Remington UML or CVA Paramount

Hey guys,

So I’ve been doing a lot of reading about the CVA paramount, and I’m quite interested in the 45 caliber offering. Currently I own a Remington ultimate muzzleloader that has not been shot yet, but I have read a few things that make me wonder if I purchased the wrong muzzleloader. I know that if I keep the remington the first thing I need to do is replace the breech plug with the arrowhead plug, but I’m considering selling it as is and getting the CVA paramount HTR. What do y’all think?

ENCORE

WKR
Here's another option............ convert your RUM to a custom 45cal. You already have the best action for the conversion and you can use the same stock.
I'd suggest LR Customs or Arrowhead for the conversion.
The conversion will shoot more accurately than the person pulling the trigger.
You would end up with both a SML and substitute rifle.

OP
AirborneA$$hole
Here's another option............ convert your RUM to a custom 45cal. You already have the best action for the conversion and you can use the same stock.
I'd suggest LR Customs or Arrowhead for the conversion.
The conversion will shoot more accurately than the person pulling the trigger.
You would end up with both a SML and substitute rifle.
You know, I never thought about that. That actually sounds like a pretty decent option. My next question is what would go into that? I have never tinkering with swapping barrels or anything like that.

ENCORE

WKR
You know, I never thought about that. That actually sounds like a pretty decent option. My next question is what would go into that? I have never tinkering with swapping barrels or anything like that.
Let one of the builders convert it. Either of those I mentioned can do it for you. There's also a couple others, Bush and Hankins.
Again, those conversions are INSANELY accurate.

BBob

WKR
I have the ULM but I worry about the primers disappearing from existence
You can always save your Rem primer modules and put new primers in them. If/when one leaks throw it away. When you run out of them altogether there's always the Hankins and Arrowhead conversions for you which take Std Large Rifle Primers just like the Rem.

OP
AirborneA$$hole
Let one of the builders convert it. Either of those I mentioned can do it for you. There's also a couple others, Bush and Hankins.
Again, those conversions are INSANELY accurate.
I was just looking at arrowhead and the preferred barrels are between 700 and $900. Considering that I spent over $1200 on the gun and the barrel plus labor would be over $1000, I think I would rather just avoid the hassle and extra expense, sell the remington, and buy the CVA paramount. I mean, I want to increase the range that I would be able to shoot, but people are accurately shooting 400 and 500 yards with the Paramount as is and that’s a $1000 gun. I wouldn’t be shooting much farther than that anyway, so I don’t really find it feasible to spend another thousand dollars to do that when I could essentially spend nothing more, and do the same thing. I appreciate the idea and your input though. I just don’t think it’s feasible in my situation.

ENCORE

WKR
I was just looking at arrowhead and the preferred barrels are between 700 and $900. Considering that I spent over $1200 on the gun and the barrel plus labor would be over $1000, I think I would rather just avoid the hassle and extra expense, sell the remington, and buy the CVA paramount. I mean, I want to increase the range that I would be able to shoot, but people are accurately shooting 400 and 500 yards with the Paramount as is and that’s a $1000 gun. I wouldn’t be shooting much farther than that anyway, so I don’t really find it feasible to spend another thousand dollars to do that when I could essentially spend nothing more, and do the same thing. I appreciate the idea and your input though. I just don’t think it’s feasible in my situation.
Long range is expensive. The further you shoot, the further you want to shoot. I can't wait for spring and another match to 1,000yds. ;)
Good luck with your decision. When you start shooting, post a couple target photos.

OP
AirborneA$$hole
Long range is expensive. The further you shoot, the further you want to shoot. I can't wait for spring and another match to 1,000yds. ;)
Good luck with your decision. When you start shooting, post a couple target photos.
Lol I’m starting to see that. Thanks again for all your advice, I appreciate it. And yes, I definitely will!

88mustang

FNG
I have both Paramount Pro 45 cal with Anarchy muzzle brake with Arrowhead ignition system! With Arrowhead 300gr xld bullet bullet to bore!! I love my Paramount but the blackhorn 209 powder is so hard to find! The Paramount with blackhorn is 209 powder is easy to clean! I have left my Paramount loaded all season with no problem! But the only thing about the smokeless there is all most no cleaning the barrel! But to get started the Paramount is not bad idea! I love mine!

I own the original CVA Paramount .45 cal. I ordered it directly from Arrowhead with the upgraded ignition system. Very impressed with the setup personally... In my home state we can use scopes, I have a vortex viper HST on it with a custom cut turret from Kenton industries. I have shot this gun accurately out to 325 yards. I don't think you can go wrong with either the Remington or the CVA, but if I had to do it again I would 100% work with Arrowhead. Great customer service from those guys and answer all questions within a day or two... good luck with it!

