Redding type S, no expander ball, need mandrel or not?

1badDart

FNG
I use a Redding type S full length sizing, bushing die with no expander for my 22-250, it shoots great.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
The sac bushings are the real deal. I use them in my bushing dies, well the ones I still use that style die on.

If your cartridge is supported by a sac modular die, you can size with a bushing, mandrel and decap in one step now. This is what Iv moved to. Anneal, one pump on the press, slam it through the giraud and load.

Not only is it faster, my ammo is more consistent than it has ever been.
So you use the SAC bushings just dropped into a Redding type S die? Am I understanding that correctly?

Lawnboi

WKR
SAC makes a couple kinds of bushings. One is for their modular die and has the shoulder built in. The other is a standard bushing that works in Redding dies.

I replaced my standard Redding bushings with sac bushings on my wilson dies. I went a thou under what I was using for Redding. They got rid of a lot of the doughnut problem I had with Redding but Iv pretty much moved over to sac modular dies to get rid of doughnuts all together

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
SAC makes a couple kinds of bushings. One is for their modular die and has the shoulder built in. The other is a standard bushing that works in Redding dies.

I replaced my standard Redding bushings with sac bushings on my wilson dies. I went a thou under what I was using for Redding. They got rid of a lot of the doughnut problem I had with Redding but Iv pretty much moved over to sac modular dies to get rid of doughnuts all together
Got it. I haven’t had any donut issues. After how many resizings were you seeing that issue pop up with Redding bushings?

I really don’t want to change dies. Those SAC Modular’s are spendy! I wouldn’t mind changing bushings but it appears the SAC standard bushing wouldn’t really do anything different than my current Redding ones if I’m not getting any donut to begin with, right? They don’t do anything over and above the Reddings do they?

ID_Matt

WKR
I can't say I have thoroughly tested one way vs the other. I have some dies with a button, and some I have taken out. Never messed with mandrels. I have always thought the point of the button was to straighten out any dings or imperfections in the neck before the bushing sets the size. Some of my brass gets ejected on to rocks or concrete and can ding up the necks pretty good.

Lawnboi

WKR
Got it. I haven’t had any donut issues. After how many resizings were you seeing that issue pop up with Redding bushings?

I really don’t want to change dies. Those SAC Modular’s are spendy! I wouldn’t mind changing bushings but it appears the SAC standard bushing wouldn’t really do anything different than my current Redding ones if I’m not getting any donut to begin with, right? They don’t do anything over and above the Reddings do they?
I have ended up with doughnuts anywhere from 4-6 loadings. Your chamber, and how deep you seat can make a difference.

The sac bushings make more consistent ammo. Less chance of a doughnut is just a byproduct. If you watch some of the videos out there it makes sense. And in practice sizing becomes easier, and seating has been more consistent.

The modular sizing dies are spendy but worth it if you want consistent ammo, to save time, and if you plan on getting alot of loads on your brass. It allows you to fine tune the bushing and the mandrel to your desire. The dies are also nearly a small base die and size the entire case vs my wilson or Redding. My main reason for going to the modular die is to avoid doughnuts all together, and be able to do everything in one pressure stroke.

Is all of it necessary? I don’t know. I have noticed my groups and ammo quality improve since switching. Noticed a difference with both the bushings and the dies.

Expander is not necessary. The idea of the bushing is so the neck is not over worked during the sizing operation. Also depends on your chamber size and how much the brass is worked during the sizing operation. I’ve loaded thousands of rounds with Redding fl bushing dies without an expander but only bump the shoulder .002” on my bolt guns. I do anneal after the 4 th firing. The brass will work harden and will get spring back that changes neck tension. You will notice it during the seating if you use a single stage press. I use a progress press so that is way every 4th firing I anneal. Don’t know the volume you shoot/reload so may not be an issue. Just depends on the brass you use. I use Lapua for most of the calibers. You can also get a couple of different sizes of bushings to help get the tension you want but eventually the neck with work harden from the sizing operation. Doughnuts could also be a problem as mentioned but as stated it depends on how far you have to seat the bullet to get the jump you want wether it will be a proble. I never chased the lands either. As you stated just another step that’s not necessary. Again depends on the discipline you are shooting.

I use Redding Type S dies and see no need for the mandrel unless the necks are bent or you are going to turn the neck. I think folks get too caught up in unnecessary steps. The target will tell you if it is working or not. Whatever you do make sure it’s the same thing every time. Consistency is the key.

The Redding S dies in question in addition to the button also come with a threaded retaining cap for the de-capping pin that does not touch the neck. Many other dies give you the same option.

Ahh good to know thank you. I'm looking to make the jump from standard rcbs fl die.

This was a good read. I’ve been loading with Redding Type S bushing die and the expander ball but have been considering ditching the ball. I see why people turn the necks, but many I talk to have tried all methods and seen no real notable improvement in accuracy, or ES. I’ll run a comparison on my own before I ditch the ball and stick with the bushing.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Old thread. I’ve come full circle on the expander ball. I now use an SAC bushing and a carbide expander ball. Graphite lube in the inside of necks. Makes for enough tension when the expander pulls out that I can barely feel it. It’s smooth, not grabby. I get .002ish neck interference with the bullet. Measured TIR at ogive on a finished round is usually within .002”. On occasion a .004” will sneak in the batch but that could be bullet imperfections, and I sure can’t tell which one it is on a target. TIR at the neck and no bullet is .001” max. I’m satisfied and see no need to tinker further when it’ll do this…

Attachments

• IMG_4589.jpeg
    IMG_4589.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Coming full circle as well after about a year from my last reply above. For my 6cm I use die wax on body and standard hornady FL dies with spinal removed for headspace, got lucky I guess with my chamber and die, as kissing shell holder to die with a touch of cam bumps fired brass .002. Then moly powder and dedicated mandrel for neck tension (21 centry turning arbor, .002 under). Measures .003 after spring back, and very smooth.

It's another step, and kinda a pain in the butt, and may not really matter in the grand scheme, but I'm pretty happy with the measured results.