, it has smoothed out. Like a fine wine, I imagine it gets better with age.

BigAl!

WKR
In my experience, yes. The bolt became smoother after a decent amount of use. In my opinion, a non-issue. Like many others, I too think it's a lot of gun for the money.

If I were buying today I'd have a TIKKA Veil or Roughtech Ember in 6.5 PRC, Leupold VX6HD 3-18.. I have this setup in 6.5PRC and 300WM and this combination shoots extremely well. We all have our opinions/experiences and I'm sure there are many, many other combinations that do well, but whatever you choose I'd suggest spending at least as much for the optic as the rifle (In my case - more).. Good luck with choice... This combination allows for a lot of future options if you change your mind and want to go another route later..

OP
MontanaMuley
A little follow up report:

I setup the rifle and have been to the range a handful of times. I've run Hornady ELD-M, ELD-X, Nosler Accubonds, and Berger 156 (all factory.) I was able to get MOA with all rounds, but the best groups were with the Bergers and Accubonds and were approximately .5"

I shot most of the range sessions without a break, but noticed the groups weren't as good when I added the break. This seems counterintuative, but I will do more testing to learn more. I also didn't think the break was that much of a benefit in the 6.5PRC caliber. There was a reduction in recoil, but IMO the significance didn't warrant the extra noise and length added to the muzzle.

Some things I like about the setup:

• The build quality is excellent - fit, finish, and function all superb
  • Accuracy is sub-MOA with factory ammo
There are a few things that I need to get used to/don't like:

• It's heavier than I would like. I bought this to replace my Rem 700 mountain rifle and comparatively, this thing feels like a tank. As you can see from the picture, it's 8lbs 13oz with the Seekins break and 3 rounds. My old setup was more like 7.5lbs, with a shorter barrel and FELT significantly lighter in the hand, even though it was only little more than a pound less
  • The recoil is snappy. It's certainly less than my 30-06, but unlike the 30 cal, this has more of a "snap" to the recoil and less of a push. I can shoot without my shoulder getting sore, but the recoil is sudden. This is something I will either need to get use to or move down to a 6.5 Creedmoor for my designated deer/antelope gun.

I need to give it more time and practice, but I am considering switching to a 6.5 Creedmoor in a lighter weight gun. I would like to get the setup closer to 7.5 lbs.

Any ideas on weight reduction and dealing with recoil would be appreciated. Hope this post has been helpful.

Attachments

• Rifle Pic.jpg
    Rifle Pic.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Range Pic.jpg
    Range Pic.jpg
    451.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Rifle Weight.jpg
    Rifle Weight.jpg
    432.4 KB · Views: 50
OP
MontanaMuley
Final follow up with a twist...

After a half dozen range sessions and contemplation, I decided to sell the PH2.

Like I mentioned above, it's a great rifle. Accurate, ergonomic, repeatable performance. A stellar company to boot.

It boiled down to my preference and real-world use case.

The bottom line is I'm a hunter and put on many miles each fall. I prefer a lightweight setup, that is still reliable and accurate. The VAST majority of my shots are going to be 300 yards and in, so I really don't need a "long range" setup.

The rifle that I bought in it's place...

Christensen Arms Mesa FFT in 6.5 Creedmoor. A few notes:

I'm 1/2 though the break-in process and am extremely impressed. Namely:

-Lightweight. The whole setup (gun, VX5, Talley) is less than 7lbs
-Compact. I removed the break and added a thread protector. It's < 40" total length
-Accurate. I shot touching 5-shot groups with Barnes TTSX and LRX
-Configuration. Moving over from a R700 Mountain Rifle, I appreciate the identical platform.

I dropped down to 6.5 Creedmoor for caliber. This is my dedicated deer/antelope gun. It will be all I need for the ranges that I shoot and it will allow me to practice more, as the recoil is light and the factory ammo is available and reasonable in price.

That's all for now. The Seekins is a great rifle, made by a great company, but the Christensen fits my intended use case.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved

Like I mentioned above, it's a great rifle. Accurate, ergonomic, repeatable performance. A stellar company to boot.

The bottom line is I'm a hunter and put on many miles each fall. I prefer a lightweight setup, that is still reliable and accurate. The VAST majority of my shots are going to be 300 yards and in, so I really don't need a "long range" setup.

-Compact. I removed the break and added a thread protector. It's < 40" total length
-Configuration. Moving over from a R700 Mountain Rifle, I appreciate the identical platform.

I dropped down to 6.5 Creedmoor for caliber. This is my dedicated deer/antelope gun. It will be all I need for the ranges that I shoot and it will allow me to practice more, as the recoil is light and the factory ammo is available and reasonable in price.

That's all for now. The Seekins is a great rifle, made by a great company, but the Christensen fits my intended use case.
Well done. Be sure to post some pics this fall of your success with it

First post, just joined to comment as I’m in the same debacle… curious, did you consider the Seekins HAVAK Element? Costs more, but it sounds like you won’t find a lighter factory rifle.

OP
MontanaMuley
First post, just joined to comment as I’m in the same debacle… curious, did you consider the Seekins HAVAK Element? Costs more, but it sounds like you won’t find a lighter factory rifle.
Welcome! I did handle the element a few times. Nice rifle, but couldn’t justify spending over 2x over the Mesa. I also prefer the flush hinged floor plate and non spiral fluted barrel you get with the Mesa.