Remington m700 alpha

FCCDerek

FNG
Like every other Remington trigger.

All Remington 700 compatible triggers have the same failings- there are no exceptions. It is an inherent design of the trigger system.
It seems odd that they're as popular as theyve been for the past few decades if there is a flaw like you've mentioned. I've used them for most of my life in the mountains of North Idaho and never had any issues. I tend to be a bit of stickler for keeping the action and trigger as clean as possible and free from contaminants. I've hunted in some pretty adverse weather from about 20 below 0 to the mid 70's depending on the time of the year. I'm not saying there isn't a design fault there, but that it might be more pronounced from one manufacturer to another and can be exacerbated by the owner and how well they shield their weapon from as much debris intrusion as possible. I have either Triggertech or Timney in my Rem 700 clone rifles. I also have a Tikka with a Timney in it and I will admit that its my favorite trigger on any of my rifles.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
It seems odd that they're as popular as theyve been for the past few decades if there is a flaw like you've mentioned. I've used them for most of my life in the mountains of North Idaho and never had any issues. I tend to be a bit of stickler for keeping the action and trigger as clean as possible and free from contaminants.

(bolded part)

Well, you already know it’s an issue by your habits. It’s like checking zero before every hunting season or after every trip- people do so because scopes lose zero.

As for that “flaw” one can simply google it and read for days. It has been standard practice for US military snipers to carry a can of lighter fluid to flush out the trigger of the R700 based rifles for 30 years at least- the other nations that use other rifles do not do so that I’ve seen.

I've hunted in some pretty adverse weather from about 20 below 0 to the mid 70's depending on the time of the year. I'm not saying there isn't a design fault there, but that it might be more pronounced from one manufacturer to another and can be exacerbated by the owner and how well they shield their weapon from as much debris intrusion as possible.

There are generally small differences between manufacturers of R700 triggers, except for Jewel; but they all are significantly more sensitive to dust/ice/snow/debris than other triggers. As for the drop safe piece- there are no R700 triggers made that will pass one of the US mil drop tests. The Geissele two stage is by far the best, but it too will fail.

Almost every time people use R700 based rifles and try their damnedest to keep them clean and covered, about 50% have a failure of some kind. Some actions and triggers are simply way more reliable in adverse conditions.

This is a common condition of rifles that I and those I hunt with deal with for 4-6 months of the year-

F1528709-1A5A-4C61-997F-7F133A464C56.jpeg

Just carrying it
AE3B5714-7630-4D6C-9295-24FFBF7186E5.jpeg

Came out of rifle carry during a slip-
413610C4-8306-4C7A-823D-D865C28A1E35.jpeg

FCCDerek

FNG
(bolded part)

Well, you already know it’s an issue by your habits. It’s like checking zero before every hunting season or after every trip- people do so because scopes lose zero.

As for that “flaw” one can simply google it and read for days. It has been standard practice for US military snipers to carry a can of lighter fluid to flush out the trigger of the R700 based rifles for 30 years at least- the other nations that use other rifles do not do so that I’ve seen.

There are generally small differences between manufacturers of R700 triggers, except for Jewel; but they all are significantly more sensitive to dust/ice/snow/debris than other triggers. As for the drop safe piece- there are no R700 triggers made that will pass one of the US mil drop tests. The Geissele two stage is by far the best, but it too will fail.

Almost every time people use R700 based rifles and try their damnedest to keep them clean and covered, about 50% have a failure of some kind. Some actions and triggers are simply way more reliable in adverse conditions.

This is a common condition of rifles that I and those I hunt with deal with for 4-6 months of the year-

View attachment 480672

Just carrying it
View attachment 480671

Came out of rifle carry during a slip-
View attachment 480676
I never knew there was a trigger issue, I'm just a stickler for keeping all of the internal workings of my weapons clean. I don't punch the barrels out often, at least not until accuracy drops off. But as far as the action and trigger mechanisms go I have always kept them as clean as possible just out of habit. And liberal application of FP10. I like that stuff as it doesn't seem to bind in extremely cold weather. I suppose I'm glad I've been a stickler for cleanliness all these years. I have been with my non Rem 700 pattern rifles as well. Like I said before, that Tikka CTR with the Timney in it is an absolutely exquisite trigger.