Rifle Cow Moose

Ucsdryder

WKR
The moose in the pic sure looks like a yearling (1.5yo). Every bit of that meat would eat almost like tenderloin. I'd definitely use an arrow and save 100% of the meat from blood shot.
I’d be tempted to carry a bow and a rifle. In my experience getting close to Colorado moose isn’t too tough!

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
Thanks for the replies.
I was always favoring the ‘06.

As I’ve mentioned before, my bow is staying at home this year.

I have several boxes of ‘06 on the shelf already, loaded up with these.

IMG_3573.jpeg

jaydoc24

FNG
For your rifle choice, both options are solid, but I'd lean towards the 30-06 Winchester M70 with 180gr handloads. It has plenty of power for a cow moose and is a bit lighter and easier to handle compared to the 340 Weatherby. Plus, the 30-06 is a proven performer with manageable recoil, which can be an advantage for making accurate shots in various hunting conditions.

Good luck with your hunt, and I hope you have a successful and memorable experience!

Since its a meat hunt, and a rifle is involved, and most cow moose in CO are not hard to get 50yds from, I'd shoot her right between the eyes, or neck shoot her when she turns. It would be nice having no damage at all to the main torso. Especially that young cow.

And for those with a soft stomach, a cow moose dead has to be the ugliest BG animal there is. If you need a photo, take one of her on her side head away.

1723748300046.png

7mm Man

Lil-Rokslider
I just scored a cow moose tag that was turned in for unit 49 & 500 in Colorado. I have never hunted moose before. Does anyone have any tips they can share on strategy? I have heard people say they have called cows in while calling for bulls. I am going to have at least 5 full days to hunt. I will say the tag fee for a non-resident cow is a little ridiculous, but I had no points that are going to burn and I just want to hunt. I was actually surprised to get an email like that. Thanks in advance.

Use a 12 gauge with TSS buckshot and hold center-mass. Boom!

Moose.jpg

Or just use the rifle you shoot the best and slip one behind the shoulder. It shouldn't be a difficult shot.