Restore Old Windows or Replace

conley417

Lil-Rokslider
Not hunting season so I have to fix the things I’ve been putting off since fall

Any window experts here?

Live in a 1920s house that has original windows with the wavy glass. They don’t open properly or do a very good job sealing.

Worth trying to restore them or should I just replace with new windows?

1930's house here. Replaced mine a few years ago. Did it myself and spent under $2000.
I no longer watch the curtains blow in the Winter.

grfox92

WKR
Not hunting season so I have to fix the things I’ve been putting off since fall

Any window experts here?

Live in a 1920s house that has original windows with the wavy glass. They don’t open properly or do a very good job sealing.

Worth trying to restore them or should I just replace with new windows?
Restoring them is not the move. They will never be efficient for heating and cooling.

If you're on a budget Look into the builders line of Amsco windows. They are close to the price of in-stock home depot or lowes windows but significantly better quality.

If your not on a budget and want to invest in your house, Sierra Pacific is what I would do.

Both would be ordered through your local lumber yard.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
Put new windows in. Period.

Installing Anderson windows in this house.

Anderson / Marvin are real good.

Milgard are an okay builder grade.

IMG_2834.jpeg

IDVortex

WKR
If you have the funds, unless you want a fully custom window, I suggest a composit/fiberglass framed window. Andersen 100 series are very nice, a step above them would be Marvin Impervia. No matter what window you install, installation is the most important. Flashing and sealing is more important the. Window quailty. Can install a net 0 style window in a home, but flash and seal it improperly and you could've saved money and bought builder grade windows.

JEck

WKR
Replace them. Gerkin windows are a good economical choice. Anderson are good too

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
We had Pella replacements installed last Fall - we had a pretty light winter so it is hard to tell how big a difference it made through the winter, but the couple real cold snaps we had, I definitely could not feel the major drafts we had before. Today's E-glass, with multiple panes are so much better than the old windows from the past.

Windows are an interesting topic. I went Milgard Ultra (fiberglass) after extensive research. Overall, I have been happy. I bought them as new construction with the nail flange. Ran zip tape for the flashing. Install is almost as important as the window itself. One other quick tip. High end windows versus lower end now are some differences in performance. Not enough to justify costs in most cases. Be careful if you rely on solar heat for your home. Using fancy glass may negate that. Also be careful with vinyl and lots of sun exposure, as it may not wear well. Lots of window contractors like to Sawzall out old windows and screw replacements in with a couple tubes of caulk. Not the best way to do it.

fmyth

WKR
Replace them but keep as many of the old windows as you can salvage. Believe it or not people buy the old windows with wavy glass to use as decorations in their newer homes. Changed out all the windows in my moms pre 1900 farm house and had people begging to buy the old windows.

TaperPin

WKR
I used to work on a lot of older houses and windows can be rebuilt and custom storm windows fitted, but it’s not cheap. Old windows that function like new are pretty cool - maybe better suited to warm climates since they leak air so badly.

It takes a lot of time to prep and repaint old windows so they function properly. The trick is to use automotive paint, which slides easily against other automotive paint. If someone had more time than money, or there was something extra fancy about the windows, then they be worth saving.

There are special retrofit seals designed for old windows, but they are not quick or easy to install. Cutting or routing in groves for the seals could easily take half a day per window, if someone is set up correctly to do it efficiently.

Good quality custom storm windows might cost $500 a shot for large windows.

Rich M

WKR
We replaced out windows 5 yrs back and it's been a lot quieter in the house - double pane, hurricane proof for me.

Save the glass from the old windows - folks actually buy that stuff for restoring things like clocks, the wavey glass is no longer made.

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
My house is less than 10 years old, and I just replaced half of my Milgaurd windows with Renewal by Anderson windows. Not cheap, but noticed a difference. Can't imagine still using windows that old.

New will get you a lot better insulating effect, not to mention functional.

SCHUNTER73

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been in the window biz since1996. Happy to answer any questions you have about both options and any window brands you are interested in.. Feel free to touch base.