Recommend a Decent MTN Bike

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Yesterday I went with my son to some local trails for some mountain biking. We have a couple of older Schwinn bikes that he and my wife ride sometimes. It was quickly apparent that the bikes were less than ideal for this type of riding. What would you guys recommend for bikes that are decent but won't break the bank?

TYIA

mmac

WKR
Depends on what you are looking for really. Hardtail? Full Suspension? I am assuming hard tail, but maybe incorrectly. All the major brands have entry level models that are in the $600 range and they are all more bike that beginners will need. Trek, Scott, Giant, Specialized all make good bikes in this range.

What mmac said above. All great brands. Also, year end close outs are happening and 2023s are showing up. You can find some deals on brand new unsold 2022s.

Brendan

WKR
Depends what your definition of "Won't break the bank" is... Mountain Bikes are like guns, you have entry level stuff under $1K, up to premium stuff approaching $15K.

If it's really just a "See if you're into it" type of thing, you can go cheap. If you want something that'll last a little bit more, I'd go with a 29'er Full Suspension. Something like this:

But, if you want to use it on snow, racks, or hunting, then you could consider a fat bike too.

But it's also sort of like buying a bow, going to a local bike shop and working with them can be a big help if you don't know what you're doing.

TSAMP

WKR
Check your local CL or marketplace on Facebook. Bike guys are constantly upgrading and deals can be found. Ive gotten all my bikes that way.

Components are generally what tells you if a bikes high or low quality, think suspension, gearing, tires. The frames are all AL or carbon, carbon gets pricey.

You should be able to find a 1500 msrp bike a few years old for 500easily

Trek and Specialized are popular in the Midwest. Lots of quality component bikes on relatively unknown manufacturers frames that I'd still consider.

As said above it's a rabbit hole for sure. I'd grab a hardtail in the sub 600 dollar range and go ride. I've bought and sold several higher end bikes and the one constant in my stable has been a GT hardtail that cost me 500 brand new.

Like a lot of these guys have said, hit up your local shop. Giants are typically a really good deal. The same factory makes all the giant and specialized aluminum framed bikes. Components are usually where you see if it is a quality bike. I'd look for something with Shimano SLX or SRAM GX at a minimum. Ive been down the MTB rabbit hole for 20 years, even more than hunting and I ride multiple times per week. Ive invested way more in bikes than guns and bows in the last twenty years, actually maybe not....lol.

I would recommend that if you are new to the sport, don't buy used. Head to the local shop and they will fit you and be able to answer your questions much better than the average mountain biker selling an old hardtail. Lots of really decent hardtails for less than a grand out right now. For a light budget, I'd stay away from full suspension. Lots of complexity and cost there.

It's a great sport! Be wary, it's addicting.

Feel free to PM me if you want a layman's opinion on anything.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I'm a casual mountain bike rider, my $600 Trek (this was bought at least 8 years ago) does more than enough to play around on and keep up with the kids.

tony

WKR
I’m riding a trek stash, a mid fat tire bike, hard tail. Trek did away with the stash line few years back. I added a dropper post to mine.
Surley and Salsa make great bikes as well.
About a year ago you couldn’t find bikes anywhere. One of the local shops shut down because he couldn’t get any bikes to sell.
That said, I’m looking hard at a gravel bike, I’d like to try bike packing, and I really don’t mountain bike much anymore. I find myself riding the local paths which are black top.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I have a buddy who's friend has a bike shop so I'll plan to meet him at the shop and have him give me and my son a walk through of what we need. I'll plan to do that before we buy anything.

When looking at Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace, is there anything I should be staying away from?

S.Clancy

WKR
Yesterday I went with my son to some local trails for some mountain biking. We have a couple of older Schwinn bikes that he and my wife ride sometimes. It was quickly apparent that the bikes were less than ideal for this type of riding. What would you guys recommend for bikes that are decent but won't break the bank?

TYIA
I'm in the same boat as you, I've been looking at the Diamondback Overdrive 29er. Pretty cheap, but decent components. Several friends that ride a lot have told me that it is a great bike for the money. It's also on sale a lot of places right now. FYI.

I just bought one here, if you use "20OFF" you can get one for 430$. Hard to pass on that deal....

Last edited:

Crusader

WKR
I'm in the same boat as you, I've been looking at the Diamondback Overdrive 29er. Pretty cheap, but decent components. Several friends that ride a lot have told me that it is a great bike for the money. It's also on sale a lot of places right now. FYI.

I just bought one here, if you use "20OFF" you can get one for 430$. Hard to pass on that deal....
Wow, that looks like a lot of bike for the money, if a guy had a limited budget. I'm not really in the market right now but that is tempting...

TSAMP

WKR
I have a buddy who's friend has a bike shop so I'll plan to meet him at the shop and have him give me and my son a walk through of what we need. I'll plan to do that before we buy anything.

When looking at Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace, is there anything I should be staying away from?
I try and steer clear from anything older than 4 or 5 years. Also don't compromise on frame size just because it's a good deal. Your buddy at the shop will help you understand what you need and i think the primary value of the shop. If anything I prefer to go a tad small on my MTN bike frames, it feels more nimble and I can toss it around better. Translates to I can do sweet tricks.

S.Clancy

WKR
Wow, that looks like a lot of bike for the money, if a guy had a limited budget. I'm not really in the market right now but that is tempting...
Yea, we just moved to where we are 2 blocks from the start of a pretty extensive trail system. I figure I might as well get after it since the proximity is literally right there.

I bought a used Specialized Rockhopper in Everett for $300 last year. Replaced the brake pads and it performed okay during late BT. Later replaced a caliper and I need to fix the derailer as it skips around on me sometimes. With some youtube video watching and the right tools, they're easy to work on.

Plenty of them around WA, I found FB marketplace, offer up, and craigslist the most useful in that order. Would definitely recommend adding mud guards.

Haven't been lucky enough to pack an animal out with it, but being able to hunt 3 miles in until the end of shooting light and be back at the truck before you need a headlamp is awesome. Well worth the investment.

One question for the group...do you ride in your hunting boots or a different pair of shoes?

One question for the group...do you ride in your hunting boots or a different pair of shoes?
hunting boots , i also use what is referred to as flats, for pedals.
Bikes are fun and addictive. Just like rifles, you get what you pay for.
tubeless tires work better than tubed tires.
hydraluic disk brakes work better than cantilever brakes
tires size matters, but that is a whole thread in itself.
for me, anything under about $3,000 is a cheap bike. Suspension can be nice, and i do have bikes from fully rigid to fully suspended and every combo in between. If you are going to ride the bike for fun, get atleast a front fork.

def90

WKR
Decent? All the big names make a decent bike. The only way to buy a mountain bike is to try a bunch out as they all have differing geometry and feel when you ride them. Most shops have rentals that they will apply to the purchase price if you buy from them. Demo as many as you can on the trails you want to ride. Try a few different shops as well and then pick the bike you want to buy and the shop you want to deal with.

Last edited:

Extrapale

WKR
I bought a Salsa Rangefinder Deore a couple years ago. I am not pleased with the Shimano Deore gear set. It's their entry level setup. The rest of the bike is solid.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk