Remington 700 SS Mountain Rifle experiences and thoughts.

Welcome to the forum.

I have posted on this elsewhere so don’t want a redux of a rant. Bottom line is my experience across 3 700s in the last few years has been very mixed.

- $600 sps 223 needed a new trigger but shoots like a laser, stock was garbage. Probably have $1000 in this now before glass.
- $1000 300 win mag American wilderness rifle is a pretty good shooter with a new trigger as well. Around MOA with factory loads and might get better with some load development.
- $1200 xcr compact is a bit of a turd. Just didn’t want to group. A new trigger here as well and a trip to the smith plus a bunch of ammo to try and find something it likes. Probably have $1500 in this guy right now.

I picked up a $600 tikka in 6.5 and it has been with me on every hunt since and none of those remis spend much time out of the safe.

Based on the above and mixed success on a couple of 870s I don’t think I would buy another Remington again unless I was looking for a “project gun”.

NCmountainhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Old thread, but is there a final consensus on the accuracy of these rifles out of the box? I’m considering a Rem 700 Mountain rifle SS in 6.5 Creedmore. I’d hate to pay the now $1,100 price tag for 3 MOA accuracy. Any thoughts?

Mine have been a little butt-heavy. Nothing a McMillan edge can’t fix. All have been minute of deer out to 400 from field positions. Heat up quick, but it’s not a range gun.

Jimss

WKR
I had one in 300 Weatherby and ended up selling it. It started off with relatively tight groups when I first bought it but got to the point I couldn't hit a plate at 100 yards after a few years. I never figured out what happened?

NCmountainhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I had one in 300 Weatherby and ended up selling it. It started off with relatively tight groups when I first bought it but got to the point I couldn't hit a plate at 100 yards after a few years. I never figured out what happened?
Wow. I’m having second thoughts on the rifle now.

Jimss

WKR
If I didn’t buy a Sako I would have likely bought a tika. There were a lot of great tika reviews when I was looking

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I have one in 280 and have owned it for around 15 years. Its the LSS model. The only thing I did to it was free float the barrel and adjust the X Mark trigger down to around 3lbs. I am a handloader and have a load that shoots well under MOA with RL19. Its my go to deer rifle.

PassCreek

FNG
Old thread, but is there a final consensus on the accuracy of these rifles out of the box? I’m considering a Rem 700 Mountain rifle SS in 6.5 Creedmore. I’d hate to pay the now $1,100 price tag for 3 MOA accuracy. Any thoughts?
I have one in 280 and it's accurate for about 3 or 4 shots but after that that groups open up. I think the barrel heats up really quickly with the pencil thin barrel (it cools quickly too though). When I sight it in, I usually take another rifle and shoot a few with the Mountain SS and then shoot the other rifle until the Mountain SS cools off.

I'd describe it as a great rifle to hunt with but not necessarily for a day at the range. It carries well in the mountains where I hunt.

NCmountainhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have one in 280 and it's accurate for about 3 or 4 shots but after that that groups open up. I think the barrel heats up really quickly with the pencil thin barrel (it cools quickly too though). When I sight it in, I usually take another rifle and shoot a few with the Mountain SS and then shoot the other rifle until the Mountain SS cools off.

I'd describe it as a great rifle to hunt with but not necessarily for a day at the range. It carries well in the mountains where I hunt.
I’m really looking for a lightweight rig capable of killing deer size game out to 300 yds with confidence. I’m going to give it a try in 308. Thanks for the input- NCmountainhunter

I’m really looking for a lightweight rig capable of killing deer size game out to 300 yds with confidence. I’m going to give it a try in 308. Thanks for the input- NCmountainhunter
It will do that all day long. If you get a new one with the B&C stock, you’ll probably notice it’s a bit thick through the grip. It’s not as butt-heavy as the laminate stock version, but feels clubby.

FLS

WKR
I’ve had a 700 Mountain Rifle in . 270 for about 20 years. Older wood stocked detachable magazine version. Dream to carry and is more than accurate enough for game at reasonable ranges. It will shoot 1” , 3 shot groups with ammo it likes, and has accounted for a lot of game. Whitetail, hogs, mule deer and antelope. They’re lightweight hunting rifles, not target rifles, so have realistic expectations and realize, you may have to shoot a few loads to find what it likes.

Roadrunner1

Lil-Rokslider
Old post but I'll chime in, I have two Rem 700 Mountain rifles, one SS in 7mm-08 the other 308 win, they are both under 7lb with scope, both will shoot under 1 inch and some loads .5 inch. I just had to learn how to hold these light rifles to get them to shoot accurate .

06 SB

FNG
I have one in 7mm08 and it shoots MOA with minimal handload work up and a few factory options, just not Hornady “Precision” Hunter. I put a B&C stock and a Timney trigger on it and it’s pretty much bullet proof.

Bobaloo

FNG
Just like the title says, any thoughts or comments on these as far as quality, issues, etc.

There is a nice one in 270 in the classifieds here that I am interested in, will probably be hitting it up after my 10 post and 7 day limit are reached.

I haven't used a 700 action in years, been primarily using an X-Bolt or T3, but this Remmy checks all the boxes on what I want for this project, project meaning putting a Zeiss or Kahles on it and learning it inside out before 2020 West and East River opener's.
I had a 700 Mt. laminated SS 7-08. Great rifle but needed trigger.