Puzzles

FNG
I have the ULM but I worry about the primers disappearing from existence
Post-bankruptcy, Remington has the 700UML and primers in the current catalog 2023. The primers are currently available at Midway USA today. I've also spotted new production 700UML's listed for sale on several sites, so the new management has decided to continue the production of the Remington 700UML.

Spent priming modules can be reused by simply using a primer de-caping tool to expel the used primer from the module. Clean the primer pocket, then insert a new large rifle magnum primer by the use of a priming tool. Both tools are commonly used in reloading center fire ammo. You should be able to re-prime a module somewhere between 20 to 30 times before the pocket fails.

You can also fabricate new ignition modules by cutting down Winchester 308 brass and priming with Remington 9 1/2 M primers. Thus, you should never have to worry about them going out of existence.

Puzzles

FNG
Hey guys,

So I’ve been doing a lot of reading about the CVA paramount, and I’m quite interested in the 45 caliber offering. Currently I own a Remington ultimate muzzleloader that has not been shot yet, but I have read a few things that make me wonder if I purchased the wrong muzzleloader. I know that if I keep the remington the first thing I need to do is replace the breech plug with the arrowhead plug, but I’m considering selling it as is and getting the CVA paramount HTR. What do y’all think?
Something more to think about. If you plan on hunting with the rifle. Many states require a .50 or larger bore for big game hunting, so check the hunting regulation for the states you plan to hunt in first.

ENCORE

WKR
........................... You should be able to re-prime a module somewhere between 20 to 30 times before the pocket fails.....
Before anyone counts on that many re-primes, check each and every brass case interior for gas leaks, AFTER EACH TIME ITS FIRED. If the brass is leaking, it will streak on the inside. Do not reuse those pieces of brass, as sooner or later it will gas cut the nipple on the breech plug.

Every fired case should look like its a 'once fired' case. It it streaks on the inside, its leaking gas.

100_4791b.jpg

Gas cut breech plug............

Gas cut Ultimate breech plug.jpg

Now, how to fix the problem permanently............

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
CVA just released the Paramount Pro V2. Hopefully we'll see a Rokslide review in the near future

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Puzzles

FNG
Before anyone counts on that many re-primes, check each and every brass case interior for gas leaks, AFTER EACH TIME ITS FIRED. If the brass is leaking, it will streak on the inside. Do not reuse those pieces of brass, as sooner or later it will gas cut the nipple on the breech plug.

Every fired case should look like its a 'once fired' case. It it streaks on the inside, its leaking gas.

View attachment 512292

Gas cut breech plug............

View attachment 512293

Now, how to fix the problem permanently............

Just a side note, I purchased my Rem 700UML back in 2015 and I'm still using some the original modules from bag of ignition modules that came with the rifle. I would say they are in the in the 20 to 30 range now, primer pocket enlargement seems to be my experienced failure point. I've used pelletized 777 almost exclusively, tried BH209 and found no advantage in my case. Plus, when in the field I like the convenience of pelletized powder over granular. Seems like those using Blackhorn 209 powder are eventually expiring the gas leak issues. Could be why I have not experience it.

Just my option on this topic; that the gas leak issues may also be an indication of head spacing with some of the rifles. As Remington approached bankruptcy quality went in the dumpster. We are talking a multiple year decline in quality of product. Cerberus Capital Management ran Remington into the ground while striping every dollar they could out of it.

ENCORE

WKR
....................... Just my option on this topic; that the gas leak issues may also be an indication of head spacing with some of the rifles. As Remington approached bankruptcy quality went in the dumpster. We are talking a multiple year decline in quality of product. Cerberus Capital Management ran Remington into the ground while striping every dollar they could out of it.
Head spacing is difficult at best. Those pieces of brass can have .020" difference in head thickness. Its totally impossible to have perfect head space with brass like that. Even Starline brass for the UF has .005" differences, which again makes perfect head space impossible.
Check your brass after EVERY fire. If it doesn't look like the once fired in the photo, throw them out.
Remington had head space issues with the first rifle they sold.

I've shot many thousands of rounds through an Ultimate, the BP Xpress. I was personal friends with Ken Johnston, who invented the entire ignition system, then sold rights to Remington. Ken's been gone a year now. Miss the guy.

Best ignition system on the market, bar none, is the Arrowhead upgrade.

EVO6

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone using a ULM .50 know your velocities with BH209 and a 300 grain class bullet?