Rifle scopes you'd love to see Form test

slowelk

WKR
I’d third (maybe 4th) wanting an LRHS2 test. I have three, one with a couple hundred rounds on it. This one is the only one not mounted, but the other two weighed the same. They are consistent.

Attachments

• 8F06E4BD-ED88-43D8-A734-6B6968F3DF84.jpeg
    8F06E4BD-ED88-43D8-A734-6B6968F3DF84.jpeg
    176.1 KB · Views: 86

Deepwoods

FNG
Would love to see how moderately priced items like Bushnell, Burris, vortex viper series, etc compare. Would love to hear about what features are missing compared to higher end scopes and if you could handle settling on these mid value scopes for hunting situations.

freddyG

WKR
Would love to see how moderately priced items like Bushnell, Burris, vortex viper series, etc compare. Would love to hear about what features are missing compared to higher end scopes and if you could handle settling on these mid value scopes for hunting situations.
If $2k+ scopes are pretty fragile, there is probably no hope for the lower priced stuff.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Scopes and bullets are expensive. We won't be dropping scopes that are already suspect. The greedy reason for me to push this along is to see what LR(dialing scopes) pass. I am not against testing non-dialing scope but it won't be our focus.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

Pretty much none of them will pass a single 18” drop. I don’t have a problem trying regular scopes but almost across the board they all suck. As @Ryan Avery stated the LR scopes are the focus, but if someone wants to send non-dialing scopes I will shoot them…. Won’t cost much in ammo, because they won’t get passed the drop eval. And expect a non functioning scope to be returned.

slowelk

WKR
Pretty much none of them will pass a single 18” drop. I don’t have a problem trying regular scopes but almost across the board they all suck. As @Ryan Avery stated the LR scopes are the focus, but if someone wants to send non-dialing scopes I will shoot them…. Won’t cost much in ammo, because they won’t get passed the drop eval. And expect a non functioning scope to be returned.

Be more specific - all scopes in those company's lines, or just the low end?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Be more specific - all scopes in those company's lines, or just the low end?

Just normal set and forget scopes in general. I can’t think of a single sub $600 set and forget that I would term “reliable”, at least for the drop eval.

Deepwoods

FNG
I am still curious about both hunting scopes and high end adjustable scopes. In reality they are for the most part all manufactured similar (for example vortex viper vs razor or Leupold gold ring vs standard when talking hunting scopes). Of course, the price differences many times reflects high end glass and better turret quality, with every upgrade creating a substantial price increase. However, the tube material never changes. Etched reticle vs wire reticle, I have to presume the etched reticle will out perform the mechanical wire setup. But, for many years wire reticles performed just fine so who knows. I work in an industry that has similar habits. Small upgrades that really don’t cost much on the manufacturing side greatly effect end user cost. Marketing and consumer perception are always interesting!

I am still curious about both hunting scopes and high end adjustable scopes. In reality they are for the most part all manufactured similar (for example vortex viper vs razor or Leupold gold ring vs standard when talking hunting scopes). Of course, the price differences many times reflects high end glass and better turret quality, with every upgrade creating a substantial price increase. However, the tube material never changes. Etched reticle vs wire reticle, I have to presume the etched reticle will out perform the mechanical wire setup. But, for many years wire reticles performed just fine so who knows. I work in an industry that has similar habits. Small upgrades that really don’t cost much on the manufacturing side greatly effect end user cost. Marketing and consumer perception are always interesting!
You haven't read the drop evaluation testing have you.
He is litterly saying they are all junk across the board and none have a chance of passing.

Features do not mean jack of it won't say zeroed.

prm

WKR
Do you believe that is predominantly because nearly all basic scopes use the same leaf spring type erector design? My speculation is that for any scope to maintain zero after drops requires a much more robust design.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Do you believe that is predominantly because nearly all basic scopes use the same leaf spring type erector design? My speculation is that for any scope to maintain zero after drops requires a much more robust design.

I don’t know mechanically what causes it. But, it seems that scopes must be designed specifically for side impact resistance to work.

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
In the absence of price limitations, are there any set and forget, or low powered straight tubed, 1-6x24 SFP DG types you think would pass? I need something bomber for my 375HH And I would rather not use a rail to mount it, so my options are quite limited.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
In the absence of price limitations, are there any set and forget, or low powered straight tubed, 1-6x24 SFP DG types you think would pass? I need something bomber for my 375HH And I would rather not use a rail to mount it, so my options are quite limited.

Some of the Trijicon Accupowers have done well, and S&B 1-4’s, etc tend to do well.

SDHNTR

WKR
Some of the Trijicon Accupowers have done well, and S&B 1-4’s, etc tend to do well.
Like it?

On paper, I like the 1-6x24 Zeiss V6 or Tract Toric, but I think you’d probably suggest otherwise?

Attachments

• CFCB9130-4031-418D-88C0-FFE9E371CDB1.png
    CFCB9130-4031-418D-88C0-FFE9E371CDB1.png
    372.7 KB · Views: 80