Rifle Case for Flying

I have an antelope hunt next month and it will be my first time flying with a gun. My southwest flight includes 2 free checked bags, so I am hoping to find a tsa approved case that fits the size requirement for a free bag. The case needs to be 63” (h+w+l) or under. My rifle is 44” long and my searches haven’t come up with much. I’m probably chasing a unicorn but figured I’d see if any one had any ideas. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
Based on my reading of their policy page, I believe that Southwest will accept a "sporting goods" bag/case in lieu of a standard checked bag even if it doesn't meet the standard dimensional restriction. This would be same for the guys lugging the golf bag/cases or a hunter with a bow or rifle case. I hope I read it right, because I'm flying with them in October to Idaho.

OP
beerbucksducks
Based on my reading of their policy page, I believe that Southwest will accept a "sporting goods" bag/case in lieu of a standard checked bag even if it doesn't meet the standard dimensional restriction. This would be same for the guys lugging the golf bag/cases or a hunter with a bow or rifle case. I hope I read it right, because I'm flying with them in October to Idaho.

That would be great. I’ll have to re-read their policy page. Thanks!

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The hunt back country podcast did an episode on flying with guns in the past, you may want to listen to it if you haven't before. Covers some of the things to expect and keep in mind.

-Big airports after declaring your gun at check in you usually have to bring it to a separate TSA office to check it in, you'll want to wait there till they've scanned it and it doesn't hurt to hang around that vicinity for a while in case they call you back for something.
-Small one terminal airports you declare and set the gun 10' to the side by a door, lol.
-The gun will be at large item pickup on the other side.
-ALL locking locations on the case need to be locked
-Most folks use a non-tsa set of keyed locks, put your phone number on the locks so they can contact you if needed. That is also why you wait for it to clear their screening.
-All magazines need to be unloaded, ammo needs to be in an appropriate contain (original boxes or the plastic ammo cases for example). Ammo can be in the same case as the gun.
-Some folks just check the gun and have contoured padding in their case. Others maximize the weight capacity, I personally do the latter and pack optics, tripod, etc. into the gun case too wrapped in clothes and such as padding.

wyosteve

WKR
I bought a Nanuk last year with wheels. No problem getting it checked. Scheels carries several brands as does Sportsman's Warehouse. I'd suggest getting one with wheels since it is a bit cumbersome if you have to carry it very far.

I have the Apache 9800 from Harbor Freight. It's 55" long and you can probably score one for just over $100 with one of those "rare" coupon Harbor Freight distributes...

I just flew with it to Alaska. Here are some suggestions (some of these were given to me by friends who fly often with rifles, too):

1. Take all of the foam out and pack the rifle with gear to 50lbs. I put it in a soft case with my down pants under it and down jacket over it. Around it I packed my ammo (hand loads in a hard plastic case), bino (in a hard case), clothes, and the random items.

2. The Apache only takes two locks. The shackles need to be 7/8" long to not be able to be pryed open. I bought these on Amazon and they worked great. The rifle case snaps were open when I landed and it looked like TSA had tried to check and see if the locks were effective and case could not be pried open. Everything was inside and those locks will not allow the case to pry. I had longer shackles on there before ordering these (1-1.5") and it could be cracked just a little more than I liked.

3. I put an AirTag in the case. There's some back and forth on whether or not you should/shouldn't/how useful it is to do this, but it saved me some time on the way to AK. I could see my rifle was sitting in baggage claim as we were on the tarmac of the runway. I called the AK Airlines in my departing city as soon as I landed in the connecting city. I described the case, where it was, (had my name on it), etc. They had it on the next flight out directly to my destination city.

I'm sure it would've showed up eventually, but calling definitely served as a catalyst and had my rifle show up only a few hours after me...which was great as we were headed into the field soon.

Hope this helps!

Edit: The Apache has wheels and I would definitely +1 on @wyosteve comment. The wheels are really nice when you have several things with you.

Kurts86

WKR
I’ve never seen total length be a problem flying with a double rifle case on Southwest or any airline. I believe it’s correct it’s treated like ski’s, golf clubs or a bike for flying. All your typical pelican/apache 2 gun cases are fine.

OP
beerbucksducks
I appreciate all the info! After re-reading southwests website, I believe everyone is correct, if it is under 50lbs I should be good! Thanks

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a pelican case with wheels on it. It could fit 2 rifles but I usually just travel with one.

I can also put my trekking poles, binos etc etc in it.

I used to use a heavier duty Plano case that was almost like a pelican, i took the foam out and would just use clothing to pack around the gun so I could save space.

Seak_angler

FNG
Classified Approved
Another vote for a pelican case. I have one. Make sure you have enough locks for whatever one you decide to use. Not sure about other airlines but with Alaska airlines they state wherever there is holes for a padlock you need one there.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Another vote for the Harbor Freight Apache. I looked at them a while back and they looked pretty stout. If I didn't have 3 others already I may have bought one as they were on sale at the time.

I have the Apache 9800 from Harbor Freight. It's 55" long and you can probably score one for just over $100 with one of those "rare" coupon Harbor Freight distributes...

I just flew with it to Alaska. Here are some suggestions (some of these were given to me by friends who fly often with rifles, too):

1. Take all of the foam out and pack the rifle with gear to 50lbs. I put it in a soft case with my down pants under it and down jacket over it. Around it I packed my ammo (hand loads in a hard plastic case), bino (in a hard case), clothes, and the random items.

2. The Apache only takes two locks. The shackles need to be 7/8" long to not be able to be pryed open. I bought these on Amazon and they worked great. The rifle case snaps were open when I landed and it looked like TSA had tried to check and see if the locks were effective and case could not be pried open. Everything was inside and those locks will not allow the case to pry. I had longer shackles on there before ordering these (1-1.5") and it could be cracked just a little more than I liked.

3. I put an AirTag in the case. There's some back and forth on whether or not you should/shouldn't/how useful it is to do this, but it saved me some time on the way to AK. I could see my rifle was sitting in baggage claim as we were on the tarmac of the runway. I called the AK Airlines in my departing city as soon as I landed in the connecting city. I described the case, where it was, (had my name on it), etc. They had it on the next flight out directly to my destination city.

I'm sure it would've showed up eventually, but calling definitely served as a catalyst and had my rifle show up only a few hours after me...which was great as we were headed into the field soon.

Hope this helps!

Edit: The Apache has wheels and I would definitely +1 on @wyosteve comment. The wheels are really nice when you have several things with you.
this is my go to as well. put the rifle in a soft case and load the apache up with gear.