Reputable Elk Processor in Meeker CO?

Magua

FNG
Howdy,

Ive always done my own processing but this year for one reason or another I wont be able to. Does anyone know of a good processor out by meeker? H&H was recommended to me but when i checked their online reviews it made me nervous.... consistently reported that they gave back less meat than what was dropped off.

thanks in advance

baldhiker

FNG
I have used them on several occasions and haven't noticed anything peculiar. Not many other options around Meeker anymore.

Guided down there for a while, H&H is the best in the area. Mountain Meat Packing is the other good one in Craig.

+1 on Mountain meat packing in Craig!

Used them twice, both occasions my Elk was completely processed, vacuum packed, flash frozen and in my truck within 24 hours.

During the season, they have a third shift processing crew, that keeps things moving along.

JakeSCH

WKR
+1 on Mountain meat packing in Craig!

Used them twice, both occasions my Elk was completely processed, vacuum packed, flash frozen and in my truck within 24 hours.

During the season, they have a third shift processing crew, that keeps things moving along.

+2

We took my buddies cow elk there in 2020, very impressed with their speed and quality.

oldillini

Lil-Rokslider
Hunted in that area with an outfitter. They have always used Purkey Packing. Two of my elk went through their plant and everything went well. I normally just do the basic processing. Never really asked for anything special. Both times they turned everything around within <24 hours so that I could hit the road for the 20+ hour trip home.

RGARNER

Lil-Rokslider
All of the butchers in Craig have significantly raised prices this year. Last year prices were $325 to $350 for standard processing for elk, this year it is average $450 for the same standard cut. This probably wont deter everyone but hopefully it gives a heads up to hunters that may have assumed that the pricing was the same as last year. I will take my meat home and do it myself this year.

OP
Magua

Magua

FNG
thanks all for the tip,

for whoever is interested, I spoke with H&H today and they sounded fair. 24 hour turn around and about $350 for a standard job. they do italian sausage and bacon / burger grind for a little extra.

RGARNER

Lil-Rokslider
thanks all for the tip,

for whoever is interested, I spoke with H&H today and they sounded fair. 24 hour turn around and about $350 for a standard job. they do italian sausage and bacon / burger grind for a little extra.
Thanks for the info. Hopefully they gain some business for keeping their pricing fair.

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
H&H's jalapeno bacon burger is the bomb. Best burger I have ever had. It is a must try.

Online reviews that suggest poor butchering yield are often the result of unreasonable expectations.
A google search for "Butcher kept meat Pennsylvania" brings up an independent academic report that indicates that a steer carcass weighs about 60% of live weight, and then boneless meat is a maximum of 55-60% of carcass weight. That's about Live weight x 1/3 = meat in the freezer. Toss in a shot-damaged front shoulder or two, untrimmed ribs and neck, and not keeping organ meat, and the yield goes down.

Blackstorm

Lil-Rokslider
H&H has done a lot of animals for our group and have always been fair and answered all questions for both elk and deer we took there

specneeds

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve used Purkey more than a dozen times & never had a bad experience outside of a few long waits at peak pick up time. They make great breakfast sausage out of a decent deer.