Recommend winter wool pants

gmajor

WKR
Hey guys, I'm looking for a pair of wool pants for winter (show-shoeing and the like), that have some degree of an active cut. I think the best pants I've come across that fit this description are the "Fjallraven Forest Trousers No. 6", but the hilariously overwhelming price (~$540) is obviously not in the same stratosphere as what I'd like to pay. So, what are your favorite wool pants that you think would be suitable for snow?

Last edited:
Check out the Filson Mackinaw Field Pants

MADE IN AMERICA

About half the cost of the Fjalraven

Bob

wyosteve

WKR
Don't know if they still have them, but years ago, I got some great wool pants at an Army surplus store.

duchntr

WKR
I have some sleeping indian and day one wool pants, while both are very nice they don't get used much as I generally grab some synthetic pants instead. Also look at King of the mountain woolens, all american made wool options will be priced high fwiw.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
2nd the columbias wear like iron but are very heavy....since kuiu came out with the guide pants my woollies have stayed in the closet

Madnik

Lil-Rokslider
I've got several surplus Swedish military pants from the 1950s or 1960s that are well made, warm, functional and best of all, available in stores for $35 or there about. I've also had good luck with surplus US wool pants over the years, though they aren't in the same league warmth wise.