Rifle rack

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have a cheapo lead sled type. Tipton makes a gun vice cleaning station.

I usually just use a bipod and bag, or bags.

OP
P
This is exactly what I was looking for. I got a new scope but I think I may need to move it forward or back for a better eyebox adjustment. I bought a kit with torque wrench and levels to facilitate any adjustment but the rack to put the rifle in for this was $147 and I wanted to be sure I fully understood all the options before I made the last jump.

It's tough when you realize you have to invest $600 to be able to do things right once every 10 years or so.

build one......

HPIM3805.jpg

Kurts86

WKR
I have a Wilton 4” vise with magnetic plastic soft jaws that have cutouts for barrels and various firearms shapes. I use that a lot for gun and other projects.

I also have a Tipton ultra vise which is functional but kind of overdone while being somewhat cheaply made. It’s one of the better commonly available gun vises but it’s big to store and just OK.

A bipod and a rear bag is a good option on a bench top.

Every once in a while Area 419 has Orange make gun vises that cost $$$Texas.

Axlrod

WKR
I use 3 different set ups:
Portable/also a shooting rest:

Mounted to a bench in my gun room:

In my shop with soft jaws:

Maki35

WKR
Tipton gun vise. They're offered in various models/ budgets. They have compartments to keep your parts in (screws, etc) so, they're not rolling off the table.
You can find them on Amazon, Walmart, and other places.

1708710675657.png

Macintosh

WKR
I built one similar to huntsman22’s above. Except mine is made from leftover framing lumber. Front end has a simple V-notch, the back end has a built-in screw clamp. Everything that touches the gun is padded with leftover marine carpeting. It works pretty well.
I also made a separate piece that stands upright to support the center of my muzzleloaders when they are open, for cleaning and operating on the breech plug area.
Cost me about $4 in hardware store parts. If you count the lumber and padding maybe it’s $25?
IMG_3960.jpeg

Last edited:

uglymud

FNG
Classified Approved
I've got one of the Tipton models and it works okay at best. Think it's going to get switched out for a paternmakers vise at some point.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Reed104R

Lil-Rokslider
Tipton vises are a good economical choice. I routinely see used examples at gun shows and flea markets for $10-30.

rayporter

WKR
this old midway gets used the most. the 2 leather covered boards for the but stock were made to elevate the stock so you can work on the screws on the bottom of the rifle. they also make it super easy to set the rifle in to clean ---they naturally tighten and hold the rifle solid with very little adjustment needed.
Ulfx57g.jpg

rayporter

WKR
the old plastic forks from an mtm cleaning box were repurposed for this portable table. i cut slots in the table that just fit the forks so you can clean or work on the rifle. remove them and fold the table to store. wood or leather covered metal could easily be substituted for the store bought forks. i have seen many other home made rigs covered with carpet.

fAi26WE.jpg