Regular backpacking pack for backpack hunt

Hey everyone,

Getting prepared for my first elk hunt(archery). Gonna be spike camp hunting my home unit in CO. Already spent a load of money this year getting all necessary gear. Only thing I haven’t gotten is a true hunting specific pack. I already have a Gregory Bartolo 75L that I really like for backpacking. Anyone have any experience using a normal backpacking bag for hunting? Do you think I need to buy a hunting specific pack for this season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

199p

Lil-Rokslider
For years and i ran a few Ospray packs and had no problem with them but the Exo i have moved onto is a massive step up but not critical far more important to get into the hills because the best pack won't make you the better hunter.

Marble

WKR
Hey everyone,

Getting prepared for my first elk hunt(archery). Gonna be spike camp hunting my home unit in CO. Already spent a load of money this year getting all necessary gear. Only thing I haven’t gotten is a true hunting specific pack. I already have a Gregory Bartolo 75L that I really like for backpacking. Anyone have any experience using a normal backpacking bag for hunting? Do you think I need to buy a hunting specific pack for this season?

I did it for 30 years and it sucked. I always had sore shoulders and chaffed areas where the belts would rub, dig in. I bought a Kifaru (not saying it's what you need) and I haven't had back or shoulder issues since. Carrying 100 pounds is never comfortable, but when I'm done, I'm not in pain.

I would suggest putting around 75 or 100 pounds in your pack and seeing how it does. If you are the type of person that can deal with some discomfort and agony for awhile, you might just try it out and see.

For me, the best things I have invested in for hunting are my pack, binos, and boots. For me, those can make or break a hunt.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

nobody

WKR
Need to? No. But do we recommend you do? I would recommend yes.

As somebody who has packed 100 pound loads in less than ideal packs, a good pack makes ALL the difference. Hurt backs and shoulders really put a damper on things and can prolong the agony well beyond dropping the load on the tailgate. In 2021, I packed out camp and half of a bone-in 4 point mule deer buck on a crappy pack. It was only about 3 miles from the kill site to the jeep, but it took me forever to get out. The frame buckled about a half mile into the packout, and it sagged off my butt no matter what I did. Actually sagged to the point it cut off blood flow slightly and my 2 outside toes of both feet were tingly and numb for a week. I vowed on that packout I would NEVER try to just get by with a lesser pack, and I’ve never regretted an upgrade.

Could you sell yours and buy a used hunting pack on the secondary market? The sale of yours won’t cover a used pack but it’ll help offset the cost.

The right hunting pack can just replace your regular backpack for regular stuff, so it won’t seem like a special extra thing. Seek Outside Unaweep is like 3-4 lbs, 100+ liters, but compresses down well since it doesn't have lots of extra stuff sewn onto it. The weight isn’t the issue, with a backpacking pack and hunting loads; it’s the awkward shapes of a hind quarter, ribs, antlers, rifle, which a pack made for that type of cargo will carry better instead of it flopping all around. Photo one is the Seek pack doing a non-hunting activity; photo two is my wife using the back flap as a day pack. I don’t mean this to be a Seek Outside ad; I’m just suggesting that you wouldn’t need to think of it as buying a duplicate piece of gear for just one specific use. good luck

Attachments

• IMG_2516.jpeg
    IMG_2516.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2515.jpeg
    IMG_2515.jpeg
    170.2 KB · Views: 47

Legend

WKR
Hey everyone,

If you like your Gregory run it. I used a North Face pack for all my hunting for almost 20 years. Never did have an elk complain and it has carried a lot of them.

OP
R
The right hunting pack can just replace your regular backpack for regular stuff, so it won’t seem like a special extra thing. Seek Outside Unaweep is like 3-4 lbs, 100+ liters, but compresses down well since it doesn't have lots of extra stuff sewn onto it. The weight isn’t the issue, with a backpacking pack and hunting loads; it’s the awkward shapes of a hind quarter, ribs, antlers, rifle, which a pack made for that type of cargo will carry better instead of it flopping all around. Photo one is the Seek pack doing a non-hunting activity; photo two is my wife using the back flap as a day pack. I don’t mean this to be a Seek Outside ad; I’m just suggesting that you wouldn’t need to think of it as buying a duplicate piece of gear for just one specific use. good luck

That’s a really good way of looking at it thanks for the advice looks like a sick pack.

TaperPin

WKR
Hey everyone,

I agree with everyone else - you’re good to go, but go easy on the weight.

The trend to lighter and lighter packs the past few decades means many backpacking packs are not great heavy load haulers, so more than an average weight can and will rip out seams even with top of the line “normal” models. Nothing against your pack, but I’d put it in this category just based on the look of the strap attachment points. Again, there’s nothing wrong with it, just go easy on weight. Lighter packs are actually better for day use.

Many of us have a dedicated backpacking pack because they are more comfortable for moderate loads, and a separate hunting pack because they haul awkward heavy loads better.

OP
R
If you like your Gregory run it. I used a North Face pack for all my hunting for almost 20 years. Never did have an elk complain and it has carried a lot of them.

That’s badass thanks for the advice.

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
As others have mentioned. You could convert and use the hunting pack for all your backpacking activities and sell your current backpacking pack.

