Rifle scopes you'd love to see Form test

prm

WKR
I got a buck in my old FJ Cruiser. Bought it on a Wed night, went hunting Thur morning. First time I saw the FJ in daylight I was dragging a buck back and hoisting it into the back. Back hooves were up past the shifter.
But to the subject, I’m all for testing any scope with potential to be durable on a lightweight mountain rifle. If it dials, even better. Wonder how an old Leupold FXII 6x would hold zero? Don’t even bother with dialing, I already know that does not work. The other one I’m interested in is the Trijicon Credo 3-9. That’s a 1” scope so I don’t know if testing 30mm versions relates. Currently have one on my 84M.

mtlivin

FNG
I didn’t read through the 25 pages to see if anyone requested Huskemaw scopes. But I have 2 and would be real curious to see how they pass. I trust 1 totally, suspect a gremlin might be living in the other

fwafwow

WKR
I didn’t read through the 25 pages to see if anyone requested Huskemaw scopes. But I have 2 and would be real curious to see how they pass. I trust 1 totally, suspect a gremlin might be living in the other
You can search within a thread, and you can send one in for testing! 😎

mtlivin

FNG
You can search within a thread, and you can send one in for testing! 😎
Thanks, looks like I’m the first to request this. So if I send in the 4-16x44 (which I suspect) and that fails, then I have to question the sanity of keeping the 5-20x50 also?! Lol, better to know though 🤔

fwafwow

WKR
Thanks, looks like I’m the first to request this. So if I send in the 4-16x44 (which I suspect) and that fails, then I have to question the sanity of keeping the 5-20x50 also?! Lol, better to know though 🤔
It’s not a easy decision.

mcseal2

WKR
I'd also like to see Huskemaw tested, but I don't want to pull any of mine off for testing to bad.

For what it's worth I have 6 Huskemaw scopes now. I've had good luck with them dialing reliably and have been replacing other scopes with them as funds allow. I like the covered turrets for my use, and the weight isn't bad for a scope I trust to dial. The glass isn't as good as some, but it's been good enough.

One evening my buddy Dean and I compared his Swaro Z5 3-18x44 with my Huskemaw 3-12x42, both scopes set on 12x. We pulled the bolts out of our guns so there was no chance of anything going wrong and were looking at some of our calves through them as the sun went down from a steady rest on my deck. His was brighter, but we both agreed we could not take a shot with his Swaro we couldn't have with my Huskemaw. For practical use there wasn't much difference. The 5-20x50 is better in low light than the 3-12x or 4-16x as you'd expect with the larger lens

I have 5-20's on my whitetail rifles, 4-16's on my coyote 243 and my 300 win for AK or out west. My coyote AR has a 3-12x and I have a short barreled 308 with a 1-6x. The 243 especially spends a lot of time getting bounced around in a UTV or feed truck, it has not had an easy life. I've been happy with how they hold zero.

fwafwow

WKR
I'd also like to see Huskemaw tested, but I don't want to pull any of mine off for testing to bad.

For what it's worth I have 6 Huskemaw scopes now. I've had good luck with them dialing reliably and have been replacing other scopes with them as funds allow. I like the covered turrets for my use, and the weight isn't bad for a scope I trust to dial. The glass isn't as good as some, but it's been good enough.

One evening my buddy Dean and I compared his Swaro Z5 3-18x44 with my Huskemaw 3-12x42, both scopes set on 12x. We pulled the bolts out of our guns so there was no chance of anything going wrong and were looking at some of our calves through them as the sun went down from a steady rest on my deck. His was brighter, but we both agreed we could not take a shot with his Swaro we couldn't have with my Huskemaw. For practical use there wasn't much difference. The 5-20x50 is better in low light than the 3-12x or 4-16x as you'd expect with the larger lens

I have 5-20's on my whitetail rifles, 4-16's on my coyote 243 and my 300 win for AK or out west. My coyote AR has a 3-12x and I have a short barreled 308 with a 1-6x. The 243 especially spends a lot of time getting bounced around in a UTV or feed truck, it has not had an easy life. I've been happy with how they hold zero.
I’m not trying to be argumentative. Members often have a similar experience and sentiment. For those who have had their scopes bounce around, etc and still hold zero, why is there a reluctance to have the scope tested? I can think several logical answers - including not knowing the testers, not wanting to lose a scope on a rifle (during hunting season or otherwise), etc. It’s an honest question, and I believe the last time I tried to phrase it I failed, as I remember the reply as being pretty argumentative or defensive. So it could be a poor effort on my part.

mcseal2

WKR
No offense taken. For me it’s simply that they are all on rifles and have caused no issues. If I take one off I have to spend ammo re-zeroing. Ammo and components have been hard to come by and expensive lately. The 308 not as much, but I don’t know if a 1-6x is what would be best to test? The AR is using a Hornady Superformance ammo with the 73gr ELD-M thats discontinued. When I run out I have to start over on that gun.

