Reset button on an 03 Springfield bolt.

LRI_Chad

FNG
The basic story is the handle was repositioned in a previous life, and it didn't go well for someone. I was asked to try and "unmurder" it.

1674484029895.png

Step One: Removing the cancer caused by a wire feed welder:

1674484073940.png

1674484121417.png

Next, a quick zap to set the position and check alignment:

1674484172907.png

With the handle "stuck" now I work on the root and fill passes:

1674484219607.png

1674484235596.png

Welding is all done, so now it's time to clean things up:

1674484280579.png

Almost 20 years ago I borrowed a friend's wire EDM and altered a Hardinge collet by cutting raceways in it like a receiver has. It has proven itself to be a valueable tool. Here I'm using that collet to hold onto the bulk of the bolt body to keep from having a whole bunch of unsupported material hanging off in space. Using the rotatry is perfect for a job like this because it gives me unrestriced access to every side of the part that I need to work on.

With the hard part over, now it's time to blend and polish.

1674484521553.png

Final finish before coating:

1674484599628.png

One more kept out of the grave:

1674484620243.png

Thanks for lookin'

C.
LRI

Chad,
I know alot of times this fix it work is a drag for a high volume shop.
But I want you to know guys like me really appreciate it.
You mite of saved something that really means something to someone.

Chad,
I know alot of times this fix it work is a drag for a high volume shop.
But I want you to know guys like me really appreciate it.
You mite of saved something that really means something to someone.

The staff I have are all rock stars in my eyes, as they've gotten quite good at what they do here. It's nice because it allows me to take on jobs like this. Something I've always had a soft spot for because repairs like this are typically avoided like the bubonic plague by most shops.

Appreciate the kind words.

Edit:

You remind me of something from a long time ago. A gent had a 40x in his family for several years/decades. An attempt had been made to blueprint it, and it didn't go well. The timing was off when chasing the thread and made a mess of things. Typically, that is a one-way street, and it goes into the garbage can. Rolling the dice, I turned a stick of heat-treated Chromoly to 1-3/16 and threaded it to a 28-pitch.

From there, I set it up and ID bored/threaded the receiver to the same thread size. I warmed it up along the face with an induction coil and used low-temperature solder to "glue" the two pieces together. As an added measure of paranoia, I poked a hole along the seam and stuffed a brass pin so that it'd also have a mechanical lock. -ensuring the plug never backed out of the receiver on a barrel removal. That all went well, and I finished it by restoring the factory 1-1/16_16 threads. I'd be reluctant to do this on a magnum caliber, but the gun was chambered in something relatively small. It worked, and I could see the smile over the phone when I talked to him afterward.

I'll take being lucky over being "good" any day. lol.

Last edited:
Back