Rifle Build - 300prc Suggestions before it starts?

Well, it's becoming a reality - a rifle I've wanted to build for about 2 years now is finally happening.

Spec's that I've outlined so far:
-300 PRC
-CF wrapped barrel 24-26" long
-CF Stock w/MLOK rail inlayed into the fore end (otherwise a more traditional stock versus a chassis)
-Rem 700 Action, will be blue printed
-Fluted bolt, different bolt knob - nothing crazy, just easier to run with gloves but not obnoxious like my other bolt guns
-Leupold MK5 5-25 scope
-Alaskan 360Ti

The M-Lok rail on the fore end will give me some flexibility for mounting a bipod, getting the sling mount exactly where I want, as well as attaching a arca/swiss plate for tripod shooting (when possible).

Will be a somewhat light-weight build that'll kick like a mule, but I hope to not be shooting it too much in any single day.

For those that have been down this road before.... anything different that you'd suggest? I'm 100% sold on the lightweight build as I plan on humping it around quite a bit and want something that can reach a bit further than my current 6.5 creedmoor. My buddy has one, the 212gr ELDX's do an amazing job.

Well, it's becoming a reality - a rifle I've wanted to build for about 2 years now is finally happening.

Spec's that I've outlined so far:
-300 PRC
-CF wrapped barrel 24-26" long
-CF Stock w/MLOK rail inlayed into the fore end (otherwise a more traditional stock versus a chassis)
-Rem 700 Action, will be blue printed
-Fluted bolt, different bolt knob - nothing crazy, just easier to run with gloves but not obnoxious like my other bolt guns
-Leupold MK5 5-25 scope
-Alaskan 360Ti

The M-Lok rail on the fore end will give me some flexibility for mounting a bipod, getting the sling mount exactly where I want, as well as attaching a arca/swiss plate for tripod shooting (when possible).

Will be a somewhat light-weight build that'll kick like a mule, but I hope to not be shooting it too much in any single day.

For those that have been down this road before.... anything different that you'd suggest? I'm 100% sold on the lightweight build as I plan on humping it around quite a bit and want something that can reach a bit further than my current 6.5 creedmoor. My buddy has one, the 212gr ELDX's do an amazing job.

I built one last year. This is my set up.

Bartlein 26” m24 CF barrel 1:9 twist
Defiance anti x action
Manners eh1 stock
Hawkings bottom metal and flush mag
Trigger tech trigger
TI pro 5 port brake
Nightforce extreme 6 screw rings
Nightforce nx8 4-32

Mine weighed in at right around 9.5 pounds. The recoil is nothing with the brake in. This fun kicks less than my wife’s 7WSM and it’s heavier with less powder charge.

I have around 75-85 rounds down the tube and thus far and shooting a 2.5” group at 500 and 6-8” at 1000. I still want to try fine tuning the load.

I have 12 boxes of 212 eldx but haven’t shot any to see how they group. I hear they fly great. I also have 11 pounds of h1000 as well.

I’m impressed with the round and it’s ability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S
Appreciate the response. I failed to mention that it will have a trigger tech as well, and the Hawkins bottom metal/flush mag.

Had been talking to my hunting buddy long enough about wanting to build this gun that he went and built one, damned near identical to how I'm wanting mine built. Thing is a shooter, that's for sure.

Appreciate the response. I failed to mention that it will have a trigger tech as well, and the Hawkins bottom metal/flush mag.

Had been talking to my hunting buddy long enough about wanting to build this gun that he went and built one, damned near identical to how I'm wanting mine built. Thing is a shooter, that's for sure.

You’ll enjoy it! I’d suggest a 1:9 twist in case you want to shoot heavier loads. I’m shouting berger 215’s that are hand loaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unckebob

WKR
It sounds like it is a hunting build from your overall description.

My only comments are questions.
- Do you really "need" a barrel that long for its intended use?
- Could you cut the barrel back by 4" and run a suppressor to mitigate recoil without having an unwieldy rifle?

BAKPAKR

WKR
Do you already have the donor Remington 700 action? If not, you should add up the costs of fixing one up vs buying one of the cheaper custom actions.

OP
S
Already have a donor action - barrel has already been ripped off, so that part is ready to go. The builder I use doesn't really care who's action it is - he checks everything before he starts building it anyways.

The barrel length is intentional - name of the game here is velocity. Already planning on running a suppressor on it either way.

Buddy's barrel is 1" x 26" - the rifle balances incredibly well with the CF Wrap. Mine will have a bit more of a contour.

I used to want a rifle very much like the one you have specified. Then I started doing some reading:
Post in thread 'Carbon fiber barrels with a good track record?' https://www.longrangeonly.com/forum...ls-with-a-good-track-record.11541/post-120845

Post in thread 'Rugged Alaskan 360 TI' https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/rugged-alaskan-360-ti.295981/post-3007687

Post in thread 'Mesa Altitude or Stocky's Next Gen Ultra Carbon Hunter VG for Tikka' https://rokslide.com/forums/threads...arbon-hunter-vg-for-tikka.287101/post-2828046

Nowadays, I'd look for a Tikka or sako action, bartlein or pva steel barrel at 16-18", nightforce F1 scope, krg bravo chassis and a cgs hyperion can. I'd also lean towards a smaller, faster cartridge with less recoil, like a 6 5 prc or 6 UM to up my max lethal range and hit rate at distance.
https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/the-6um.290585/

OP
S
Thanks for that info dump!

I know the 360 isn’t going to be the quietest can in the world; frankly if I want a quiet rifle I’ll grab a gun that’s better suited for it. The goal of the 360 is to protect my ears a bit more over just a bare muzzle. Something is better than nothing with a minimal weight penalty. The fact that it can handle 338 is a huge bonus if I ever go that route.

Never seen the mesa stock in person; going with a different brand.

Picture stolen from the interwebs of the stock that’ll be used.

If this was going to be a PRS or anything else, I wouldn’t be worried about CF anything. All of my other 700s are HBAR style with big stocks. They just suck for humping around.

Builder has a reputation and will test fire the gun to verify accuracy before delivery. This is 100% a pay-to-play YOLO build.

Attachments

• IMG_7787.jpeg
    IMG_7787.jpeg
    7.6 KB · Views: 41

SDHNTR

WKR
Imo, a “hunting” gun with a 26” barrel and another 3” brake is not a hunting gun!

My .300 prc is 24” with an APA lil Bastard brake and it’s borderline too long. I’d go 22” if doing it again. Absolutely not 26”.

I’d also rethink that scope. Way better choices.

moxford

Lil-Rokslider
Lots already covered, but read up on 300 PRC clickers, and look to using the Alex Wheeler (AW2) reamer variant of the 300 PRC if you are going to reload.

Or go 30 Sherman Magnum (which is basically 300PRC AI, and will shoot 300PRC fine as well.)

And def go 22" for hunting.

Cheers,
 -mox