Recommendations for Airline Ammo Case

I'm going on my first hunt outside the US in September (B.C. mtn goat) and will be traveling aboard Canada Air. CA requires ammo to be stored separate from my gun. I have the large, Plano-style hard cases for ammo storage at home, but I'm interested in purchasing something smaller (i.e., big enough to hold 2 boxes of ammo, but that's it) to conserve space in my checked bag.

What do you all use? Should I break down and get a pelican-style hard case (and if so, which one)? Are the Amazon knockoffs "good enough"? Other suggestions?

AKBorn

WKR
Is it possible/OK to store the ammo in its original packaging, in your checked bag (i.e., your checked suitcase not the gun case)?

OP
VTHunter08
No, it has to be in a locked, hard-sided case (similar/same req's as a gun). Most airlines allow ammo to be stored in the rifle case, but CA strictly prohibits it.

wyosteve

WKR
I can't remember the manufacturer, but I picked one up at Sportsman's Warehouse that I used on a recent flight. But Pelican style works well also.

Gutshotem

WKR
What about a cheap hard sided pistol case with a padlock on it? Should be able to get a few factory ammo boxes into it depending what size you get.

Borofsky

FNG
I live VT And do a bunch of traveling for hunting. I have two pelicans, one for my bow and one that I cut the foam so it hold my 300 winmag and a pistol love them both. I forget the exact model, but they are both great. I probably wouldn’t use anything else.

OP
VTHunter08
Thanks for the input guys! I found a Pelican Vault case on sale on Amazon and went that route. I thought about going with a cheaper pistol case, but I'm hoping this pelican case will end up being multipurpose.

ODB

WKR
You chose wisely. I have two smaller Pelican cases and they get used for all kinds of stuff besides hauling ammo.

willidru

WKR
No, it has to be in a locked, hard-sided case (similar/same req's as a gun). Most airlines allow ammo to be stored in the rifle case, but CA strictly prohibits it.
You sure on this one? Unless it’s changed I’ve traveled with my ammo in original packaging in same hard sided lockable pelican case as my rifle.

I could be outdated since last hunts I flew for was 2019 & 2020

OP
VTHunter08
You sure on this one? Unless it’s changed I’ve traveled with my ammo in original packaging in same hard sided lockable pelican case as my rifle.

This is directly from Air Canada's website:

1690315093952.png

OP
VTHunter08

Other airlines allow them to go in the same case. I packed ammo with my rifle on Delta when I went to CO in '21.

Thanks for the input guys! I found a Pelican Vault case on sale on Amazon and went that route. I thought about going with a cheaper pistol case, but I'm hoping this pelican case will end up being multipurpose.
After the initial pain caused by the cost I never felt I when wrong buying a pelican Case.

kybuck1

Lil-Rokslider
They just can't be in the same locked case. Gun in the locked case. Ammo in the standard original box wedged between my clothes. Did it last year and plan to do it again in a few weeks.

Ammunition must be packed in a separate, secure and strong container made of plastic, wood or metal. The original fibreboard carton can also be used but it is recommended that the carton be placed in a secondary package such as a re-sealable plastic container. To avoid shock movement, the properly packed ammunition must then be placed inside a suitcase and cushioned with clothing

The way I read the rules was gun in locked case (pelican) ammo in a seperate hard case in your checked luggage. I did not read where the ammo has to be locked too. The above is cut a pasted from Air Canada site.

Last edited: