Redding Dies denting shoulder????

DocGlenn

FNG
Got my first set of Redding Dies. FL re-sizer. No matter what I do, it dents the shoulder on my 6.5 PRC brass. I've cleaned it twice, used less lube (to the point I'm afraid it could get stuck) and it is still making dents. Never had this happen with other brands of dies. Any suggestions??? Thanks!
Glenn

OP
D

DocGlenn

FNG
Excess lube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what I've read, but I'm using so little at this point I'm afraid the case is going to get stuck in the die. I've always used Hornady One Shot as my lube, what do you use-recommend?
Thanks!

Did you take the die apart and clean the oil out per the instructions?
I'd suggest brake cleaner.
Btw one shot sucks.
Doesn't lube worth beans for me.
I went back to the roll pad.

Sawfish

Lil-Rokslider
Clean your die and lightly re-lube the cases, Spray lightly with One-Shot, and lay your test cases down for at least thirty minutes in a cardboard box. There should be no case lube dripping off of your cases. One shot is a wax based lube and will appear dry on your cases. Did you read the directions? That is the main cause of stuck cases when using One-Shot.

I don't know if Redding is taking calls until after the 15th due to COVID just something to keep in mind.

Which die are you specifically using? S Series with bushing?

That's what I've read, but I'm using so little at this point I'm afraid the case is going to get stuck in the die. I've always used Hornady One Shot as my lube, what do you use-recommend?
Thanks!

I use one shot as well. A little goes a long way. If I start getting dents I’ll give the next couple cases a wipe with my fingers to remove the excess. The dents will be gone after you fire them. I’ve never seen it affect accuracy or case life.

OP
D

DocGlenn

FNG
I use one shot as well. A little goes a long way. If I start getting dents I’ll give the next couple cases a wipe with my fingers to remove the excess. The dents will be gone after you fire them. I’ve never seen it affect accuracy or case life.

10-4. Thanks for the info. I'll keep trying to see if I can get it solved.

Stalker69

WKR
Is it every case that dents ? Or every other, or randomly ? New brass, used brass ? Did you trim them ?

I had one new Redding die come with grease in it, I found it and cleaned it before I used it, another friend had it with hornAdy dies and it was denting cases so he cleaned it out and it was fine

OP
D

DocGlenn

FNG
I did clean the dies really well, twice, with brake cleaner. So they were clean. I think i'm using too much lube for these dies. They don't have a vent hole, which I think makes it easier to have the problem.
It happens on most every case.

Too much lube or grease from packaging not removed as others have stated. I can't think of any other reason why that would happen.
I use the Redding Imperial Sizing Die Wax.
Call Redding. They have great customer service.

I was having this trouble with Redding dies for 6.5 Grendel. I’ve used one shot for about ten years with no problem, but I actually spray the cases laying on a pad then roll them a bit.
Cleaned my dies like crazy and it was still doing it... ended up backing off the sized die maybe 3/4 turn and it stopped. I’m probably breaking some rules but it’s worked and the gun shoots.

bradb

WKR
I have used imperial sizing die wax for ever, none on shoulder ever and no dents. Yes back in my early days of loading I used to much and got some dents, tell I figured out you only need very little. Never have had a stuck case

Last edited:

powerspc

FNG
Started off with One-Shot years ago but after getting brass stuck multiple time or having dented shoulders I went to this and have never looked back. Works phenomenally on any press, single stage or progressive. Dented shoulders is almost always a case of too much lube. I also use Imperial if I'm just lubing a single case to set the die.

OP
D

DocGlenn

FNG
Well, I solved the denting problem. Switched to RCBS dies, and no more dents. I do think it was too much lube, but i also think if there was a vent hole in the Redding dies, there wouldn't be as much of a problem.