Rifle choice under $1000

Quite a few good rifles for under $1,000. I'm definitely going to be another backer for the Remington model 700. It's tried-and-true and known for being reliable and accurate. There's a reason this gun has seen every war we've been in since Vietnam

No doubt it’s s solid design but there is ZERO similarity between the Remington of today and the Remington of yesteryear; much less the Vietnam era. You do realize that the Remington company that exists today is owned and controlled by a private equity firm that bought it in a fire sale after it was run into the ground producing terrific rifles and losing money for years, right? When the 700 was created and made famous it was owned by DuPont who sold it to an investment firm that kept things largely as they were but found it hard to produce quality and innovation along with profits. Thereby setting the stage for the sale to current owners, Cerberus Capitol Management who don’t give a DAMN about anything but profits and have let QC drop to the lowest in the industry.
The only similarity between those and the ones produced currently is the name of the company and the rough design of the receiver. The new rifles being put forth today only resemblance to the quality product of the past is the logo and the color of the box.

“Reliable?” You mean like the X-Mark Pro Trigger? Lol!

Now, if you want to buy a rifle to strip the barrel and trigger (and probably the stock) to have a gunsmith true the action, spin up a new barrel and install a new trigger along with some stock work, you can have a factory rifle that shoots like a Tikka, Savage, Weatherby, etc. will out of their boxes. Personally, I prefer to buy a rifle that I can shoot really well right out of the box, as-is, and without needing upgrades to shoot like the others.

I have no problem giving Remington props for the original design and for turning out millions of great rifles since 1962. Heck, I own a bunch of them and 4 full custom rifles built on 700 clone custom actions. But recommending Remington these days is entirely based on nostalgia rather than current reality and it does a disservice. Anyone can get lucky with a factory rifle and end up with a 1-holer by pure blind luck; but doing so with a Remington is like winning the powerball while so many others are more like winning a round of bingo at your local VFW.

H82miss

Lil-Rokslider
Just throwing this out there, but I really like my Winchester M70 featherweights. I have an older (1980s) .243 and one of the newer CRF models in 270WSM. Probably not as light as some of the synthetic stocked models, but the I love the walnut wood stock so I'm willing to carry a little extra weight. Mine both shoot well and available in many calibers. $700-800 range.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just throwing this out there, but I really like my Winchester M70 featherweights. I have an older (1980s) .243 and one of the newer CRF models in 270WSM. Probably not as light as some of the synthetic stocked models, but the I love the walnut wood stock so I'm willing to carry a little extra weight. Mine both shoot well and available in many calibers. $700-800 range.

I like mine as well (have two- .06 and .257, both topped w/ Leupy 6X's) and lighter than one would think, despite the beautiful stock :)

aFgQMOQ.jpg

CE8YZci.jpg