Resources for Bushcraft

Wapiti16

FNG
What are some great resources (books, youtube channels, etc) for learning more about bushcraft & survival in the backcountry?

I think you can never be too prepared when sh%$ goes sideways on the mountain.

Shraggs

WKR
Anything by Cody Lendene , spelling... 98.6 is real good book. Not sure if les stroud has anything published. I like these guys because they focus beyond bush craft i.e. woodworking and talk or speak to survival more holistically. What are the right priorities, the mental challenges etc.

Used to love this stuff. BushcraftUSA forum is pretty good. Older Tom Brown stuff is good. Cody is awesome. You gotta figure out how far down the rabbit hole you wanna go.

I have a lot of respect for their knowledge and skills but I am not interested in going down certain roads with the bushcraft crowd. Some of them are jus playing dress up in the woods. A guy at. One class was throwing shade at my goretex jacket. He was head to toe wool and buck skin though I doubt he killed the deer Based on his lack of hunting knowledge. Those guys just wanted to play mountain man. I tend to think Ole Jim Bridger and his like would have been happy to have some nylon gear and a new fangled rifle. It wasn’t like they were insisting on using stuff from 150 years before their time. They used the best and most advanced equipment they could get.

OP
W

Wapiti16

FNG
Used to love this stuff. BushcraftUSA forum is pretty good. Older Tom Brown stuff is good. Cody is awesome. You gotta figure out how far down the rabbit hole you wanna go.

I have a lot of respect for their knowledge and skills but I am not interested in going down certain roads with the bushcraft crowd. Some of them are jus playing dress up in the woods. A guy at. One class was throwing shade at my goretex jacket. He was head to toe wool and buck skin though I doubt he killed the deer Based on his lack of hunting knowledge. Those guys just wanted to play mountain man. I tend to think Ole Jim Bridger and his like would have been happy to have some nylon gear and a new fangled rifle. It wasn’t like they were insisting on using stuff from 150 years before their time. They used the best and most advanced equipment they could get.
Yeah, I have no desire for that kind of "snooty" stuff. I'm just curious more of the survival side of things, or "handiness" on the mountain. Tips, skill sets. What to do if you get in an emergency situation until help arrives. Stuff like that. It's really just for curiosity sake. I'm all for good gear, we have nice hunting gear for a reason haha. I'm not trying to hunt in buckskin lol.

Yeah, I have no desire for that kind of "snooty" stuff. I'm just curious more of the survival side of things, or "handiness" on the mountain. Tips, skill sets. What to do if you get in an emergency situation until help arrives. Stuff like that. It's really just for curiosity sake. I'm all for good gear, we have nice hunting gear for a reason haha. I'm not trying to hunt in buckskin lol.

check that one out. Honestly it is pretty balanced and I think it targets the “hunter that wants to dabble in bushcraft“ prettty well.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been keeping on eye on some of the Randall Adventure classes. They are the ESEE knife folks. From what I can tell of their videos and the podcasts they have been on, they are not snooty bushcraft folks. They are much more real world survival and search and rescue focused, they have a couple of bushcraft classes too. That just doesn’t seem to be their only focus.

I’ll just add, I know you asked more about books or websites, etc. but if you can attend a real world class, you may learn more in a few minutes of in-person instruction and actual practice than you do in years of reading.

Wrench

WKR
Knowing how to do stuff is great....but Knowing exactly when you need to activate the "I know I'm screwed so now what" button is paramount.

Having spent a few unplanned nights in the woods I'll say that the first time, I pushed it too far and got started way too late. I was tired, scared and soaked.....after that, setting a limit and knowing when to make camp made my misery much more fun.

You will have the talk asking yourself why you are willing to give up everyone you love for what you love......be ready to defeat yourself, or tell yourself it's because you are who you are....so watch this.

That's my advice. Probably more in the psychology than bushcraft....but very important.