Refining Dall Sheep pack list

Cook_AK

FNG
I'm refining my Dall Sheep pack list and would appreciate Roksliders' feedback on how I can improve.

Pack list on LighterPack.

What follows is contextual information for my choices and open questions that I would appreciate feedback on; but feel free to make any comments or suggestions.

Scope and intended use case of pack list:
  • 10 Day hunt in AK non-draw unit
  • Solo (I don't plan to go solo if I can help it, but I want my list to be tuned for a solo hunt)
  • Early August
  • Any legal Ram (this will be my first sheep, so I don't need to count rings)
Pack:
  • Gun bearer: I chose the SG Quick Release Sling but I only hear people talk about the Kifaru. Is it worth switching?

Rifle:
  • My light-weight bolt-action rifle (6.5 CM) and Glock 20 together weigh the same as the AR-10 pattern Roam (6.5 CM).
  • With that in mind, I think the Roam provides higher likelihood of an accurate and ethical shot on a Ram (virtually no recoil between weight, active buffer, and suppressor) and of defense against bears (I would always pick a long gun over a handgun for bear defense).
  • Maybe this is a crackpot idea. haha. Please critique appropriately.

Shelter & Sleep:
  • Tent: I have a Durston X-mid 2 Solid, but believe the Hilleberg Niak better suits my use case due to the solo-ready requirement. Would a Enan be better here? Its lighter, but I haven't seen a great deal of information about it.
  • Sleeping bag: I would appreciate input here. I go back and forth on the weight-penalty of synthetic insulation.
  • Chair: I know. I know. But, due to an old back injury, the chair is worth its weight in gold.
  • Tarp: I go back and forth on whether to bring a separate tarp, and which one to bring if I do. I'd appreciate suggestions here.

Clothing Worn:
  • Pants: I'm trying to save weight here by adopting the @AK Troutbum strategy of using rain pants as my primary outer layer. Is this viable?

Clothing Carried:
  • Puffy: Trying to save weight by taking only puffy top, not bottom.
  • Rain gear: Separate from the pants question above, I opted for a Grunden's Tourney Jacket here. This is the lightest and toughest truly impermeable layer that I'm aware of.
Medical:
  • I'm still refining my actual med kit. The info on LighterPack is not final.
Utility:
  • Phone Battery: What is the best battery these days? Is there a solar panel worth its weight?
  • Headlamp: This is a reflex. Worth it?
Food:

MealItemCaloriesWeight(oz)Cal/oz
BreakfastMush (Oats, hemphearts, protein powder, almond butter, keto creamer)
Snack 1Blocks2002.195
LunchPeak Refuel9205.7161
Snack 2Nature Valley Almond Butter Sandwich1901.3142
Snack 3Fritos160.98162
Snack 4Quest Cookie2502.08120
DinnerPeak Refuel + Olizzi oil packet11206.3176
Daily Total-362523.96151

ChrisD

FNG
Agreed on rain pants as full time pants-they’ll get destroyed. Depending on where you are, down low, devils club will thrash nice stuff. Alder will beat it up too, and make ya sweat negotiating it. I used an old leaky pair of Simms waders as pants, cut the neoprene feet off, and cut them off about 2” above the belt line. They work great to pound brush, cross streams, or go anywhere you expect to get thrashed. Not the lightest option, but it’s what I had, and $ was at a premium, as I was spending it elsewhere- there’s always stuff to upgrade or buy for a sheep hunt

jhm2023

WKR
-I would ditch the Glock and not even think about an AR-10 for a sheep hunt personally, a lightweight bolt action only is my preference.
-Synthetic sleeping bags are crap and their life is limited anyway. Quality down bags are not an issue in inclement weather, pack smaller, and I sleep warmer and more comfortable. Store in sea to summit e-vent compression bag while in your pack.
-Add some cheese to the food list and some seasoning for fresh sheep ribs over the fire. Also, rain pants would be a no for me. The weight savings will be negated by how much more water you have to carry to stay hydrated because of sweating your ass off.

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
you don’t need a water filter. Chances are the water coming out of your moldy filter will be dirtier than the water you put in

Not unless you want to sweat your balls off while simultaneously destroying your rain gear, making them useless for when you actually need them.
I don't agree. When I'm sheep hunting (usually early Aug. when temps are usually on the mild side), I most often wear light wt. shorts with or without a base layer. I'm wearing shorts and a base layer in my avatar picture which was taken in early Sept. I typically wear rain pants when the temps are cooler and of course when it's raining/snowing or I'm going to be hiking through wet underbrush. I've never experienced "sweating my balls off", because of the rain pants I was wearing. I can vent the legs totally open if I want, so that's never been an issue for me, and as far as durability goes so far I have yet to trash a pair. My oldest Kuiu's are over 10 years old and still going strong.

BBob

WKR
Phone Battery: What is the best battery these days? Is there a solar panel worth its weight?
Nitecore or the value menu would be Anker. I have a couple panels but only use at the truck. One 10K battery will keep me going easily for 10 days or more. That's phone in airplane mode and a Mini 2. I have the same Petzl headlamp. I never need the extra battery but they are so light I always carry it.

I don't agree. When I'm sheep hunting (usually early Aug. when temps are usually on the mild side), I most often wear light wt. shorts with or without a base layer. I'm wearing shorts and a base layer in my avatar picture which was taken in early Sept. I typically wear rain pants when the temps are cooler and of course when it's raining/snowing or I'm going to be hiking through wet underbrush. I've never experienced "sweating my balls off", because of the rain pants I was wearing. I can vent the legs totally open if I want, so that's never been an issue for me, and as far as durability goes so far I have yet to trash a pair. My oldest Kuiu's are over 10 years old and still going strong.
You must fly in haha
Theres not a season that goes by that I dont have multiple pinholes in rain pants, despite wearing only when needed, in Sitka Dewpoints, Kuiu Chugach, SG M5 etc....

