Recommend an affordable 0 degree bag for truck camping?

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to buy couple 0 degree bags for less than $200...

I do get cold, prefer to be warm and don't like to sleep fully clothed...Don't need them to be super light/packable, just plenty of length/width and comfy...these will be used for late season truck camping and high alpine spike camps during sept/oct.

Was looking at the mountain hardwear, mammut, and klymit bags...any suggestions on what is trash and what isn't?

Thanks for your suggestions!

*zap*

WKR
First recommendation from me would be Wiggys.....ultima thule or another 0°. They offer a few, some semi-mummy and some rectangular. They also have a system where two bags can zip together to lower the temp rating......so one for 40° and then zip in another and it goes to 0°. Offers lots of flexability.

Last edited:

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a Browning Endeavor 0* bag a couple years ago for sleeping in the back of my truck. I've used them down to 16* with just my thermals and been very comfortable. It's definitely not a backpacking type bag but if you catch it right, they can be a real bargain. I think mine was $50 with free shipping from Midway at the time.

Grillnugz

FNG
Most decent synthetic bags will be under $200, theres Stoic brand bags on steep and cheap rated for 0* for $60. I've used a 32* down stoic bag for winter camping with no issues, solid build/good quality. Walmart used to sell Ozark trail down bags for a good price, but was hit and miss. Some of the baffles had very little down. For car camping a classic Coleman or rectangular shaped bag would be pretty comfortable too

OP
7raptor

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
Know anything about Kylmit bags? Great deals thru costco...

I would look no further than a Cabelas Mountain Trapper(or similar style bag from many other stores/manufacturers) if weight and pack ability aren’t a concern. Super cozy car camping bags!

Edit: just realized you also want to use the bags for alpine spike camps in September/October so that takes these bags out of the running. There isn’t a packable 0* bag I’d trust at $100.

123efd2

Lil-Rokslider
First recommendation from me would be Wiggys.....ultima thule or another 0°. They offer a few, some semi-mummy and some rectangular. They also have a system where two bags can zip together to lower the temp rating......so one for 40° and then zip in another and it goes to 0°. Offers lots of flexability.
2nded for wiggys. I use mine to backpack. It is a little bulky and heavy buts its warm.

Looking to buy couple 0 degree bags for less than $200...

I do get cold, prefer to be warm and don't like to sleep fully clothed...Don't need them to be super light/packable, just plenty of length/width and comfy...these will be used for late season truck camping and high alpine spike camps during sept/oct.

Was looking at the mountain hardwear, mammut, and klymit bags...any suggestions on what is trash and what isn't?

Thanks for your suggestions!
I have 3 Klymit bags right now, just put two up for sale in the classifieds. I really like the KSB XL - its massive and super warm. I only used mine for a couple nights, but really liked it. I am a big boy, 6’5” 250 and I had a crazy amount of room. Selling it to fund a full synthetic for my alaska hunt next month - I am actually having 2nd thoughts and might keep it just because of how big it is.

Podigga

FNG
Cabelas instinct Alaskan hybrid 0 degree. Lots of room and warm for those cold nights.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
Military surplus ECWS systems are rated to -10F. You can find them below $100 at some surplus stores. I've used mine into single digits before. You get two bags and a bivy to knock around with each system, so it's great to keep in the truck for emergencies. Length and width are super generous, I've been able to fit both my fiance and I in a single bag during a surprise overnight.

nobody

WKR

ddigman3

FNG
I have used the Teton bags for truck camping and they are slightly too big as they don't keep me as warm as my backpacking bag that fits tighter. My Teton is a -25 and my Nemo Disco 15 keeps me warmer with a thin cotton liner than the Teton. If you already have a backpacking bag I would save the money and just use that. Otherwise the Nemo Disco has great fit for side sleepers or those of us who constantly roll through the night and they are significantly cheaper in comparison to the more popular brands like SG and Western Mountaineering with more room.

Marble

WKR
I like using a big flannel bag in my truck and then layer blankets depending on the weather. Ill spend my money on my back country bag.

A tri fold 3" pad from Costco is very comfortable to sleep on.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

choovhntr

WKR
Bought the Kodiak canvas bag this year and used it in a wall tent. It has some different features that I thought may have been a little gimmicky at first glance, but proved to work really well. So far I really like the bag. Well built and super comfortable for the price. You definitely won’t be packing it anywhere, but worth a look for a truck camping.

Last edited: