Rifle got me thinking

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
We were in Dallas for the holiday and went to a gun show on Saturday. Saw a gun that kind of peeked my curiousity. The builder seemed to like to play with nice stuff. He had a 6.5-06 in a Nesika action (pre-Dakota Arms) with a Kreiger barrel, Jewell trigger, high dollar stock and floorplate. I didn't think his price was really too bad as he was at $3 grand for the set up. If you didn't like that, he also had a 6.5-284, 25-284, 280AI and a 7mmWSM all decked up in nice rigs. Thinking about getting rid of several guns that I won't ever use and getting a nice one in the 6.5 range for sheep, deer and maybe elk. Any of these make any sense or should I look at something else?

Whisky

WKR
I have been thinking too....

That a 6.5 SAUM in about a 6lb rifle, sans scope, would be about the last rifle I'd ever have to buy. Until the ELR bug hit me anyways, and a 338 starts calling.

As somebody who has a couple customs, they are nice. It's fun to build up a rifle however YOU want it. It's more comfortable, and generally (if you have a good smith) they shoot phenomenal.

3k is about right for something like that, but if you're going to spend 3k on a rifle, I would suggest a lot of research and thought go into it, source the components you want,yourself, so it's done right with no (less) regrets.

That said, I have done 2 complete builds and there is always things I'd change after the fact.

30-338mag

FNG
We were in Dallas for the holiday and went to a gun show on Saturday. Saw a gun that kind of peeked my curiousity. The builder seemed to like to play with nice stuff. He had a 6.5-06 in a Nesika action (pre-Dakota Arms) with a Kreiger barrel, Jewell trigger, high dollar stock and floorplate. I didn't think his price was really too bad as he was at $3 grand for the set up. If you didn't like that, he also had a 6.5-284, 25-284, 280AI and a 7mmWSM all decked up in nice rigs. Thinking about getting rid of several guns that I won't ever use and getting a nice one in the 6.5 range for sheep, deer and maybe elk. Any of these make any sense or should I look at something else?

It is nice to hunt with one rifle I've tried it few time that led me to a 280AI,284 on a long action and few others along with my latest build 270Wby.