rifle choice for Alaska hunts.

OP
KINGSNAKE

KINGSNAKE

WKR
Im really not worried about caliber. More about accuracy and durability. I really dont want to go to POW and get my rifle rained on for Seven days in a row and bring home a rusty stick. Especially my Cooper.

Moe.JKU

FNG
I have the savage 116 ww and it seems to be holding up alright and I live on the coast of BC so same salt water exposure as AK. Hunted from boats a few times, just make sure you take care of which ever one you get and it will be fine.

GKPrice

Banned
from all accounts CERAKOTE seems to be gaining in popularity - you could go with industrial hard chrome or there's that "salt bath nitride" (that I know even less about) or you could keep all metal parts wiped down each night with RIG grease and I doubt you'd have to worry about rust much - hard to fault a 30-06 as a choice for sure ....

AXEL

WKR
I have a couple Gun-Koted and Ceracoted and, frankly, I have no more confidence in these finishes than in properly done and maintained bluing, especially the fabulous rust blue used by Brno on the classic 21/22 and ZG series rifles.

With today's guncare products and proper attention to their daily use, any current or classic rifle will work just fine in BC-AK coastal conditions. I have lived/worked/carried rifles on the northern tip of Van. Is., at Ocean Falls, Bella Bella and Bella Coola, BC and at Stewart and never had a major issue, but, I look after my tools.

OP
KINGSNAKE

KINGSNAKE

WKR
I'm just about to pull the trigger on having my 338 cerikoted but I was wondering if you can reapply the coating to high wear areas like a Bolt knob. I have a 260 that has a teflon coating and the bolt knob is getting shinny in less than a 100 rounds fired at the range and one hunt in Montana this past fall. Overall the majority of the coating is holding up but I just want to know what I'm getting into.

OP
KINGSNAKE

KINGSNAKE

WKR
One more question. If I didn't have the gun coated. And we went to POW for a week and the gun game back with some rust. Do they bead blast it before coating and could you have it coated post rust. If it got some rust?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I wouldn't stress too much! I have a stainless remington model 7 that is 20 years old and sure it has a couple specks of rusts on it but nothing obscene and its been to POW for 2 weeks, and Kodiak for 4 weeks as well as prince William sound several weeks. All on the salt. It's a tool doesn't have to look perfectly cherry to work. Same can be said for my Ruger that I have had for 10 years and my Kimber I have had for 5 years all have spent lots of time around the salt, but a few minor specks aren't gonna make them not shoot. I don't stress about it at all. Don't over think it.

OP
KINGSNAKE

KINGSNAKE

WKR
Okay thanks luke. Let's get back to rifle recommendations because I still have a 300 wsm on my short list. I looked up Montana rifle company. I would like to hear from guys with a Montana rifle Co rifle. As of right now I think it's between the Montanna rifle Co. And Winchester. I'm a little gun shy of Kimber. Lots of happy customers but there are a lot of guys that have had problems. I know all rifles can have issues but it doesn't sound like Kimber is gonna help you if you have a problem. I was one of probably a handful of guys that got a Cooper with a bad barrel. BUT they have been outstanding and they are in the process of putting a new barrel on it at their expense. EVERY time I called them I got terrific service. But they don't make a 300 wsm. And I like variety.

Last edited:
I would trust the opinions of Luke, stid, colonel, edge, kodiakfly (I'm sure I missed or messed up some names) on the Alaska rifles. These guys live up there and do it every year.

GKPrice

Banned
Mazama Gunshop in Eugene OR has a Winchester SS classic in a synthetic that the owner bought from an estate 2 days ago, has $595 on it - Adam - 541-913-0911 It's a 300 WSM and I'd bet it has never been fired

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Muzzle brakes are great for snipers. For hunting and general bench shooting, they're horrible. If a person needs a brake, they need a smaller cartridge rifle. Or to man up. Granted the biggest rifle I've ever shot is only a 460 weatherby, but I've never felt hard recoil yet.

I just bought a tikka t3 lite stainless in 300 wsm and its lights out accurate and a real pleasure to shoot.

Not to start and argument or anything, but I guess I would disagree with the above. I know that some guys don't like brakes and some do and I have them on every single rifle I own. I especially like them for hunting, not for recoil, although that helps but I have them to eliminate muzzle jump and they do improve accuracy. I have one on my 260 Ackley. They allow me to spot my own shots which is important to me. That all being said, they're all good rifles and the weather warrior is also not a bad choice.

Randy

Stid2677

WKR
I don't own one but I did research Montana rifles and everyone I ask about them said they were great rifles and quality built.

Check out Froglube paste,, follow the instructions and make sure to clean all the petroleum based lube off your gun with alcohol and then heat it up as the instructions say and give it a good coat of the paste. This stuff is great as both a lube and rust preventive.

handwerk

WKR
Snake, I recently picked up a used MRC XWR 300wsm and so far I've been quite pleased with it. I did stick it in a bansner stock, but otherwise it's a well put together rig.

Lil-Rokslider
I have been shooting a Tikka T3 Lite SS 300WSM for 10years now and love it. I have drug it all around Alaska. The rifle is super accurate and will shoot one ragged hole with 180 grn bullets if I do my part.

hodgeman

WKR
I've used the .300WSM nearly exclusively for going on 9 years. It's done a great job.

I've got a Nosler, an X-Bolt, had a smattering of Kimbers, a Tikka T3, a Savage, and had a few Rugers.

They all work (or worked) just fine. Don't overthink this.

hdbow

FNG
I have never been to Alaska, that being said I do own a 116 WW and it's a great gun. Accustock and trigger are awesome. I like all the choices and have spent time with each I just always come to the defense of the Savage.

AXEL

WKR
Just a little comment here on a post above: While, I certainly DO respect the advice from those mentioned as living in AK, the fact is that we who offered opinions based on living here on the BC coast also have just a "bit" of wet climate experience on which to base them.

BC's central coast and the northern tip of Van. Is. are, by actual measurement, the wettest region in North America, we get even MORE rain than SE-AK. I have lived and worked all along the coast and on the AK-BC border, carrying working rifles every day for months on end and the issues faced thereby are identical in both jurisdictions.

No offence or hassle intended here, just a point to consider in the overall discussion.

I wrote that post, and if you know me, the last thing I meant to do was offend anyone...Call it ignorance on my post, but everyone can add British Columbia or any other wet, salty region to my comment...I probably typed that in a hurry and was focuse in the Alaska hunts part.

Hopefully I will get up there (bc or Alaska) to experience it myself someday. Definitely on the bucket list!