Rifle elk altitudes - second guessing - greys river - western Wyoming

Cowbell

WKR
I just got my feet on the ground for the first time in my wife and I's hunt area. Due to limited time, we were not able to spend time hiking to the highest meadows where most elk are currently located. We did, however, narrow down our trailheads and the areas we want to focus our hunting - mostly based off old sign and food/water/cover. We did see some cows at lower elevations but only in one place. And we were surprised at how many muley Bucks we saw low.

However, after talking with some locals and NF Rangers we were led to believe that the elk would still be extremely high for the Oct. 15 opener. With most of our spots in the 7500- 9000 ft range, I am now second guessing myself. Anyone with any knowledgesof these areas that could help me filter this it would be much appreciated.
Not wanting anyone's spots, etc. - just general advice whether I should start looking higher.

I hunt the Pinedale/Hoback/Bridger-Teton areas west of you. Bottom line is that until there are some big snows the larger herds usually don't get pushed down into the lower elevations. Most of our 'usual' spots lie in the 7500-9000' range as well, and most years when 15 October hits we're just hoping for heavy snows. There are smaller resident elk populations that will be present at your altitudes, but they stay pretty well timbered up. Getting up to the higher elevations is no easy task, especially if you don't know the area/not using a guide, so be safe if you decide to charge. While you won't see huge herds streaming down in mid october unless they are getting pushed down by the weather, there ARE elk at your altitude. I've switched to archery for elk and am going to be hunting them between 8000-10000 this year - if we can't get on any bulls at the lower elevations we'll keep pushing higher.

I sure appreciate the advice. I will just have some high areas marked in case we don't find them at our primary spots. Or in case we need to separate ourselves from other hunters.
I was up there this weekend and it sure was warm. Hope it cools off soon. I wish you guys luck on your hunt and hope you get some good rutting action.

Just remember...the game in that region is going to get moved around ALOT, by the time Oct 15th rolls around. Weather aside, the amount of pressure the area sees from the deer hunting is beyond explainable really...so just pay more attention to scouting the country, the land, glassing points, etc...than what animals you see. Because it will be an entirely different landscape come that opener...especially if there is snow on the ground by then as well.

Just remember...the game in that region is going to get moved around ALOT, by the time Oct 15th rolls around. Weather aside, the amount of pressure the area sees from the deer hunting is beyond explainable really...so just pay more attention to scouting the country, the land, glassing points, etc...than what animals you see. Because it will be an entirely different landscape come that opener...especially if there is snow on the ground by then as well.

That's exactly what I was thinking as well. We actually have a wknd plan vs weekdays due to the amount of pressure. We realize a lot of people will hunt high and therefore push elk into really secluded timber locations at lower elevations. I appreciate your advice.

Bottom line is that until there are some big snows the larger herds usually don't get pushed down into the lower elevations. Most of our 'usual' spots lie in the 7500-9000' range as well, and most years when 15 October hits we're just hoping for heavy snows.

How much snow is "big snows"? This will be my first ever elk hunt, and I'm coming from NY. Unfortunately, I can't do any scouting. I'm stuck looking at Google Earth. Does it take 2' of snow? 10"? Obviously, it depends on lots of factors, but do you have a general, "When the snow gets to their knees, they start dropping in elevation" or any other guesses?

Would be hard for me to put a specific number to it - basically deep enough that it starts to impact their mobility a bit and make it harder to get to the food - I'd 'guess' it's knee height or so. Light dusting or snows that quickly melt off generally won't do it. In my experience when it dumps up there you'll know it.

Last time I hunted Grand Teton Park and hit the migration, it was around 2 feet that got them moving.

Lots of elk in that area. Cover ground and hunt hard. They will be in the timber
Thanks for this advice. I have big spots of dark timber marked (mostly north slopes) as well as smaller pockets of timber along high points with benches. What areas should I make the first priority?

I will be there from sept 15th to the end of the month if I dnt kill. Get with me after that and I'll tell you what I know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for this advice. I have big spots of dark timber marked (mostly north slopes) as well as smaller pockets of timber along high points with benches. What areas should I make the first priority?

Where the elk are:D
Honestly I could give 2 shits about elk. They are fun to hunt but not that hard to get into.
I have hunted elk around that area about every year for 10 or so years. It's just tough hunting that time of year. They are in the timber and it's thick. I see tons of elk and huge bulls during deer season though.

How did your hunt go? I am doing a bunch of e- scouting in this area now. Lots of work ahead. This hunt doable without horses? Will be there in September and back for October if needed.

Back