Rifle Setup: Christensen Ridgeline vs. Seekins PH2

I have owned both rifles, at the same time and shot them side by side. I still have the christensen and have added a few more CAs since then.

I have also owned both scopes you are considering. I can’t recommend either one. I would serious look at Trijicon Tenmile or NF - SHV, NXS or NX8.

MontanaMuley,

Ridgeline shot good after some load development, but it took a while (and money) to get there. The factory chamber was REALLY tight on the Ridgeline as well fwtw. Literally every load I tried in the Havoc printed sub-moa. I'm convinced I could have dropped a Black Cat and a ball-bearing down the barrel and got MOA groups in the Havoc. It's just stupid accurate with 180 VLDs in my 7mm Rem Mag out as far as I've shot it (700ish).

The ergonomics of the stock I believe are much better on the Havoc imho, though that is subjective I acknowledge. The stock itself is MUCH more rigid on the Havoc, but I haven't handled the new FFT stock on the Ridgeline so that might be a closer race on the newer Ridgeline models.

While the Havoc action STARTED rougher than the Ridgeline, after a bit of use I think the Seekins is much smoother. I don't still have the Ridgeline, so in it's tough to do a direct comparison in all honesty.

Magazine length goes to the Havoc in terms of seating high BC bullets waaaay out there.

Same for twist rate. In 7mm Rem anyway, the Seekins is 1:8 as opposed to the Ridgeline's 1:9. Prolly a moot point in the 6.5 PRC I suppose.

Again, I'd happily shoot either one the rest of my life. I'd just be more confident doing it with a Seekins. Their customer service (while unlikely you'd ever need it) is beyond reproach from all accounts. The same cannot be said of Christensen Arms.

Just my two cents.

Dave
I had to deal with CA recently for a ridgeline fft that had a stiff bolt after being dry fired. Customer service was amazing. Did you have a bad experience with CAs customer service?

Lando

WKR
I would recommend that you at least hold/handle the Sako S20 Hunter before you make a final decision. Out of the two you mentioned, I'd say it's a toss up. I sold 3 other 6.5 PRCs and bought a Sako S20 Hunter in PRC after checking one out at Cabelas.

On scopes, for the money you mention, I would absolutely get a Nightforce SHV or save a bit of money and get an SWFA 3-9x42. They are both better than the Zeiss, and the Vortex isn't even in the same galaxy reliability-wise.

OP
MontanaMuley
I have owned both rifles, at the same time and shot them side by side. I still have the christensen and have added a few more CAs since then.

I have also owned both scopes you are considering. I can’t recommend either one. I would serious look at Trijicon Tenmile or NF - SHV, NXS or NX8.
Thank you. Would you be able to share what led you to keeping the Christensen and selling the Seekins?

Also, what turned you off on the Vortex LHT?

SDHNTR

WKR
New here huh? Just search Christiansen and you will learn all you need to know. Same with Vortex too. Hard pass on both. I'd lump Zeiss in there too.

Way better choices for your dollar.

With that budget, and assuming I'm buying off the rack, I'm buying a Winchester M70 EW and a Nightforce SHV. And $1000+ worth of ammo.

OP
MontanaMuley
I would recommend that you at least hold/handle the Sako S20 Hunter before you make a final decision. Out of the two you mentioned, I'd say it's a toss up. I sold 3 other 6.5 PRCs and bought a Sako S20 Hunter in PRC after checking one out at Cabelas.

On scopes, for the money you mention, I would absolutely get a Nightforce SHV or save a bit of money and get an SWFA 3-9x42. They are both better than the Zeiss, and the Vortex isn't even in the same galaxy reliability-wise.
Thank you for the suggestions. I'll see if I can get my hands on the S20 at a LGS along with the SHV.

Thank you. Would you be able to share what led you to keeping the Christensen and selling the Seekins?

Also, what turned you off on the Vortex LHT?
The CA was more accurate and a little lighter. Between myself and my buddies we own a dozen Christensens. All are sub .75 moa shooters with several printing sub .5 moa or better groups consistently. I have dealt with their customer service once and it was a great experience. I have since added BA Tactical in 6.5 PRC, a 280 AI ridgeline fft, and a 308 MPP.

