Rifle and Scope?

USMCret

FNG
So we have about put the tent to bed so the second most important, DO NOT want to get into argument of what is the best caliber for sheep but instead maybe the options employed to lighten. If there is a particular Model that you would argue for like a Kimber Mountain Ascent Caza. What do you have or know about. I know a lot of guys are really liking the 6.5 creedmoor or the 300 win, I’m not a short mag guy but know that can help drop a little weight. And just as important what optics do you have on top. WHAT DOES YOUR WHOLE PACKAGE WEIGHT and are you counting your sling? I know I’m using this as an excuse to add another gun to the safe but my 300 is 9.5lbs and that is a tad heavy. I’m a retired Marine so you guys with 10k rigs will have to give the rest of us a break. If you don’t mind sharing what you have in your weapon please do so. I’m hoping to stay under 4k. Ok…Let them fly…..

Last edited:

ljalberta

WKR
My go-to is my Fieldcraft in 6.5CM with a SWFA 3-9. With a custom rail and Ken Farrell rings, it’s all-in at 6.85lb. I don’t use a sling and I’d add a suppressor if it was legal here. Even in 6.5CM, it’s a little jumpy to stay in the sight picture for spotting impacts under 400 yards for me. I’ve come to realize I don’t like light guns in large chambering.

But I would be equally happy with a Tikka in 22CM (if legal) or 6CM, chopped to 18”, Rokstok, and maybe some sheep porting or UM action cuts with a SWFA 6x or 3-9.

TN2shot07

WKR
I think you were barking up the right tree to begin with, I’d hunt down a Kimber mtn ascent or Montana in 270 win (because it just seems right, 280 ai would be my second choice) and call it a day. I don’t think you go wrong with a Leupold vx6 2-12, Swaro z5 3-15 (I really like their ballistic turret system) or one of the mavens if you can find it.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Buy an 8 twist .223 or .22-250 Tikka. $800ish

Send it to Karl Kampfeld and have him cut the barrel, thread barrel, add shoulder, stamp chambering, and re-chamber to 22 Creedmoor. $500ish

Buy a RokStok when they come back available for ordering, or try to find one here in the classifieds. $600.00

Buy a High Desert Bottom Metal. $135

Buy a SWFA Fixed 6 Scope. $300

Buy UM Tikka Rings, Level Bubble, and Bolt Handle. $200

Buy a suppressor if desired.

Buy a pile of 22 Creedmoor Hornady Precision Hunter 80 ELDX or Hornady Match 80 ELDM factory ammo.

Without ammo or suppressor you're at $2,500ish for a gun that will reliably shoot and kill way past the vast majority of folks shooting abilities. Add in $1,500 for suppressor and ammo and you are right at your 4K budget.

Install everything per @Formidilosus method and go kill!

pbroski

Lil-Rokslider
For serious backcountry mountain hunts for from 11 to 22 days, I've used the following:

Tikka T3 .338WM with Leupold 1.75-6x32 - no sling
Kimber Hunter .280AI with Leupold 2-7x28 - no sling
Kimber Hunter .280AI with Leupold 2.5-8x32 -no sling
Kimber Hunter .280AI with NF NX8 1-8x24 - no sling
Kimber Adirondack 6.5CM with NF NX8 1-8x24 - no sling

Next year, it will be either the Kimber Adirondack 6.5CM with the NX8 or another Adirondack in .22ARC with a NF NXS 2.5-10x42 - no sling.

For the following year's hunt, it's possible it could be a Tikka T3 6mm Dasher or 6mm GT with a Wildcat stock. Scope - undecided.

So that's where I'm at in my hunting career. In the high country, it's so much better to be unburdened with a light rifle. Anything much over 6.25 pounds no longer interests me.

Smoke10

FNG
I took a Weatherby Mark V Hunter in .280 AI to AK this August. My rifle setup includes Talley scope rings/bases and a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44. I run a Harris bipod, I think it's a 9-13 inch. I do not run a sling.
If I remember correctly, this setup weighs 8.5 - 9 lbs.
Biggest thing I don't like about this rifle is I'm not a fan of the Weatherby Mark V safety - just my personal opinion/preference.

If a person could find a Kimber Montana, I think it would make a great option also.

This summer I tried to order a Montana new and found out the Kimber Montana chambered in .280 AI has been discontinued effective this summer...

The ram I took this year was with a Tikka T3 in 6.5 CM. Trijicon Ceredo 2.5-15x in Hawkins Hybrid rings.

The rifle was $629 with a $75 rebate last year on Black Friday. Scope was ~$1,000 and rings around $100. It was a factory stock, but I did put on a Victor cheek riser and vertical grip (combined cost of ~$70).

That would leave you with $2,250 to burn through a pile of ammo get reeeally familiar and proficient with that rifle.

Last edited:

LightFoot

WKR
With a $4K budget, I’d go with a Seekins HAVAK Element with a Maven RS1.2. Should put the total weight around 7 lbs, no sling.

With the Maven and Seekins warranties, you could take a hard fall, drop you setup off the mountain, or run it over (by accident) with your truck, and you will be taken care of by those companies. Also, Leupold, Vortex, and a few others.

For the ultimate budget-lightweight… Kimber Hunter (Montana if you can find one) in 270 Win or 280AI, and a Leupold 2.5-8.

>>>——JAKE——>

schmalzy

WKR
The ram I took this year was with a Tikka T3 in 6.5 CM. Trijicon Ceredo 2.5-15x in Hawkins Hybrid rings.

The rifle was $629 with a $75 rebate last year on Black Friday. Scope was ~$1,000 and rings around $100. It was a factory stock, but I did put on a Victor cheek riser and vertical grip (combined cost of ~$70).

That would leave you with $2,250 to burn through a pile of ammo get reeeally familiar and proficient with that rifle.

This would be my vote. Sub out a kimber Montana/MA if you want crf and shave a few oz.

I carried a 30-06 Montana with 2.5-15x42 credo and was very pleased. All in was a touch over 7 pounds if I remember right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@B_Reynolds_AK has a lot of relevant experience
@USMCret I’ve owned & killed sheep with a Kimber Adirondack, Barrett Fieldcraft and a custom Defiance/HNT 26. All were chambered in 6.5 CM. Out of all of those, I’d say the Fieldcraft is the most ideal sheep rifle. 6.9 lbs scoped with a NXS 2.5-10 and loaded.

The Kimber is lighter, but less shootable due to ergonomics & extremely light weight. 6 lbs scoped with a Leupold when I had it.

The Custom is better at true long range, but only one of my 7 sheep have been past 500 yards. 8 lbs scoped with a NXS 2.5-10 or 8.5 with a RS 1.2.

If I was you, I’d either look for a Fieldcraft for a one stop solution, or go with what @mxgsfmdpx and others have suggested, build off of a Tikka & put it in a Rokstok for the most shootable and reliable gun you could own, at any price. Though it will be heavier than a Fieldcraft by about a pound or so.