Removing inserts with drill bit, safe arrows to use still?

Ace1204

Lil-Rokslider
So I had a set of arrows built by a reputable local bow shop last year and I’m now wanting to change my insert weight. The inserts were superglued in and I removed them by using the drill bit method of sliding in a drill bit and flinging the arrow until the insert popped out. These are 75 grain Easton half outs. I noticed a few of the arrows had twisted carbon shavings on the exit opening of where the insert was.
1. Should I consider these arrows compromised and unsafe to use now?
2. Should I cut the end of the arrow down a half inch on them all to be safe? (I have some wiggle room in arrow length)

Attachments

• IMG_6722.jpeg
    IMG_6722.jpeg
    246.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6723.jpeg
    IMG_6723.jpeg
    233.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6721.jpeg
    IMG_6721.jpeg
    194.2 KB · Views: 34

Ehunter56

FNG
Should be safe, but in the future, I would screw in a field point, heat it slowly with a torch, then gently pull the insert out with the field point. It will start to wisp smoke when it's ready to pull out. Heat will reverse cyano glues with no arrow damage. If in doubt, just take the 1/2 inch off and feel better.

Should be fine. You could use a squaring tool and see if it cleans it up or just cut a little bit off. I never use any kind of epoxy or superglue. Always a low temp hot melt.

So I had a set of arrows built by a reputable local bow shop last year and I’m now wanting to change my insert weight. The inserts were superglued in and I removed them by using the drill bit method of sliding in a drill bit and flinging the arrow until the insert popped out. These are 75 grain Easton half outs. I noticed a few of the arrows had twisted carbon shavings on the exit opening of where the insert was.
1. Should I consider these arrows compromised and unsafe to use now?
2. Should I cut the end of the arrow down a half inch on them all to be safe? (I have some wiggle room in arrow length)
I salvaged a dozen arrows this way recently and have been shooting them in practice for a month now. Not a single issue except when I blow the shot and destroy them on a cinder block wall.

Tilzbow

WKR
That little, curly fiber is likely from the front 1/16” of the arrow and just came loose when the insert was removed, so it’s likely only the front 1/16” of the arrow is weakened. When you install the new insert that area will be strengthened so you should be good to go.