Reconsidering Garmin 66i Purchase

Crusader

WKR
I posted a couple of days ago in three threads here that I'd ordered a Garmin 66i from Bass Pro, as it is on sale for $349 right now, which is a great deal for what you get, inReach and GPS mapping. Just now the UPS driver delivered my unit. However, I'm having second thoughts before even opening the box. I currently have an iPhone 15 (and a GAIA subscription) and a Garmin Montana. I've done a little research (sparked by some comments in this forum) about the looming Apple iOS 18. Seems like there's a pretty good chance we'll have some satellite texting functionality with that. I'm thinking that I'll return my 66i and wait to get the iOS 18 update and see what it can do with my phone. If it does have sat texting then I'll just use that for emergency and use both my iPhone and Montana for mapping and trail hiking. If the Apple update thing doesn't pan out, I could always pick up a 66i or other inReach unit later; likely, they'll be cheaper with time, anyway.

Just my rambling thoughts at the moment.....

Jmort1754

WKR
I wouldn't do that, That's a good price and the good chance that apple will allow two way texting isn't enough for me.

OP
Crusader

Crusader

WKR
Because I don't have an immediate need this fall for the inReach device, I have the luxury of being able to wait and see what happens with the iPhone update. If it doesn't pan out, I can always grab an inReach later. I'd expect there to be similar sales in the future. We'll see!