Rifle advice for learning long range

Kurts86

WKR
Taking a class a good way to get up to speed. Picking a class is more difficult.

The reality is there are probably only a few dozen long range schools and full time professional instructors with a heavy bias towards the western half of the country. They are more side hustle and private range hosted courses out there but judging them is hard. The reality is most of the time you have to travel, wait or settle for a local-ish class with compromises.

There is no professional licensure or trade organization like a nurse, a barber or a hunting guide so you have to do some serious due diligence on a shooting instructor or school before you pick one. There is a lot of reputation/chest pounding/marketing/social media involved with the entire firearm training industry that is murky and painful to cut through.

Something like an Sig school is probably overall at least average but I would be a little concerned that they teach heavily skewed towards their equipment and use their terminology versus a more neutral language or equipment setup. Like is it a how to shoot an sig rifle/optic/ammo/ballistic solver or is it applicable to other platforms. With Sig you aren’t worried about a single instructors creditials as a tier 1 door kicker or a national level competition shooter but rather are you buying into an infomercial/timeshare sales pitch.

If you are taking a PRS class just be aware you are going to be learning to shoot a 20 lb 6mm gamer gun off a 5 lb game changer bag sitting on a cattle gate. You will learn less recoil management than with a hunting rifle but you will be able to shoot smaller things with less practice. There are a lot of different long range shooting applications and classes will focus on those. PRS is different from hunt which is different than LARPing in the gear used and demands. Good fundamentals will carry over regardless but certain disciplines emphasize different skills.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Again I can't speak to the S2H stuff, S2H is a marketing company. That's clearly their goal, and I would never take a rifle/hunting course from a marketing company.

Really?

I can speak to the S2H ‘stuff’. What questions do you have?

Megalodon

Lil-Rokslider
No questions from me. I can see what they are/do, have given the podcast a few chances. I said my piece... they are clearly a marketing company first and foremost. Wouldn't even be on my list for a rifle class.

Hope you had a good time and enjoy your cool kids club badge!

No questions from me. I can see what they are/do, have given the podcast a few chances. I said my piece... they are clearly a marketing company first and foremost. Wouldn't even be on my list for a rifle class.

The class isn't taught by Jake and Ryan.

Macintosh

WKR
Op, Im in New England, where are you located? Rifles Only would be a great choice for a course, Im aquainted with one of the folks in NH and will say my impression is very good both from an experience and skill perspective, as well as from an instructional perspective and “doing it right the first time”. I would say going to the range and finding a new friend to show you is almost certainly NOT the way I would do it, you’d have to be exceptionally lucky to have that work out well. If taking a course is in the cards, give rifles only a call and take one course, then reevaluate.

As far as rifle, that one will work but if starting from scratch Id probably choose a different rifle if possible to have a bit more weight and options. In new england your ability to shoot at range is limited to a very few ranges, there really isnt anywhere that most of us have access to that its possible to shoot more than a couple hundred yards, that a light rifle would be helpful for. Id probably look at a more standard platform with more aftermarket parts available. If you arent a handloader Id look at a 6creedmore, a 6.5creedmore, or a 223 with a fast twist. If you handload that opens other options. But a 6cm would be my personal choice for the purpose…its basically a 243 thats optimized for longer range with off the shelf ammo. I would avoid anything with more recoil like the plague, you dont need it and after putting 100 rounds a day thru it you’ll appreciate it even if recoil doesnt particularly bother you.

And save your pennies for a scope, thats what will make the most difference.

Reactions: NSI

Shraggs

WKR

Kinda strong opinion and judgement without really knowing what you’re talking about…

Maybe folks that have shot it and others in the past will chime in for op.

Nothing against that course, but Imperial, Nebraska is a 26+ hour drive one-way from NE (New England). OP is in NH.
Well if I wasn't a goofy looking dumbass who doesn't know that NE stands for Nebraska it would help.

OP: My bad, Rifles Only is still the best you're going to get on this half of the country probably.