Another cheaper alternative would be to pick up one of the load hauling frames, like the Alps Commander Freighter. You could keep that in the truck and take the first load out with your normal backpacking bag. Then switch to the load hauling frames for the remaining trips.

I used an Osprey Argon 110 for several years (and hauled three elk in it) before switching to a pack designed for hunting (Mystery Ranch then Kifaru). The Osprey wasn't ideal, but it worked. Its main flaw was the lack of straps in the right places to keep loads of meat high and tight on the frame and prevent them from sagging to the bottom of the pack. I partially solved that issue by tying the meat bags to the carry handle at the top of the frame.

At this point, you're getting short on time to pick a new pack and make sure it fits well before season starts. I would say use your Gregory this year and look further into upgrading next year. Take a few extra accessory straps that you can add where needed to help it carry meat better.
Pack In (1).jpg

Last edited:
Go hunt dude!

I look at it like this: the risk of the backpacking pack can be broken into two aspects. 1) Probability: it only matters if you kill something. What are the odds you kill something? I would argue low, less than 50%, maybe less than 15%. 2) Impact: the impact is discomfort, not safety. You'll get over the discomfort pretty quickly. Also since you're a local good chance you have a buddy or two or wife or kids that can help you out if you get lucky.

Geewhiz

WKR
Without having read the other comments Ill leave my thoughts. The difference between regular packs and hunting packs is a hunting specific pack is (typically) made to carry more weight and also a hunting specific pack has a load shelf that allows you to strap however much you want to the frame without being limited to the size of the bag. When I first got started I used a north face internal frame pack for a few years until I literally broke the frame in half during a pack out which wasn't ideal. They just aren't made to carry that much weight.

So, is it necessary? No. But it is nice. And in the event that you decide to over do it and break your backpacking pack in half, the rest of your trip might suck. But, I do understand being limited on funds, so, do what you gotta do.

It won’t matter until you kill something. The stated weight capacity on the Gregory is 55 so the straps will be digging into your shoulders with 80-100+ pounds but that’s a great problem to have, especially with most OTC/low point elk tags.

That being said I’ve seen older mystery ranch pre-guide light MT packs sub $200, which might be worth watching for. Not a top tier pack but serviceable. The terraplane/terraplane line has used the same/similar frame as the hunting packs too

TaperPin

WKR
I and others never had any issues carrying anything we wanted with the old Dana packs especially the Terraplane’s. As far as comfort my old ArcLight framed pack was just as comfortable and as capable as anything I’ve carried today. The old Dana’s had internal built in convertible load shelves that worked great for packing meat. Modern hunt packs do offer features like load shelves and the ability to separate the pack bag from the frame to haul meat that backpacking packs don’t. If your pack fits you and you like it there’s no reason not to use it.
I’ve noticed more Dana packs out of the 1990’s showing up on eBay - I can picture 30 or 40 somethings buying packs for a few summer backpacking trips, it wasn’t that much fun, and they are too nice to get rid of - fast forward 35 years, RIP and onto eBay they go. Lol

I did recently replace a DANA Bomb pack with a nearly new one recently for less than $100 delivered. I think in 1990 my first one was $250. Too good to pass up.

A nearly new Terraplane made in Bozeman for $150 is a steel, so I picked up another of those to replace my tired pack.

100%DIYazCOUES

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve used a baltoro 75 for hunting for the past 6 years or so. I find it a great pack. I’ve used it to pack out a bunch of deer and a few elk with no issues. With all my backpacking gear and a coues in it, it probably weighs 90-100 lbs and it handles it about as well as any hunting pack I’ve tried. Zero issues with durability so far. And I like the pocket layout and layout for strapping a tripod to it etc better then probably any hunting pack I’ve been around. I’ve had no temptation to look for a new pack

OP
R
I’ve used a baltoro 75 for hunting for the past 6 years or so. I find it a great pack. I’ve used it to pack out a bunch of deer and a few elk with no issues. With all my backpacking gear and a coues in it, it probably weighs 90-100 lbs and it handles it about as well as any hunting pack I’ve tried. Zero issues with durability so far. And I like the pocket layout and layout for strapping a tripod to it etc better then probably any hunting pack I’ve been around. I’ve had no temptation to look for a new pack

I was hoping someone has used the same pack, I’ve been loading it with 75 lbs tonight and it feels “good” ish. I think that I’m gonna try and hopefully come September I’ll have a report on how it handles fully packed down.

Jordan

Lil-Rokslider
Before I got a hunting specific pack I used an Arcteryx Bora with pretty good luck. You won't get the longevity out of it because they are just not meant for heavy loads.

Wrongside

WKR
Before I got a hunting specific pack I used an Arcteryx Bora with pretty good luck. You won't get the longevity out of it because they are just not meant for heavy loads.
I also used a Arcteryx Bora 80 for backpacking and hunting for quite a few years. They were decent packs for their time, but fairly heavy base weight and not as comfortable with a heavy load as my current SG XCurve. (Lack of a load shelf isn’t awesome either.) I don’t miss using the Bora, but if it was all I could afford, I’d still be heading for the hills every chance.