Rest for sitting shots with Rifle

Billinsd

WKR
Do any of you carry a tripod with a rifle rest for long range shots? Seems the most steady solution, but seems difficult to use in most elk hunting situations, unless it's in a really open area. I'm thinking a 25 inch Harris Bipod and a real short shooting sticks to hold the rear steady should be pretty good. What do you all carry for running and gunning rifle elk, with the possibility of a long, over 500 yard shot?

Thanks
Bill

cmahoney

WKR
I have a long Harris that I use sometimes. My farthest shot with it was 309, but it’s not the most stable. I put my pack between my legs last year for a 200 yard shot on a Muley and that was pretty solid. I didn’t want to pack the bipod on that trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last fall, my buddy was carrying an old model 700 7 mag that already weight a ton, and he insisted on having his long bipod attached to the front swivel sling. The whole rig had to have weighed over 9 lbs. I was like, whatever, just don't ask me to carry it. LOL

When he had a chance to take a 400 - yard shot at his bull across a canyon, did he use the bipod? Nope. He found a fork in a pinon pine and made the shot from there. LOL Afterward he was like, "I have no idea why I carried that bipod everywhere." :D

I haven't found a shot yet I could make with a bipod that I can't make off my pack, whether prone or sitting.

Just got a KDC Snipepod V2. Seems promising. Added 5 oz to total weight.

I don’t like the application of it. It doesn’t attach to the rifle well for carry. I felt I had to carry it in my pocket which makes it less convenient. The spartan would probably be more stable if you are ok carrying the bipod off the rifle.

gbflyer

WKR
I used what I think is a trigger stick tripod for a decent shot from sitting last Fall. Man that thing was nice. Also doubles as a bino rest.

Bog Pod makes some nice bipods and accessories for them these days. I can see having a gun rest head for a tripod that you're already going to carry for glassing. That's not too much extra bulk or weight.

Forest

WKR
I prefer laying with a 6-9" bipod more than anything. Certainly the most sturdy and not the heaviest. I own a couple big bipods as well as shooting sticks but now that I have a frame in my pack (mystery ranch) I can just stand it up and get just as steady of a shot. Not to mention I dont have the clumsy and fairly heavy bipod haning on the end of the gun all day..... It really is just personal preference, and above all make sure to practice in a bunch of positions with whatever you decide to go with.

dukhunt

FNG
That looks slick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve used it at the range but never on an animal yet. All my shots at animals have been prone off my pack but I would not hesitate to use this rest off my tripod if it permitted. I just prefer to shoot prone if possible.

This year I attached a camera mount to both of my trekking poles. One will be used for my bino mount and the other for a shooting V attachment. Going to give that a try instead of carrying a bipod for the rifle and a tripod for glassing.

lif

WKR
I came up with decent system last year. I carry tripod in back country for glassing. I fold the binos down while attached to tripod and use it as a rest. I felt real comfortable out to 400 yds. Everyone has there own system I suppose.

Maverick940

Banned
Last fall, my buddy was carrying an old model 700 7 mag that already weight a ton, and he insisted on having his long bipod attached to the front swivel sling. The whole rig had to have weighed over 9 lbs. I was like, whatever, just don't ask me to carry it. LOL

When he had a chance to take a 400 - yard shot at his bull across a canyon, did he use the bipod? Nope. He found a fork in a pinon pine and made the shot from there. LOL Afterward he was like, "I have no idea why I carried that bipod everywhere." :D

I haven't found a shot yet I could make with a bipod that I can't make off my pack, whether prone or sitting.

Exactly .....

When my wife is the shooter I carry a Primos Trigger Stick tripod. That thing is pretty awesome. It adjusts so effortlessly to uneven terrain. On her elk this year we were on a steep rocky ridge and with a pull of the trigger the legs instantly adjusted to all 3 being on a different rock and level on the steep grade. I don’t know why I don’t carry it more on day hikes. Heavy for pack ins though.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I us a SIRUI ET-1204 Carbon Fiber Tripod with Leica binocular stability adaptor for the front of my rifle, then if I need something to support the butt of the gun I slide my pack under it. Has worked good so far. Just remember that if you plan on shooting like this in the field you should try it out on the range first to see if it works well, or at least in your house with a few dry fires. There is nothing worse then making stuff up on the fly and having to reposition two or three times while the elk is doing his thing.

Last edited:

slowelk

WKR
I use my pack laying down if I don't have to worry about shooting over sage, with a crosstac ultralight rear bag for stock support. If I'm shooting over sage or grass I stand my pack up and use my knee for stock support. Both work well.

WKR
I've used the Harris bipod out to 650 yards on game. If a guy can get his back against a tree, rock, fence post, whatever, it really helps too. Other times I've flopped on rocks, backpacks, logs, etc. Am a fan of the Harris though.