Reptiles/insects in northern New Mexico

Wan2gobak

FNG
First off, I apologize if there is already​ a thread on this that I didn't find. I am elk hunting in North NM (unit 50) this September and wondering what dangerous critters I need to be prepared for and how to prepare. I am from Michigan and there is nothing poisonous here so I am clueless when it comes to this. It looks like there are a ton of different snakes including 8 or so that are poisonous. I haven't started reading about insects yet, I really don't want to because I hate spiders with a passion, and am afraid I'll discover there are some monster spiders there too! Any tips and tricks to keep snakes away from the tent or advice on avoiding them would be greatly appreciated.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm not even sure there are 8 types of poisonous snakes in the entire country, let alone NM. Below 8k feet you might run into a rattlesnake or two, but I wouldn't expect to find much of anything else. Maybe some scorpions and a few spiders.

lilharcher

Lil-Rokslider
Nothing to worry about.......but if you are hung up mentally on it, you will probably run into something that no one else will. I too am hunting Northern NM (52) and will not think twice about any critters. Good luck!

Btaylor

WKR
I'm not even sure there are 8 types of poisonous snakes in the entire country, let alone NM. Below 8k feet you might run into a rattlesnake or two, but I wouldn't expect to find much of anything else. Maybe some scorpions and a few spiders.

There are at least 8 in the US but like you mentioned most won't be in NM and probably none above 8k. Only way to avoid bugs and snakes is to stay home and that is just not an option.

OP
W

Wan2gobak

FNG
I don't know where I read about the "8 poisonous snakes" maybe it said 8 kinds of rattlesnakes, idk. Anyway, I'm not all that hung up on it, just looking for the common sense things that people who don't live near them never think about. Not paranoid, but want to be smart about it. Gaiters are one of those things. Thanks for all the replies :)

OP
W

Wan2gobak

FNG
Nothing to worry about.......but if you are hung up mentally on it, you will probably run into something that no one else will. I too am hunting Northern NM (52) and will not think twice about any critters. Good luck!

Good luck to you as well!!

There are two venomous snakes that inhabit New Mexico: the rattlesnake and the coral snake. The United States has about 20 species of venomous snakes, which include 16 species of rattlesnakes, two species of coral snakes, one species of cottonmouth (or water moccasin), and one species of copperhead.

Rob in VT

FNG
I have hunted the Sangre de Cristo mountains of southern Colorado (Unit 83) for the past 12 years and have never seen a snake. We are usually at 9,000'. Just be smart and alert. I try to avoid stepping over logs unless I can see the ground on the other side. Avoid putting your hands in rocky cracks if you are climbing. You shouldn't have any issues.

Btaylor

WKR
There are two venomous snakes that inhabit New Mexico: the rattlesnake and the coral snake. The United States has about 20 species of venomous snakes, which include 16 species of rattlesnakes, two species of coral snakes, one species of cottonmouth (or water moccasin), and one species of copperhead.

I knew we had 6 here and knew of a couple other rattlers we don't have. Did not know there are 2 species of coral snakes or the total number of rattlers.

You won't have any problems with critters other than pack rats. We have lots of those and they will climb into your engine compartment and chew stuff up. Pop the hood whenever you think of it and look for nests. They set up shop quick. You won't see snakes that far north that time of year and if you do it would most likely be a bull snake. We have lots of those and they aren't aggressive or venomous. They are a lot brighter than rattlesnakes. Two main bugs to look out for are stink bugs and black widows. We have lots of both. The BWs are reclusive and the stink bugs are gross but that's it. All in all NM is a very easy place to be. Weather is generally mild and vegitation is generally sparse enough to navigate easy. Have fun, good luck. Get off the roads!!

OP
W

Wan2gobak

FNG
You won't have any problems with critters other than pack rats. We have lots of those and they will climb into your engine compartment and chew stuff up. Pop the hood whenever you think of it and look for nests. They set up shop quick. You won't see snakes that far north that time of year and if you do it would most likely be a bull snake. We have lots of those and they aren't aggressive or venomous. They are a lot brighter than rattlesnakes. Two main bugs to look out for are stink bugs and black widows. We have lots of both. The BWs are reclusive and the stink bugs are gross but that's it. All in all NM is a very easy place to be. Weather is generally mild and vegitation is generally sparse enough to navigate easy. Have fun, good luck. Get off the roads!!