My LHT didn’t hold zero. Neither of them did. I had a 3-15 and 4.5-22. My 4-16 zeiss did hold zero and tracked well, but it had a weird blueish hue to the glass and I was in the process of swapping out all my other Vortex and Leupolds for Trijicons and NF, so I just kicked it down the road.

OP
MontanaMuley
New here huh? Just search Christiansen and you will learn all you need to know. Same with Vortex too. Hard pass on both. I'd lump Zeiss in there too.

Way better choices for your dollar.

With that budget, and assuming I'm buying off the rack, I'm buying a Winchester M70 EW and a Nightforce SHV. And $1000+ worth of ammo.
First time poster, glad to be here! I've heard mixed reviews on the Christensen, but liked the overall look and feel when I handled it (compared to the Seekins.) Same with the Vortex. I came here after reading and watching as much as I could on the topic to help gain more perspective. Appreciate the suggestions and will look the M70 and SHV. Thank you!

First time poster, glad to be here! I've heard mixed reviews on the Christensen, but liked the overall look and feel when I handled it (compared to the Seekins.) Same with the Vortex. I came here after reading and watching as much as I could on the topic to help gain more perspective. Appreciate the suggestions and will look the M70 and SHV. Thank you!
For what it is worth, CA got a bad rap when they were outsourcing their barrels. I read all the bad stuff. They got their act together, brought their barrel manufacturing in house and improved their QC and it has been much better. A lot of the real negative stuff was from several years ago.

Also, Most of the negative reviews are just like what you saw on here - a lot of hear say and “I read this” somewhere etc. I would really only pay attention to the reviews where people have actually owned them and had personal experience with them. Any rifle manufacturer can let a bad one slip through. The question is how do they handle it. There was a recent post on here about Fierce’s customer service which wasn’t so great. I think I mentioned my heavy bolt lift with my FFT. CA covered shipping and had it back to me in 14 days working awesome. Had it in time for my alaskan moose hunt and it was great.

Lando

WKR
I'd say you have a lot more margin for error and preference when it comes to rifles.

On scopes, only Nightforce, SWFA, and some Trijicons should be considered if you plan to dial for long-range shots and want to dial accurately.

Any negatives to the s20?

Looks like alot of rifle for $1100. I had a finnlight and other than the finish on the stock melting the fit and finish was very nice. I am tempted to grab a S20 but also saw the youtube review where there were feeding issues

SDHNTR

WKR
Any negatives to the s20?

Looks like alot of rifle for $1100. I had a finnlight and other than the finish on the stock melting the fit and finish was very nice. I am tempted to grab a S20 but also saw the youtube review where there were feeding issues
The feeding issues have been present for years. Sako won’t own up to it and for that reason alone I won’t buy one. The ejector is at 6:00. Casings get kicked up, not out. Dumb design.

The feeding issues have been present for years. Sako won’t own up to it and for that reason alone I won’t buy one. The ejector is at 6:00. Casings get kicked up, not out. Dumb design.
Specific to the S20? My A7 WSM feeds like butter everytime. S20 looks like it has a bigger magazine which would be nice but not a fan of the funky stock

S20 has a completely different ejector than the 85. It's basically a t3 action with an integral picatinny rail.

SDHNTR

WKR
S20 has a completely different ejector than the 85. It's basically a t3 action with an integral picatinny rail.
It does? I apologize if I’m wrong. I admittedly haven’t fondled one closely. But my understanding was it was the same bolt? If it wears a Tikka action, why not just buy the Tikka for less money?

Here's the best write up I've seen on the s20, it has a lot of details on the bolt and ejector.

When I was shopping for a creed last year the tipping point was 1100. That's what it would cost to set up a Tikka just the way I wanted, which was basically the way the s20 comes. at that point s20s were 1400+, but prices have changed.

SDHNTR

WKR
Here's the best write up I've seen on the s20, it has a lot of details on the bolt and ejector.

When I was shopping for a creed last year the tipping point was 1100. That's what it would cost to set up a Tikka just the way I wanted, which was basically the way the s20 comes. at that point s20s were 1400+, but prices have changed.
That article is wrong. Or at least the picture is. It shows an 85 bolt and a Tikka bolt. It also states the 75 has a plunger ejector. It does not. It has a fixed ejector.