Reloading Newbies

Booner73

FNG
First post...long time observer, cannot put into words how much this forum has helped me over the years.

Unless I missed it (welcome links)...Be nice to see a sticky for reloading newbies.

I've seen threads here and there but it would be great to see something right at the top that provides info (opinions or open conversation) on essentials and nice to have items.

For me...primarily centerfire hunting (currently 6.5 creed, 308, 270 wsm, 300 wsm, 270, 30-06, 7prc, TBD) with some lower volume pistol (9 and 10 mm).

I've read it's better to piece things together vs buying a "kit" since components don't require a bunch of upgrading and you can buy quality and needs.

I am in the PNW and have seen Three Forks Ammo in Cle Elum, WA but have no idea if that's a reputable place to visit for insight and purchasing.

Anyway, appreciate any insight and concideration for reloading virgin sticky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started reloading this last winter and learned nearly everything I needed to from that thread alone.

I started with a kit that I picked up on sale. I understood the steps to make a cartridge (remove spent primer, insert new primer, measure powder, etc.), however, I didn't know which parts of the process I would find tedious or annoying. You learn that pretty fast when you start with a basic kit. But then you only have to learn about one piece of equipment and choose what is right for you. Example, I didn't think using a balance scale would bother me, but I quickly decided to go digital after making just a few rounds because I didn't have confidence in eyeballing the scale with the same precision as a digital scale. So then I spent a little time researching digital scales and chose the one I wanted. If you have to research all of the reloading equipment without having any experience prior to buying each piece individually, I don't know how you could end up with stuff you don't end up replacing anyway.

If you have any friends that reload, maybe you could work through some rounds with there equipment to get a better feel for it and have better odds of picking stuff you like the first go round.

BKM

FNG
I got the Lee kit and if budget is a concern it’s a great place to start especially if you are not loading a large amount at one time.

OP
B

Booner73

FNG
Appreciate the link for load development and input. Love the input on scales, sounds like digital is the way to go, assuming high quality calibrated of course powder amount seems like a pretty critical component. LOL

So Lee, RCBS or Hornady press. Does it matter for single vs progressive? What I mean is....is one brand better than the other for progressive vs single. Think my volume would be low enough (for now) that single would work. Maybe anything works to push a projectile into a case? Flip a coin? Tikka vs X.... Lol

Do not want cheap but likely don't need top end. Do older models hold up better?

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got the lee turret kit. The thing I like about it is I tend to take the timing rod out of it and use it like a single stage press when I am loading rifle rounds. Occasionally I load 9mm or 10mm and for those it use it with the timing rod, so each pull of the handle performs an action and turns the turret to move the next die into place.

The thing I like least about it is the plastic piece that feeds the primers. I usually pour the primers onto a flat surface and place them individually hand into the press. I find that faster and less annoying than having every 10th primer fall onto the floor and having to look for it.