Recommend a handgun for back country protection

Beendare

WKR
Welcome to the forum.

G19 or SW Shield in 9mm but with +P hard cast loads...is what I use in a cheap Amazon Kydex holster modded for my pack belt...or a pants belt. I've got hundreds of miles with mine and I hardly know its there. I use a G20 SF when in Grizz country.

FWIW, Shootouts with growers is a bad idea

Yeah, Werty is right, if you search....lots of good reading on the subject if you search...

____

TheGDog

WKR
The G26 should be fine. (And the 9mm would be cheaper to practice with a lot) Unless bigger bears, then G29 10mm, would probably be best choice, best balance of weight to power for a CCW/Hiking gun.

If I'm going places where I know there's no bears, I just take my Sig P238 .380cp 1911. I'd highly recommend Night-Sights so you can use it to defend yourself at night in the "country dark" when you're camped in your Tent.

Traditional iron sites are pretty useless in the pitch black of nite out there if you don't have a flash light or headlamp on and going at the time.

FlyGuy

WKR
Man, I bought a sig P365 when all this crazy started (concealed carry class next month). I had no intent of using it In backcountry but it’s so damn light I’m now about 90% sure I’ll be taking in with me in September on a CO wilderness hunt. Definitely check it out. You don’t have any Griz to worry about so the 9mm should do you just fine.

You can’t cheat the mountain

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t go wrong with a Glock or Sig in 9mm (since you don’t have to worry about griz). Multiple sizes and ammo capacities to choose from. Both are very reliable brands. Go sort through some at a gun shop and shoot a few different models if you can.

Ratbeetle

WKR
For the uses in the op, I'd go good capacity 9mm. Something along the lines of g43x or sig p365. I have a g29 that usually ends up staying at home in favor of the p365.

Unless big bears are a concern, I'd skip the 10mm.

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Glock 26 I carry when hiking and backpacking. Nice an light, you don't even know it's there. I carry it in a CUDA holster from Simply Rugged.

hcaudle

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re not very experienced with handguns, I’d recommend a ruger LCR in .357. It’s a small five shot revolver, and weighs next to nothing. My wife doesn’t shoot at all, and I bought her a spurless model to carry in the truck. With the hammerless version, you’ll never find yourself needing to de-cock a loaded weapon. Just pull the trigger when you need it.

.454 Casull Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan (y)
Everyone on here says it’s rough to shoot and I guess it’s got some pop with 300+ grain bullets.... but not even close to what I was expecting with a decent hold and a slight elbow flare.

It’s accurate, powerful, shoots 45 colt also for 2 legged human predators..... doubles as a club in a pinch lol. I usually run 4 rounds of 45 colt for a quick gunfight and 2 .454 rounds for if they escape in their vehicle and I gotta take out an engine block haha

400orBust

FNG
I just went through this and ended up getting a glock 29...10mm. Last year archery hunting (solo) I had a griz sow and cub come into my calling sequence in heavy timber. I finally figured out something was "not right" and stood up and they were at 75 yards. Vowed right then to start carrying. Was a bad situation! I'm not saying 10mm is the best for griz but it was the best choice for me to carry from now on balancing firepower/weight/availability etc.

Just to offer a different idea than how these threads usually go, there are some nice deals on .40S&W out there now Well, before COVID. If you have a little patience and shop around I’ve seen them $80-$100 less than what you might expect to pay. It’s currently the Jan Brady of pistol calibers but absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Personally I went 10mm. You can load it down to tame it some or load it up to take full advantage of the nice 10mm ACP cartridge.