Removing sheaths after years in the freezer

shader112

WKR
I have a skull that had been in my freezer for 3 years. Had intended on doing a shoulder mount, but after seeing prices decided to just to a euro, but never got around to doing it. This spring I dropped it off with some other stuff to a local guy with beatles. He just contacted me and said my other stuff is done, but he is having issues getting the sheaths off since they are basically freeze dried.

At the time I killed it, I was ignorant and didn't realize the sheaths had to be taken off, let alone ASAP after the kill.

Any tips for getting these things off now?

Thanks!

TaperPin

WKR
I’ve never taken the horns off, or heard they have to be taken off right away. . . Hmm. . .

OP
S

shader112

WKR
I’ve never taken the horns off, or heard they have to be taken off right away. . . Hmm. . .
Interesting, I heard there is some flesh underneath the sheaths that needs to be removed otherwise they can rot/stink. You haven't had any issues with smell? Did you boil or do beatles?

TaperPin

WKR
Interesting, I heard there is some flesh underneath the sheaths that needs to be removed otherwise they can rot/stink. You haven't had any issues with smell? Did you boil or do beatles?
It might be a beatle thing - boiled skulls soften and release anything that’s dried on. It just caught me off guard since I’ve never heard that. Everything on an antelope stinks, so it wouldn’t surprise me. Lol

There is hide and flesh on the bone cores beneath the horn sheath. It will rot and smell terrible if not removed. With such an old skull you could try to put it in a black plastic bag with a little water and let it sit in the sun for a few days to a week. Hopefully that will rehydrate it enough for it to rot a little and slip the horns off. Maybe soak it in water for a few days to rehydrate it before putting in the bag.

Alternatively, you could soak it for couple days to rehydrate it and then do a very low heat simmer until the sheaths twist off.

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
I would low heat simmer the skull in a couple inches of plain water (keep the horns slightly out of the water), and cover the pot with aluminum foil to contain the steam (unless your pot is tall enough to use a cover). After 45 minutes, take the skull out and try to wiggle the horns off. If no go, give it another 20 minutes over and over until they come off. The steam under the foil is your friend.

Once you have the horns off, set them on a shelf in garage or shed for a good spell to let them dry out. They will stink for a while. After they’re all dried out, slide them back on the skull.