Pack rats, lol thanks for the heads up! I appreciate, it and can't wait to get out there and way, way off the roads!! Black widows though.....yuck. I can do without seeing one of those, I'll take the snakes over them any time!

Winner for using venomous, not poisonous!!!
But I digress.
You'll find the mountains of Northern New Mexico not entirely unlike the woods of northern Michigan: Aspen, Fir, spruce, many familiar plants underneath. Red Squirrels harassing you wherever you go.
Nobody's mentioned Yellow jackets yet. If you get an animal on the ground and the conditions are right, you can be heavily visited by those little bastards. My only incident with a venomous critter hunting was getting stung by one of them when I picked up a piece of meat to rotate it and cool it. It was underneath and it let me know. Swollen hands don't work nearly as well when you're butchering. I've never seen more than when I hunted in the high Pecos a few years ago.
For all the stumbling around I've done all over the southwest (all elevations of NM, AZ, TX) the past 13 + years, I've only ever encountered 6 venomous snakes. The last one I encountered was a black-tailed rattler on the west flank of the Jemez. It was early morning and cool. It was coiled up at the base of a tree in the vegetation and never moved. September at high elevation that far north and ectotherms are going to be a bit sluggish except for the very middle of the day.
Pack rats will wreak havoc with your gear. I was sleeping out last January and had one chew my boot laces while I slept within arm's reach of them. They're more prevalent lower down, but can be up high. If you see a pile of sticks, cow patties, and cactus debris piled under a tree, against a rock, or bush, you're in pack rat country. If you happen to get above treeline, marmots will mess with your gear also. Good luck, enjoy it.

Roy68

WKR
You could always lay a rope around your tent. Snakes won't cross a rope. Learned that from the John Wayne movie; True Grit.

Pound a chlorine tablet into powder and sprinkle it under your vehicle...keeps all the critters away. I do the same under my tent. That rope trick sounds fictional.

Roy68

WKR
.... That rope trick sounds fictional.

If it happened in movie it must be true, especially a John Wayne movie:D

I've hunted South Central Colorado 76 & 80 many times and never ran into a snake above 9K. Thats as close to NM as I've hunted. Spiders are a PITA. I've been bitten by several with various reactions. 7 years ago while working on a piece of equipment in my shop a big brown recluse went up my jeans and bit me on my inner thigh. I couldn't walk for 3 days, and have a heck of a scar as a reminder.

For rodents take a couple of big mouse / rat traps. They weigh nothing, and work.

IChaseCoues

Lil-Rokslider
Unit 50 is a lot of high desert sage country with a few hills/mountains and mesas in it and a lot of canyons.
Rattlers could be out in the flats and canyons but once you head up hill there should be fewer to think about. Just watch your step and for sure ahead of you if crawling. There can be elk scattered in the sage but that time of year most of them will be in the hills out of the heat. If going floorless I'd recommend a nest or bug bivy to keep the mosquitos and other biting insects away from the skin.

September can be warm in that area but a cold snap isn't impossible so pack for everything and take what the forecast conditions dictate in your pack. In a week it can go from 80's to snow and back up here in September.

OP
W

Wan2gobak

FNG
Unit 50 is a lot of high desert sage country with a few hills/mountains and mesas in it and a lot of canyons.
Rattlers could be out in the flats and canyons but once you head up hill there should be fewer to think about. Just watch your step and for sure ahead of you if crawling. There can be elk scattered in the sage but that time of year most of them will be in the hills out of the heat. If going floorless I'd recommend a nest or bug bivy to keep the mosquitos and other biting insects away from the skin.

September can be warm in that area but a cold snap isn't impossible so pack for everything and take what the forecast conditions dictate in your pack. In a week it can go from 80's to snow and back up here in September.

Thank you, I appreciate all the extra insight. I can't wait to see it there :)

OP
W

Wan2gobak

FNG
If it happened in movie it must be true, especially a John Wayne movie:D

I've hunted South Central Colorado 76 & 80 many times and never ran into a snake above 9K. Thats as close to NM as I've hunted. Spiders are a PITA. I've been bitten by several with various reactions. 7 years ago while working on a piece of equipment in my shop a big brown recluse went up my jeans and bit me on my inner thigh. I couldn't walk for 3 days, and have a heck of a scar as a reminder.

For rodents take a couple of big mouse / rat traps. They weigh nothing, and work.

Thanks for the info. I really will be praying for no spider bites :-( Sorry you've encountered so many!