Remington 700 extractor

willtim

WKR
My extractor is broken. How hard are they to replace? Special tools? Thanks

BBob

WKR
Depends on which type, riveted or the newer slip in style. The non-riveted slip in are still tricky to install without bending them, riveted takes tooling to do properly to stake the rivet. How old is it. Magnum, non-magnum? Post up pictures for more info.

OP
W

willtim

WKR
Non-magnum, short action. I don't see any rivets. But, my smith/builder said send it to him and he'll fix it.

Non-riveted was easy for me using tools found around a basic garage. I have almost zero gunsmith experience. Fixed a problem with a sticking bolt.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Has anybody here done the m16 extractor thing? I was thinking of sending the bolt for my 375HH into LRI to get that done but I’ve never seen one in person or known anybody who has one.

Wapiti1

WKR
Has anybody here done the m16 extractor thing? I was thinking of sending the bolt for my 375HH into LRI to get that done but I’ve never seen one in person or known anybody who has one.
Yes. I've installed quite a few M16 or variant and a bunch of Sako in Rem bolts. Almost all were bolt face conversions of some sort. A few were bolts where the extractor lip was damaged, and it needed help.

If you want something different, go M16 or mini-M16. It's pinned and won't become a piece of shrapnel like a Sako can. Also make sure the 'smith undercuts the lug as much as possible to help with ejection angle.

It's the way to go if you want to do a bolt face conversion, but I wouldn't ever do one if there was no reason. The original Rem extractor is truly a better design due to the fact that it locks when pressure is applied in the rearward direction. An M16 needs to be fit correctly to not slip under high stress, same with a Sako. Even then, they will let go before a factory Rem.

Jeremy

BBob

WKR
Plenty. I have no issues with the original factory and if I'm truing up one for myself I don't bother with converting unless I'm opening up the boltface. I personally in 40 years have had one riveted magnum crack at the rivet but it still functioned. I replaced it over 20 yrs ago with another factory riveted and I still have it.

LRI makes their own M-16 extractor so if they ever by chance go under you may have an orphan. If you do it get a spare. They also do a dual ejector to fix the poor ejection angle and ejection problems the M-16 sometimes brings. Ask them what they think about that for your combo. Most of the time the M-16 extractor hook can be tuned to make it work fine.

I'll second don't ever do a Sako, no need for that potential cluster. The factory or M-16 & M-16 variants are better choices.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Plenty. I have no issues with the original factory and if I'm truing up one for myself I don't bother with converting unless I'm opening up the boltface. I personally in 40 years have had one riveted magnum crack at the rivet but it still functioned. I replaced it over 20 yrs ago with another factory riveted and I still have it.

LRI makes their own M-16 extractor so if they ever by chance go under you may have an orphan. If you do it get a spare. They also do a dual ejector to fix the poor ejection angle and ejection problems the M-16 sometimes brings. Ask them what they think about that for your combo. Most of the time the M-16 extractor hook can be tuned to make it work fine.

I'll second don't ever do a Sako, no need for that potential cluster. The factory or M-16 & M-16 variants are better choices.
My friend broke his extractor and maybe the rivet trying to replace the extractor on his gun, is that something that can be fixed?

BBob

WKR
My friend broke his extractor and maybe the rivet trying to replace the extractor on his gun, is that something that can be fixed?
Most of the time yes but it depends on what damage he might have done to the bolt . If the bolt itself hasn't been damaged or damaged much a new rivet and extractor can be installed. Has the rivet hole been enlarged? If so how big is it now? Did he ding up the nose of the bolt and if so how much? Dig he crack the bolt nose? It's become sort of the norm nowadays though when someone has issues like this is to send it off and have the M-16 installed. That eliminates finding an old school gunsmith that is willing and capable of doing the work of fixing the original. Converting to an M-16 pretty much takes care of the damage someone might have done unless it's severe.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Most of the time yes but it depends on what damage he might have done to the bolt . If the bolt itself hasn't been damaged or damaged much a new rivet and extractor can be installed. Has the rivet hole been enlarged? If so how big is it now? Did he ding up the nose of the bolt and if so how much? Dig he crack the bolt nose? It's become sort of the norm nowadays though when someone has issues like this is to send it off and have the M-16 installed. That eliminates finding an old school gunsmith that is willing and capable of doing the work of fixing the original. Converting to an M-16 pretty much takes care of the damage someone might have done unless it's severe.
I’m not sure what he did but I’m thinking he likely didn’t cause much damage. For some reason the gun just wouldn’t extract bullets anymore. He used it with no issues on a moose hunt last year and put it away. When he went to sight it in for this season it just wouldn’t extract. I’m hoping that when he was messing around with it he didn’t mess it up too bad but the m16 thing is probably a good idea for him.

peaches

Lil-Rokslider
Non-rivert pops right in with a multi tool. I keep a spare with me when hunting. You CANNOT remove and reinstall one again and have it work, yes this is from personal experience. Make sure it is not backwards before snapping it in place.

M16 style will eliminate the gas handling design of the 700. I advise against it.

OP
W

willtim

WKR
Thanks everybody. My smith said it can be complicated. I'm staying with a 700 extractor but sending it to him.

gbflyer

WKR
I’ve got several R700’s and thousands of rounds over a 35 year timeframe. Being a lefty that was my go-to for many years. I have beaten the bolt open with a dead blow on more than one occasion (never said I was smart). I’ve never broken an extractor or had one fail to extract on a round that wasn’t grossly over pressure. Haven’t broken a bolt handle off either. The aftermarket extractor modifications are a solution looking for a problem.

SDHNTR

WKR
Look at the two extractor designs side by side, see which provides a more positive grip on the case head and make up your own mind. I did, and the M16 gives me confidence. To me, if you are already headed to the gunsmith already… it’s a no brainer.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’ve got all the confidence in the world in my M700 factory extractors. Never had a reason to change. Of course, my bolt handles don’t fly off, either. 🤦‍♂️

OP
W

willtim

WKR
This is a new custom rifle built on a used R700 action. Serial number showed date of manufacture in the 1980's. It was blueprinted by my smith. First shot pulled the case back but failed to "spit" it out of the action. By the sixth shot it was no longer extracting the case and I had to use a cleaning rod to push the case out. I'm using handloads well below max with Lapua brass. On exam I can't see the extractor in the boltface.

SDHNTR

WKR
This is a new custom rifle built on a used R700 action. Serial number showed date of manufacture in the 1980's. It was blueprinted by my smith. First shot pulled the case back but failed to "spit" it out of the action. By the sixth shot it was no longer extracting the case and I had to use a cleaning rod to push the case out. I'm using handloads well below max with Lapua brass. On exam I can't see the extractor in the boltface.
Sounds like a new ejector (plunger) spring might be beneficial too.