Remington 700 Fires When Bolt is Closed or Safety Released

Thegman

WKR
For whatever reason (most likely culprits- dirty, trigger spring mis-adjustment, sear mis-adjustment or a combination of these) your sear isn't getting far enough back. If you’re at all mechanically inclined, it's fairly easy to pull the barreled action out of the stock take a look at what's going on mechanically to create the problem. Very likely it's very fixable and very simply fixable.

I've had this occur with aftermarket triggers as well due to a wear/defective issue, but have only seen a Walker trigger do this due to poor adjustments, not wear.

Vern400

WKR
I have one M700 trigger at 3 lb. 5,000 shots down the tube, no problem B code SN

I had one M700 varmint rifle trigger that fired a live round when I shut the bolt. E code SN. I replaced it with a 1 lb Jewell trigger. Don't do that. You will want a jewell trigger on every rifle you have. And they're hard to get right now.

Two days ago I got my hands on a trigger tech trigger set at 2 lb on a fully customized M700 deer rifle.
It was Schweet. Not a Jewell but Schweet .

Definitely don't keep the original trigger. When I rebarrel my B code deer rifle I'll do a Trigger tech.

PS I followed the instructions for adjusting the Remington trigger. I cleaned all the oil off, and set it with a gauge. And I bumped the rifle hard on the stock, on the barrel, generally beat on it to make sure it was set right. Over time, I Oil running into the trigger assembly during storage was enough to cause the failure ( firing on bolt close). You can't spray enough perfume on that to keep it from smelling like sht. Unacceptable.

Once you change the trigger and have it properly set and tested, there's no unreasonable risk. If you want a 100% guarantee of safety, don't shoot a gun, and definitely don't drive a motor vehicle.

Last edited:

B23

WKR
the sear engagement has been reduced too much by a weekend gunsmith
I'd bet a good amount of money a very large percentage of Rem 700 factory triggers that had the it goes off on bolt close or when safety is flipped off was caused by people who didn't know what they were doing and thought they had the "creep" all tuned out of their factory Rem triggers when all they really did was get the sear engagement adjusted so thin the trigger went off on its own with just the very slightest bump like closing the bolt or flicking the safety off.

Unfortunately, instead of people's poor judgement going on trial and being sued it was the manufacture, in this case Remington, that had to pay the price for others lack of knowledge. Honestly, I'm very surprised any gun manufacture has a sear engagement adjustment screw on their triggers.