I think the only time I would consider it would be a hunt where the forecast is continuous rain for a week. To the OP, I think this is a highly personal decision, as you can see here.

Last edited:
OP
C

Cook_AK

FNG
Are two 18”x30” TAG bags really only 1oz? If so I’ll be switching up my bags.
No, I think this is an error from copying my original list over to this one. I'll try and reconfirm the weight but I'm sure someone else will beat me to it.

OP
C

Cook_AK

FNG
This is not true, your being a crackpot.
Haha. Guilty. ;)
-Add some cheese to the food list and some seasoning for fresh sheep ribs over the fire. Also, rain pants would be a no for me. The weight savings will be negated by how much more water you have to carry to stay hydrated because of sweating your ass off.
You caught me sleeping on the spices. I've got tony chachere's packets and theyll be added to the list. Thank you.

Is there a good single serve shelf stable cheese or do you pack your own?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
rain pants on their own weigh ~ 10 oz (that's for 3 layer, full zip ones), I'd personally want pants AND rain pants

have you used your Summerlite much? I had one and I think the freezing rating on it was pushing it a bit and I run probably slightly warm

you have a rifle, no need for a rifle and sidearm; archery hunting—sure

I have the Niak and think it's nearly a perfect shelter for sheep (or any mountain hunt for that matter), small footprint and it's going to survive

I would bring puffy bottoms, if the weather turns cold OR if you end up siwashing on the side of the mountain you'll be really glad you had them :D

I like the SG gunbearer—I've modified mine so that it can be carried muzzle up and forward, no experience with the Kifaru one

I think down is fine, just insure that you keep in a dry bag (in your pack) and occasionally (when possible) lay it out in the sun to insure it stays fully dry

I'd consider adding something(s) in the "stop the bleeding category" in your first aid kit—you're likely going to be a long ways/time from any help

good call on the head net; I was forewarned and brought one—thankfully!

ColeyG

WKR
Haha. Guilty. ;)

You caught me sleeping on the spices. I've got tony chachere's packets and theyll be added to the list. Thank you.

Is there a good single serve shelf stable cheese or do you pack your own?

Tillamook

ColeyG

WKR
My two cents with the understanding that on solo sheep hunts, I prioritize going as light as reasonably possible over comfort.

1. Gun bearer: I chose the SG Quick Release Sling but I only hear people talk about the Kifaru. Is it worth switching?

I've been quite happy with the gun bearer and have not experience with the Stone Glacier version. At first glance, it seems like having the gun behind your arm could prove annoying and it looks like accessing and deploying it quickly could be more cumbersome. If you are reasonably happy with what you've got, no reason to change.

2. My light-weight bolt-action rifle (6.5 CM) and Glock 20 together weigh the same as the AR-10 pattern Roam (6.5 CM).

Take the 6.5 and ditch the pistol and all unnecessary accessories.

3. Tent: I have a Durston X-mid 2 Solid, but believe the Hilleberg Niak better suits my use case due to the solo-ready requirement. Would a Enan be better here? Its lighter, but I haven't seen a great deal of information about it.

The Enan is your lightest option for a 1 person tent. It is a great tent, a little flimsy in the wind like most Hillebergs, but good enough if you take the time to orient it and stake it out well. It is pretty small on the inside and can feel claustrophobic when the weather is bad and you are in it for days at a time. The Niak would certainly be more roomy and comfortable, but you pay a weight penalty for that space. I went with the Enan and am happy with that decision.

4. Sleeping bag: I would appreciate input here. I go back and forth on the weight-penalty of synthetic insulation.

Down all the way. Feathered Friends makes the best in my opinion. 20-25 degree rating is more than adequate.

5. Chair: I know. I know. But, due to an old back injury, the chair is worth its weight in gold.

Negative. If you find yourself sitting around for long periods of time, you are probably doing it wrong. I usually find myself walking or sleeping on sheep hunts.

6. Tarp: I go back and forth on whether to bring a separate tarp, and which one to bring if I do. I'd appreciate suggestions here.

Not on a solo hunt.

7. Pants: I'm trying to save weight here by adopting the @AK Troutbum strategy of using rain pants as my primary outer layer. Is this viable?

That sounds miserable and I echo what Ben had to say in each case. My new favorite mountain pants are the Sitka Intercept pants. Go with the lightest relatively durable rain pants you can find.

8. Phone Battery: What is the best battery these days? Is there a solar panel worth its weight?

Goal zero flip battery/power pack in your preferred size and the Goal Zero 5watt panel if about as well as you'll do for weight and functionality.

9. Headlamp: This is a reflex. Worth it?

I like the Black Diamond Storm or Petzl Swit RL if you want a little more juice.

Good luck!

North61

Lil-Rokslider
Use the gun-bearer and ditch the hand gun. Practice getting your rifle in action quickly for bear defense... take a partner. With a good tent like the NIAK or ENAN go with down in your sleeping bag. Have good pants to avoid getting cut up by brush going into the high country. Take a super light multi-purpose sit pad and use your pack with trekking poles propping it up as your back rest. Best way to lose weight from your pack is to take no gadgets unless they are truly needed. Test out you charger before you go,,almost every make lets an occasional turkey slip through. Solar chargers only make sense for trips over 10 days, or in a canoe.