Rem 700 extraction Issue

Clarktar

WKR
Wondering if anyone has had any extraction problems with a Rem 700 action?

I have a 30-06 shooting Lapua brass with a stout load. Rounds chamber fine both. Bolt lifts up just fine after firing (bolt lift feels same if I fire the round or don't fire the round). BUT, when I try to pull the bolt back it is near impossible.

After looking at a lot of images showing various pressure signs I really don't think I am at some wild pressure. And if I was, I'd guess the bolt would be hard to lift (which is not the case).

Some googling turned up results of folks with Rem 700 actions and a problem with Primary Extraction. One result was even a person that only experienced this with Lapua brass.

Curious if anyone else has come across it.

If anyone has gunsmith recommendations who are adept at working on Rem 700s I'd be interested in hearing who they are.

I have fired about 10 rounds and just beat the holy hell out of the bolt hand to get it back. The skeletoned bolt handle is a bit compromised now. Would rather not carry a hammer with this rifle while hunting.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

i've read a lot of content from Alex Wheeler about the importance of action timing and primary extraction, not sure he'll work on a standard 700 but he would be top of my list to call about this.

by far your cheapest option is to try different brass, particularly if this rifle has functioned properly in the past.

BBob

WKR
Accu-Tig. Dan has done thousands of them. Contact him and he’ll send you specific instructions for some measurements. Once measured you send only the bolt and he’ll fix it (primary extraction).

Accu-Tig. Dan has done thousands of them. Contact him and he’ll send you specific instructions for some measurements. Once measured you send only the bolt and he’ll fix it (primary extraction).
This guy ^ is super weird. beware of dealings with him.

LRI also does primary extraction work and is way easier to deal with and similar price

wapitibob

WKR
Rem 700's have very little extraction on bolt lift, and even less if the action is trued. You're going to need to re position the bolt handle to get it fixed. I did a temp fix by using jb weld on my bolt cam but it's just a temp fix.

OP
Clarktar

Clarktar

WKR

LRI also does primary extraction work and is way easier to deal with and similar price
Thanks I'll look into the options

BBob

WKR

Accu-Tig or me??? 🤣 Dan indeed is a peculiar and cranky guy but he does know his Remington bolts. He’s probably the only one that can do the job properly with just the bolt and measurements you provide. Most everyone else will want the whole thing.

OP
Clarktar

Clarktar

WKR
Accu-Tig or me??? Dan indeed is a peculiar and cranky guy but he does know his Remington bolts. He’s probably the only one that can do the job properly with just the bolt and measurements you provide. Most everyone else will want the whole thing.
I likely don't have the feeler gauges or whatever tool is needed to take the measurements. And probably won't know what the heck he is requesting. I'm not up to snuff on my firearm component vernacular.

BBob

WKR
I likely don't have the feeler gauges or whatever tool is needed to take the measurements. And probably won't know what the heck he is requesting. I'm not up to snuff on my firearm component vernacular.
He’ll send you a pdf on how to do it. I have copies somewhere. I’ll see if I can find it to refresh my memory. If I find it I’ll post it.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

I naught feeler gauges just to take the measurement for that guy. I’d say I’d send them too you but I’m positive they cost less at a local NAPA auto parts than it would be to send them.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I had my bolt timed at accu tig, he also welded the handle on the bolt which is nice since that’s a weak spot on Remington rifles.

In the end though, I lost confidence in that tiny Remington 700 extractor and sent the whole thing to LRI to get a dual ejector m16 extractor upgrade. I’m also going to have them hack 3-4” off my barrel and re install my front sight while they have it.

In the end, I’ll have sort of a custom Remington 700 xcr2 375HH.

OP
Clarktar

Clarktar

WKR
I had my bolt timed at accu tig, he also welded the handle on the bolt which is nice since that’s a weak spot on Remington rifles.

In the end though, I lost confidence in that tiny Remington 700 extractor and sent the whole thing to LRI to get a dual ejector m16 extractor upgrade. I’m also going to have them hack 3-4” off my barrel and re install my front sight while they have it.

In the end, I’ll have sort of a custom Remington 700 xcr2 375HH.

How much is the ejector and extractor upgrade. Maybe that a good route....

OP
Clarktar

Clarktar

WKR
Lack of other explanations I suppose. Maybe it's the brass? There are differences between manufacturers for same caliber (thickness for example)....

OP
Clarktar

Clarktar

WKR
Finally dug out my bore scope. The chamber looks terrible. I'm guessing these conditions are likely responsible for my extraction issue. Probably act like scales or sand paper against the brass this "holding" the brass when I try to extract.

e10e16d4241af9a79e636e43fea7f357.jpg
cfbb5c20c4d5e8c354524c1ab37c048d.jpg

Wondering if anyone has had any extraction problems with a Rem 700 action?

I have a 30-06 shooting Lapua brass with a stout load. Rounds chamber fine both. Bolt lifts up just fine after firing (bolt lift feels same if I fire the round or don't fire the round). BUT, when I try to pull the bolt back it is near impossible.

After looking at a lot of images showing various pressure signs I really don't think I am at some wild pressure. And if I was, I'd guess the bolt would be hard to lift (which is not the case).

Trying to read pressure signs based on how your brass looks after firing is like trying to figure out if winter is going to be longer by the behavior of a groundhog. Pure speculation.

Just fine.

If factory ammo extracts just fine and your "stout load" reloads don't, you don't have an extraction issue, you have a pressure issue. Back the load off and your extraction issues will disappear.