6.5 or .223 for a practice rifle

mww982

WKR
I have 3 rifles, a crappy Remington 597 .22 LR and two Browning X-Bolt's (7mm-08 and .300 win mag). To improve my shooting, I am thinking about getting another X-Bolt in either .223 or 6.5 creedmoor. The practice X-Bolt would be a dedicated practice gun and would be used if I do a little predator hunting. Between the .223 or 6.5 creedmoor, which would you get?

Asking because I want to keep the round count down on the other two and as my dedicated hunting rigs.

Last edited:

woods89

WKR
I have both, although neither are Brownings.

223 all the way. Lots of fun and ammo is cheap!

If you are like me, after a year or two you'll realize your hit rates are way better with it, and you'll start thinking about hunting with it........

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
I have both, although neither are Brownings.

223 all the way. Lots of fun and ammo is cheap!

If you are like me, after a year or two you'll realize your hit rates are way better with it, and you'll start thinking about hunting with it........
Yep, my thoughts too. And barrel life on the 223 will be at least double.

You looking at getting a new xbolt or used?

Reason I ask, is because some of the xbolt twist rates for 223 aren't that great. I thought about getting one a few years back and the rate was 1:10. I can't remember what sub-model it was though.
Might be okay with some of the heavier bullets but if you plan on using the 77gr TMKs ever might look for the 1:8 on the newer ones and pay attention to the older used ones.

Edit: I'd definitely go 223, forgot to state that.

Last edited:

Maki35

WKR
Practice with .223.
6.5 Creedmoor is more than double the cost of .223 per round. And hard to find in some places.

BjornF16

WKR
Just spring for a Tikka .223 with 8” twist. I might have a lead on one in DFW if interested

KenLee

WKR
I have a .22, an old Remington 597…..figured that’s not a good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Probably not. They aren't what I'd call good for accuracy and known for extraction issues.
An old Marlin model 60 in good shape is great for the $150-200ish price tag they bring.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
5d60f2015ffc2930877d3fffc8ece0f4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

J Burton

FNG
For your purposes I am going to echo what most people have been saying, .223. The economy for training and the flexibility into predator hunting is ideal. Just keep in mind what ammo you plan to predominently shoot. 55gr loadings are plentiful and varmint loadings are typically lighter. You'll have better accuracy and terminal performance if you get a slower twist rate and plan to run lighter loads. If you want to push some distance with heavier pills a 1:8 will be the most flexible in caliber. Just my .02

One more for the 223 team. It is a very flexible round and can be cheaply shot with the right deals. The 1:8 twist Tikka is pretty popular around here, and for good reason. Regardless of what you choose, I wouldn't buy anything with a higher twist rate than 1:8, just in case you want to shoot the bigger pills later on.

The 6.5 creed is a fun little cartridge, but nothing earth shattering, especially when comparing prices to shooting .223.
If I could recommend something else, I would look into an accurate .22 LR bolt action. Many new 22 LR's are way more accurate than they have any right to be, and even cheap ammo like CCI Subsonic shoots well in most of them. I shoot mine all winter suppressed at the deer lease in my downtime between hunts. I've taken it out past 300 on a few occasions.