A lesser reason is re-mounting the scopes. All have been on the rifles for a while with no issue. I read Form’s post on mounting a scope and followed it. While not likely, removing one and re-mounting it adds a potential problem. If I don’t get it level, over torque something, etc. it’s just a if its not broke don’t fix it situation. If I had one laying around loose I’d be way more willing to test it.

If the 1-6x would work I’d be willing to pulll it off?

fwafwow

WKR
No offense taken. For me it’s simply that they are all on rifles and have caused no issues. If I take one off I have to spend ammo re-zeroing. Ammo and components have been hard to come by and expensive lately. The 308 not as much, but I don’t know if a 1-6x is what would be best to test? The AR is using a Hornady Superformance ammo with the 73gr ELD-M thats discontinued. When I run out I have to start over on that gun.

A lesser reason is re-mounting the scopes. All have been on the rifles for a while with no issue. I read Form’s post on mounting a scope and followed it. While not likely, removing one and re-mounting it adds a potential problem. If I don’t get it level, over torque something, etc. it’s just a if its not broke don’t fix it situation. If I had one laying around loose I’d be way more willing to test it.

Thanks for replying and those reasons make complete sense to me. I don't know anything about the Huskemaw, so I don't know if that would be one everyone desires to have tested.

I have one of another brand that I'm thinking of sending in but I'm leery about it failing, and what happens if I decide to sell it afterwards. Better to know that it fails now than when I need it, and to share that info with the members, but If I post for sale on RS I would feel the need to mention it, and expect that would drop my sales price. I wish there were folks who liked all of the scopes enough to say "I don't care if it fails, I will take it!" the way I seem to remember (!) others have said about some of the brands that have done well in the tests.

eoperator

WKR
Do you know where huskemaw scopes are made?

On Huskemaw's warranty page;
"Notice: the use of a recoil reducing rest may void warranty" that would be a red flag of durability issues for me.

Do you know where huskemaw scopes are made?

On Huskemaw's warranty page;
"Notice: the use of a recoil reducing rest may void warranty" that would be a red flag of durability issues for me.

I overhead a guy at a gun counter say that lead sleds destroy scopes. Made no sense to me. He said that when a gun isn't allowed to recoil all the recoil goes into a scope.

Recoil is g-forces created, if the gun isn't moving, there's no g-forces.

Now bedding and lug areas I can see taking heavy abuse, but I don't get the idea it will damage a scope. Only if I guess the gun isn't held properly and it does recoil some distance and then encounters a hard stop.

I chocked it up to being the same as so much other gun counter advice.

OdinIII

Lil-Rokslider
I wonder if a solid rest could allow the action to flex? Does the action flex even when held to the shoulder?

I overhead a guy at a gun counter say that lead sleds destroy scopes. Made no sense to me. He said that when a gun isn't allowed to recoil all the recoil goes into a scope.

Recoil is g-forces created, if the gun isn't moving, there's no g-forces.

Now bedding and lug areas I can see taking heavy abuse, but I don't get the idea it will damage a scope. Only if I guess the gun isn't held properly and it does recoil some distance and then encounters a hard stop.

I chocked it up to being the same as so much other gun counter advice.
Good advice in theory and maybe reality. Same thing in auto racing with "safer walls". Impact is absorbed over a longer period of time. Run the same car into the same wall if concrete and it's much more damaging to the car and driver. Recoil force is generated, it may not seem like it's moving the sled but the recoil force is there. It has to go somewhere. If it gets sent back through the rifle then it transmits to the scope, scope internals are getting pounded in a way that is not typical.

Good advice in theory and maybe reality. Same thing in auto racing with "safer walls". Impact is absorbed over a longer period of time. Run the same car into the same wall if concrete and it's much more damaging to the car and driver. Recoil force is generated, it may not seem like it's moving the sled but the recoil force is there. It has to go somewhere. If it gets sent back through the rifle then it transmits to the scope, scope internals are getting pounded in a way that is not typical.

I just don't see how if there's no movement there's damage to a scope.

You think vibrations are just running through the gun?

Think in terms of the "equal and opposite reaction" goes somewhere. Despite the lead sled not seeming to move, the recoil pad would have some give and that puts a lot of stress into the rifle and scope attached to it. The same recoil energy is spread over a small fraction of time compared to shooting off bags. More peak force of deceleration.

sndmn11

WKR

Are they in pic rings? If so, there's a good chance you could rezero with very few shots.

I'm with @fwafwow on wondering why folks are reluctant to test their own stuff or allow it to be tested. You could always run through the protocol yourself, it genuinely takes less than ten minutes and 7 shots.