Remington m700 alpha

gabenzeke

WKR
Has anyone been paying attention to the new model 700 Remington has started advertising? Seems pretty interesting. Like they took a lot of features from base model custom actions and put it into the new 700. Curious to see how they turn out.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

axeforce6

WKR
"Quality has been improved across the board to the point that the bolts of all Remington Alpha 1s can be exchanged with any other bolt of the same head size and still have the proper head spacing. The same is true with the barrels–any gunsmith can swap out the barrels by just screwing them in. The tolerances are held so tight that the Alpha One has basically become plug and play with parts. This is a drastic change from the old Remington rifles."

This should have everyone's attention. There seems to be a lot to the new action. Almost like a custom rifle. AG stock, Timney trigger, Obendorf bottom metal. Prefits should be easy to make according to the repeatability they claim.

Unckebob

WKR
If they can make a n action that is good enough for prefit barrels, it says a lot about New Remington's quality vs old Remington's poor quality.

Basically, they are only building the action and (possibly) the barrel. With the parts they chose to go with them, they wI'll probably price out to very close to my Origin build.

Sounds like a huge improvement. Honestly it has to be or it will fall flat on its face, people have moved on - tikka is the new m700 with all the aftermarket support.

gerry35

WKR
If they come in left hand one day I'm definitely intrigued. Improving the twist rates is a really good idea. A 6.8 Western or 270 Win would be very interesting to me, hope they keep the 260 Rem going too,

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
Saw the other day Joseph von Benedikt went 5/5 at 1800 yards with one of these! Pretty cool.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Sevens

WKR
Looks nice, basically sounds like they’re getting into the prefit game. Sales from all the customers clone actions must be making a dent as the action seems very different from a regular 700.

vonb

Lil-Rokslider
I believe the action was a carryover from the Dakota or Nesika days. I haven’t read anything about it being able to take shouldered prefits.

Unckebob

WKR
If the actions are available at the same price as the Origin, I will give them a shot on my next build.

wildcat33

WKR
Will be very interesting to see where they price these. Its basically the same blueprint as a nosler 21 which is 2500. Sub 2k paired with non-fudd calibers and the right twist, they may have something.

Wapiti1

WKR
That is the Nesika action. Good for them taking an updated approach.

Now they need to get rid of that trigger system.

Jeremy

Wapiti1

WKR
These come with a Timney, whats wrong with that?
It's still works on the Remington slip design with a long sear bar. Regardless of who makes it, if they stick to that design, dirt, gunk and ice will lock it up. You may never have had these issue with a Remington trigger system, but many, including myself, have and we aren't fans.

Jeremy

FCCDerek

Lil-Rokslider
It's still works on the Remington slip design with a long sear bar. Regardless of who makes it, if they stick to that design, dirt, gunk and ice will lock it up. You may never have had these issue with a Remington trigger system, but many, including myself, have and we aren't fans.

Jeremy
Most any trigger mechanism, regardless of design, can lock up if you let it get filled with dirt, ice, or other debris. While some designs are less likely than others, if you let your equipment get fouled up, and blame the equipment, you should know its not entirely the fault of the equipment.

Wapiti1

WKR
Most any trigger mechanism, regardless of design, can lock up if you let it get filled with dirt, ice, or other debris. While some designs are less likely than others, if you let your equipment get fouled up, and blame the equipment, you should know its not entirely the fault of the equipment.
I would disagree that it's the users fault and simple negligence. You don't get to control the weather or conditions and can't clean the trigger regularly on many hunts. For instance, backcountry hunts in the states, or Alaska. After hunting in rain or snow, are you going to pull your action and clean the trigger in your tent? Dust in Africa is impossible to control and keep out of the action. I have seen Rem and clone triggers fail in these conditions several times.

It is a less tolerant design. Fall forward sear designs (which most others use) are more robust due to smaller contact surfaces with the housing and higher leverage on the sear.

Jeremy

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

The difference between any Remington based trigger and triggers designed to work in adverse weather is huge. A couple of ounces of water in freezing weather totally locks up a Remington based trigger (doesn’t matter who makes it, though Geissele 2 stage is better than others), while 32 ounces most times won’t lock up a Tikka or Sako trigger for instance.

By the way, no (read- NO) Remington based trigger is truly drop safe.

Ice, snow, sand, dust, debris are all a fact of mountain hunting outside the truck. Choosing items that are measurably less reliable and unsafe to boot is not logical.

woods89

WKR
Observing the way Ted from ARC innovates, he needs to spend some time on the Remington compatible trigger problem.

Since I'm sure he has lots of free time, lol......

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Observing the way Ted from ARC innovates, he needs to spend some time on the Remington compatible trigger problem.

Since I'm sure he has lots of free time, lol......

His actions are really good and it is a shame that he doesn’t know or doesn’t understand the trigger issue. If I could get a Mousingfield or Archimedes with a Tikka trigger I would use them for about everything.

His actions are really good and it is a shame that he doesn’t know or doesn’t understand the trigger issue. If I could get a Mousingfield or Archimedes with a Tikka trigger I would use them for about everything.
Curious, why would you choose one of his with a Tikka trigger over just a regular Tikka action?